Um, well....(possibly triggering)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Um, well....(possibly triggering)
I know I should probably go see a professional about all of this, but anyway.

I've been self harming since last year. Sometimes I'm able to go a week or two without doing it, but then I'll get nervous and then relapse give myself another couple of cuts. Usually I'll only give myself a couple per day though, so I guess it's okay.

It hasn't gotten better or worse since I started. However, the other day I purged for the first time and I've done so another couple of times since then.

I know I should go see a doctor about this. However, I wanted to know what I should expect before I make an appointment.

Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.

--Hermes to Percy Jackson, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2014, 12:53 PM
RE: Um, well....(possibly triggering)
(24-05-2014 06:30 AM)TheTastelessOne Wrote:  I know I should probably go see a professional about all of this, but anyway.

I've been self harming since last year. Sometimes I'm able to go a week or two without doing it, but then I'll get nervous and then relapse give myself another couple of cuts. Usually I'll only give myself a couple per day though, so I guess it's okay.

It hasn't gotten better or worse since I started. However, the other day I purged for the first time and I've done so another couple of times since then.

I know I should go see a doctor about this. However, I wanted to know what I should expect before I make an appointment.

You'll want to see a psychologist not just a medical doctor. Psychologists see every walk of life and every kind of problem there is so don't be embarrassed about this. A psychologist will work with you over time to help you change and overcome this problem. You might have to try three or four different psychologists before you find the one that works best with your personality. But please do seek help with this. It's not an uncommon problem among teenagers and young adults and most people get over self harm. It will take a lot of work on your part as well as the doctors and he or she may put you on an anti-depressant.

Take care, everything will be ok. It may take some time but it things will be ok.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I don't have any experience in this area, but I know others here do. I hope they will chime in. I also hope you seek treatment and can get it all resolved. Hug

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-05-2014, 06:22 PM
I've no experience with purging but I have known plenty of 'cutters' including the first mrs daylight. I drove her to emergency rooms several times when she'd cut too deep or taken too many pills.

Do talk to someone and keep looking until you find a medical professional you can work with, this is not always easy but well worth your persistance.

Start today.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
25-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys; I'll let you know how things go

Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.

25-05-2014, 11:56 AM
What to expect? It should be a pretty awesome experience since mental health professionals are extremely understanding and caring. it might take you a couple therapist to find that one you click with. they'll give you coping strategies to help with your cutting, they'll probably put you in group therapy, and probably start on diagnosing you and putting you on meds. the road is tough but it's so worth it.

sincerely someone who is still going through it. it gets better Smile

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
25-05-2014, 02:04 PM
(25-05-2014 07:10 AM)TheTastelessOne Wrote:  Thanks for the input so far guys; I'll let you know how things go

Please do. This is a great place to let your emotions and thoughts out. Take care!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-06-2014, 02:59 AM
I'm currently on web counselling as a temporary thing until I can find a more permanent and affordable real-world counselor in my area (and also a part-time job to help pay for any expenses that arise because of the continued therapy).

Thanks for all the feedback that's come through so far.

04-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Professional help may seem daunting and feel like it's an additional task, but once you make the step then the progress can have you feeling better, I strongly recommend you see someone. They will help you discover why you do this and also work at getting ways to help without using an unhealthy means (like cutting).

Notice how you feel when you cut? You probably know it's 'wrong' but maybe you didn't realize how good it feels? Self harm/cutting can be addictive because of this, and could be treated like an addiction. Those 'feel good' feelings you get from the action can be filled in other healthy, less harmful ways. A psychologist explores this with you in a safe environment and will know your triggers (I do not, so I don't want to say much more). This person will find what works for you in your situation to help you, so when they see you they will probably ask questions to figure out what will help and avoid what will trigger.

Perhaps there is something you can do when you feel the urge to do this to distract yourself until you get the help you need. Good luck!