(Un)affordable Care Act

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2015, 09:54 AM
(Un)affordable Care Act
Went to the healthcare.gov site and did their 2016 preview plans & prices calculator.

Cheapest plan I can get is $830 a month for my family of 4. $13,700 deductible. If I use the subsidies available my payment drops to $500 a month with $13,700 deductible.

No way I can afford it. It's impossible. My wife and I both had our policies cancelled by our employers. My employer now offers a new policy for $250 per person so that would cost $1,000 a month.

I think once open enrollment comes tomorrow and people see these prices, the Democrats are going to be screwed in the next election.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
31-10-2015, 10:04 AM
RE: (Un)affordable Care Act
(31-10-2015 09:54 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Went to the healthcare.gov site and did their 2016 preview plans & prices calculator.

Cheapest plan I can get is $830 a month for my family of 4. $13,700 deductible. If I use the subsidies available my payment drops to $500 a month with $13,700 deductible.

You can't use the subsidies if your employer offers insurance.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-10-2015, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 10:27 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(31-10-2015 10:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 09:54 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Went to the healthcare.gov site and did their 2016 preview plans & prices calculator.

You can't use the subsidies if your employer offers insurance.

Well there you go. Another reason to hate it. $10,000-$12,000 a year just on monthly payments. Plus the huge deductible.

No way. Vote out all the dems. Time to overturn this garbage.

31-10-2015, 10:29 AM
(31-10-2015 09:54 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I think once open enrollment comes tomorrow and people see these prices, the Democrats are going to be screwed in the next election.

I doubt it will be an issue. The Republicans thought it would make the difference in 2012 and it didn't. Then a whole bunch of them got elected in 2014 based on a promise to repeal the ACA when any voter with basic arithmetic skills would know that it was impossible. And when they couldn't make good on their promise it pissed off a lot of their base (primarily those without basic arithmetic skills). Those guys are probably the ones in trouble next election for blatantly lying to make good on a promise they knew they couldn't keep. I have not yet seen any indication that the Republican Presidential candidates are going to focus on repealing the ACA as a focal point of their 2016 platform. Oh, and Romney has since gone from "REPEAL! REPEAL! REPEAL!" to taking credit for it. I doubt it will be an issue.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-10-2015, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 10:38 AM by GirlyMan.)
(31-10-2015 10:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No way. Vote out all the dems. Time to overturn this garbage.

You're starting to sound like Alla.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-10-2015, 10:34 AM
(31-10-2015 10:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 10:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You can't use the subsidies if your employer offers insurance.

Well there you go. Another reason to hate it. $10,000-$12,000 a year just on monthly payments. Plus the huge deductible.

No way. Vote out all the dems. Time to overturn this garbage.

That actually solves issues of insurances companies having the ability to establish their ranges and prices at such levels how? That type or process does literally NOTHING to alter or effect the actual culprits or reasons for why "x" is the issue.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
31-10-2015, 10:36 AM
(31-10-2015 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 10:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No way. Vote out all the dems. Time to overturn this garbage.

You're starting to sound like Alla.

This is nuts man. Middle class people can't afford this now. We lost our plans when we were told we could keep them. I can't give my kids health insurance. I just can't.

I won't be the only one that this affects. Will it be a motivating factor for voting? I usually vote Republican anyway. Democrats probably will still vote Democrat. Will this sway the independents to the right? It just might.

31-10-2015, 10:39 AM
It's not really a health care act.

It's an enforced plan to make insurance companies rich. You can't expect a for-profit entity to look out for YOUR best interests.

How can you possibly get more "bang for your buck" - by adding a layer of overhead that is in it to maximize it's profits at the expense of it's "customers"?

(It's like the IRS calling you a "customer" -- it's complete dogshit -- a customer is a person who goes to a business willingly, because the business has something the individual wants)

We'd get better health care if we had straight up socialized medicine.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-10-2015, 10:42 AM
(31-10-2015 10:36 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're starting to sound like Alla.

This is nuts man. Middle class people can't afford this now. We lost our plans when we were told we could keep them. I can't give my kids health insurance. I just can't.

I won't be the only one that this affects. Will it be a motivating factor for voting? I usually vote Republican anyway. Democrats probably will still vote Democrat. Will this sway the independents to the right? It just might.

The problem is when people think that is new enough that it is some new motivation. really, that's been happening in companies for decades as much as they can do. It's limiting the workers benefits and health care coverage as much as they can, and it's been a issue for much longer and not needed to have been helped by the ACA. It's been the same process repeatedly.

"repeal" only motivates those who don't take 2 seconds to ask, repeal it for what? The posterboy of the repeal agenda was supposed to help win as VP of 2012, and now he's the house leader but he no longer even is fully in favor of the ideas he once had. So whatever thumped up idea of just, NOT THIS, isn't really a strong factor. Because if it means going back to exactly what was before, nothing changes at all for the benefit of people.

All you could hope for in that is, well lower standards will be available so I can afford below low tier costs that I am boned if or my family ever does get sick still coverage.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
31-10-2015, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 10:54 AM by GirlyMan.)
(31-10-2015 10:36 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This is nuts man. Middle class people can't afford this now. We lost our plans when we were told we could keep them. I can't give my kids health insurance. I just can't.

Again I doubt it. My money's on the vast majority of Independents being college educated middle to upper middle class who get their health insurance through their employer. It's a non-issue for them except for maybe the bleeding hearts who see a shitload more poor people insured through Medicare expansion as the humane thing to do. Blush

But don't worry SithLord, it's only temporary. Once Colonel Sanders gets elected you won't have to pay for health insurance at all. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post