Um, where is....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Um, where is....
.... the Real Life Debate With Atheists section?

Yes, I know everybody wants to play the role of "The Great Debunker", me too.

But what fun is debunking theists? They can retreat in to the "we believe on faith" hidey hole at any time, so what's the point?

Yes, I know this is an atheist forum. Or is it?

Doesn't atheism explicitly or implicitly propose reason as an alternative to religion? Isn't reason the foundation upon which "lack of belief" is built?

Are we really doing reason if we don't challenge every claim, every position, every chosen authority with equal vigor?

And what is the point really of challenging other people's beliefs when the truth is, we really can't do much of anything about them? Isn't challenging other people's beliefs sort of inherently illogical, an illusion we perpetrate upon ourselves?

If we challenge our own beliefs instead, we at least have a chance of learning something that we can actually implement.

I'll go first.

As a Fundamentalist Agnostic, I firmly believe that "nobody knows". I'm quite adamant about it. In fact, I'm certain. I can make some pretty decent arguments that nobody knows. I'm relentless, long winded, kinda rude, and all the other requirements of fundamentalism.

And it's all a load of crap.

In order to know that "nobody knows" I'd have to both know everybody, AND I'd have to know what The Answer is not. So even though I'm claiming "nobody knows" I'm at the same time claiming that "I know" thus defeating my own position without any help from anybody.

So I'm full of crap. And I know it. See it very clearly. But it doesn't stop me from sincerely believing with excessive enthusiasm that nobody knows. Welcome to the human condition Bozo.

Like that. Grow some balls guys. Rip your own position to shred without mercy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Um, where is....
(25-12-2014 08:26 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  If we challenge our own beliefs instead, we at least have a chance of learning something that we can actually implement.

You really are just a one-trick pony, aren't you? How many threads does this make that you have started with the same old, tired strawman arguments about what atheism is? It was amusing at first but is just boring and more than a little pathetic now.

Quote:So I'm full of crap. And I know it. See it very clearly.

Well, we agree on that anyway.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 10 users Like unfogged's post
25-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Thank you for contributing YET ANOTHER thread to the forum that is little more than an emotional outburst and contributes nothing even vaguely relevant to the stated topic of the thread. We're really short on these meaningless empty content posts, so thank um, GOD! that you are here to help out.

IN OTHER NEWS: A Florida man who claimed to be a fake holyman and the founder of a fake new atheist world religion called "Bozoism" died at his home today of a sarcasm overdose.
25-12-2014, 10:01 AM
(25-12-2014 09:48 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Thank you for contributing YET ANOTHER thread to the forum that is little more than an emotional outburst and contributes nothing even vaguely relevant to the stated topic of the thread. We're really short on these meaningless empty content posts, so thank um, GOD! that you are here to help out.

IN OTHER NEWS: A Florida man who claimed to be a fake holyman and the founder of a fake new atheist world religion called "Bozoism" died at his home today of a sarcasm overdose.

You accuse us of making lazy, empty posts, yet here you are asking us to make your argument for you again.
If you hate it here so much you know where the door is.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
25-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Hey Bozo,

[Image: theres-the-door.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of gods.

To challenge that all you have to do is critically examine the evidence whether each god exists.

Almost everyone has already done that. It's difficult to avoid exposure to religion. And this is the reason why people are here as atheists. So your posts was redundant.

Trying to come up with arguments for the existence of the invisible pink unicorn had the potential to be an interesting intellectual exercise, but in practice all that was required was a rehash of the same tired and flawed arguments that theists use. This thread doesn't even make sense.
[+] 11 users Like Mathilda's post
25-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Aha, yet another true believer revealing they have no reasoned arguments to put on the table. Ok, no problem, I have a solution, my ignore list. That should cut down on my own empty bunch of nothing postings in reply to the Drivel Monsters.
25-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Seriously, Bozo, I'm enjoying your posts at a couple of levels.

You are eloquent and self-effacing ... in an arrogant kinda way. What's not to like about that?

But unfogged is right. We've heard this tune already.

Word to the wise...

TTA is many things to many people... yet, officially, it is primarily a community and in part a sanctuary. It's your local bar "where everybody knows your name".

Secondarily, it is a place for discussion. Yes, for some, this is the main reason why they keep coming back. I'm in this category... incidentally.

Thing is... and maybe you can learn something from even Gordon... all of the latter and none of the former will see you quickly categorised as such by your readership, many of whom will cease to be such because debate... and certainly, the same repeated debate... is not what twiddles their knobs.

Just sayin'

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2014, 11:44 AM
(25-12-2014 11:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Aha, yet another true believer revealing they have no reasoned arguments to put on the table. Ok, no problem, I have a solution, my ignore list. That should cut down on my own empty bunch of nothing postings in reply to the Drivel Monsters.

When you get a reply you don't like....call it drivel, offer no response, and bury your head in the ignore list.
A sure fire way to avoid backing up whatever point it is you're trying to make.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
25-12-2014, 11:45 AM
(25-12-2014 11:30 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of gods.

What is the lack of belief built upon? Where does it come from? What is it's source?

Quote:To challenge that all you have to do is critically examine the evidence whether each god exists.

First you have to prove that "critically examining" is a reliable method for coming to conclusions on the topic of gods.

Quote:Almost everyone has already done that. It's difficult to avoid exposure to religion. And this is the reason why people are here as atheists. So your posts was redundant.

My posts will stop offering the same challenge when somebody meets that challenge by proving that your chosen authority, human reason, is qualified for the job at hand.

Imagine this was a theist forum. You challenge the authority of the Bible, and your challenge is ignored, ignored, ignored and all anybody does is keep quoting you Bible verses. That's what's happening here in regards to reason.

Yes, it's redundant and boring, agreed. So meet the challenge or admit you can't, and we can then move on to a more interesting phase of the inquiry. Until then, we are stuck on square one.

Quote:Trying to come up with arguments for the existence of the invisible pink unicorn had the potential to be an interesting intellectual exercise, but in practice all that was required was a rehash of the same tired and flawed arguments that theists use. This thread doesn't even make sense.

That is a characterization of an argument, not a debunking of an argument. You haven't bothered to tell us why the arguments you are referring to are tired or flawed. You just assert it.

And so half of my posts on the forum have to be reminders that asserting and quiping and emoting....

and proving.....

....are not the same thing.