(Un)affordable Care Act

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 06:33 AM
RE: (Un)affordable Care Act
(01-11-2015 06:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 10:36 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This is nuts man. Middle class people can't afford this now. We lost our plans when we were told we could keep them. I can't give my kids health insurance. I just can't.

I won't be the only one that this affects. Will it be a motivating factor for voting? I usually vote Republican anyway. Democrats probably will still vote Democrat. Will this sway the independents to the right? It just might.

At that high of a premium I really doubt you fall into the middle class. I work in a field were we structure a variety of these affordable care act plans, but have yet to see one structured so high as yours. The only explanation I can come up with is that you make a considerable amount of income pushing you to the upper income brackets.

Between my wife and I, we're making about $75,000 this year. I did the calculator multiple times last night after I posted this thread and got different numbers every time. At one point it gave me a plan option at $296 a month and $13,700 deductible for the lowest bronze plan. That's almost (ALMOST) affordable for us. I mean, we could pay that much, but it would come from our monthly savings we're trying to put away to buy a house. Now that the exchanges are open today I'll see where the numbers are officially.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015, 06:37 AM
(Un)affordable Care Act
(01-11-2015 06:33 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 06:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  At that high of a premium I really doubt you fall into the middle class. I work in a field were we structure a variety of these affordable care act plans, but have yet to see one structured so high as yours. The only explanation I can come up with is that you make a considerable amount of income pushing you to the upper income brackets.

Between my wife and I, we're making about $75,000 this year. I did the calculator multiple times last night after I posted this thread and got different numbers every time. At one point it gave me a plan option at $296 a month and $13,700 deductible for the lowest bronze plan. That's almost (ALMOST) affordable for us. I mean, we could pay that much, but it would come from our monthly savings we're trying to put away to buy a house.

The $800 seems ridiculously high for your income range, the $300 a month range sounds more accurate.

And are you sure the $13,700 is a deductible and not an out of pocket maximum? If it's the deductible I'm assuming it's the family, what's the individual one?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-11-2015, 06:46 AM
(01-11-2015 06:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 06:33 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Between my wife and I, we're making about $75,000 this year. I did the calculator multiple times last night after I posted this thread and got different numbers every time. At one point it gave me a plan option at $296 a month and $13,700 deductible for the lowest bronze plan. That's almost (ALMOST) affordable for us. I mean, we could pay that much, but it would come from our monthly savings we're trying to put away to buy a house.

The $800 seems ridiculously high for your income range, the $300 a month range sounds more accurate.

And are you sure the $13,700 is a deductible and not an out of pocket maximum? If it's the deductible I'm assuming it's the family, what's the individual one?

The calculator didn't list an individual deductible, only family deductible and max out of pocket, which were both $13,700.

And I'm confused why a plan would be cheaper for one family over another family with the same conditions and no subsidies. Are you saying that income range determines cost even without subsidies? That a family with higher income will pay more for the same plan?

01-11-2015, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 07:26 AM by Tomasia.)
(01-11-2015 06:46 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 06:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The $800 seems ridiculously high for your income range, the $300 a month range sounds more accurate.

The calculator didn't list an individual deductible, only family deductible and max out of pocket, which were both $13,700.

And I'm confused why a plan would be cheaper for one family over another family with the same conditions and no subsidies. Are you saying that income range determines cost even without subsidies? That a family with higher income will pay more for the same plan?

You can get premium tax credits based on your income. Which could lower your monthly premium rate, I think 75k is just above the threshold to qualify though. I guess what throws me off when it comes to you, is the fact that your employer offers coverage, and as far as I know that prevents you from some additional subsidies.

I believe the plan you're quoting is the bronze basic, but I wouldn't worry too much about the Max Out of Pocket, because that figure is almost irrelevant, it's the deducible that really matters. And if you typically get prescriptions every month, and see the doctor often enough, you're probably better off with some of the higher tier plans.

If you don't mind me asking what were you paying previously for your monthly premiums through your employer based plan?? If you ask me your employer based plan seems like high way robbery, and I'm wondering if it's even legal. Because if they're charging you that high, I don't see what they're paying towards it at all.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-11-2015, 07:35 AM
(01-11-2015 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 06:46 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The calculator didn't list an individual deductible, only family deductible and max out of pocket, which were both $13,700.

You can get premium tax credits based on your income. Which could lower your monthly premium rate, I think 75k is just above the threshold to qualify though. I guess what throws me off when it comes to you, is the fact that your employer offers coverage, and as far as I know that prevents you from some additional subsidies.

I believe the plan you're quoting is the bronze basic, but I wouldn't worry too much about the Max Out of Pocket, because that figure is almost irrelevant, it's the deducible that really matters. And if you typically get prescriptions every month, and see the doctor often enough, you're probably better off with some of the higher tier plans.

If you don't mind me asking what were you paying previously for your monthly premiums through your employer based plan?? If you ask me your employer based plan seems like high way robbery, and I'm wondering if it's even legal. Because if they're charging you that high, I don't see what they're paying towards it at all.

Honestly I don't think my employer pays anything into the plan, at least it doesn't seem that way considering the cost. The notice they sent to us was "we negotiated these plans for your convenience." Granted it's a top plan with a major provider but is not affordable at all. They used to offer a plan where they covered 80% and I covered 20%. It was a simple plan that covered the everyday basics, like visits, prescriptions, lab work but nothing major without high deductible. I was paying $140 a month for my part. Now it looks like the plan they offer would have me paying 80% or more.

I liked my plan and my doctor. I didn't get to keep either.

01-11-2015, 07:49 AM
(01-11-2015 07:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Honestly I don't think my employer pays anything into the plan, at least it doesn't seem that way considering the cost. The notice they sent to us was "we negotiated these plans for your convenience." Granted it's a top plan with a major provider but is not affordable at all. They used to offer a plan where they covered 80% and I covered 20%. It was a simple plan that covered the everyday basics, like visits, prescriptions, lab work but nothing major without high deductible. I was paying $140 a month for my part. Now it looks like the plan they offer would have me paying 80% or more.

The employer plan seems entirely rigged to push individuals such as yourself into non-subsidized affordable care act plans. I can understand it being $250 for you and your wife, but it seems crazy that this is the rate for each of your children as well. I wonder if something has been lost in communication here.

01-11-2015, 08:37 AM
(01-11-2015 07:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I liked my plan and my doctor. I didn't get to keep either.

Your employer can change your plan and doctors every year whether you like your plan and doctor or not. Not sure why you think that has anything to do with the ACA. The people who lost their plans due to the ACA were typically self-employed with catastrophic coverage only. Those plans did not meet the minimum standards required by the ACA. Since you've had employer-based insurance up until now I'm not sure how you think the ACA has affected you. How it's affected me is that my rates are going up at a much slower rate than before the ACA.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-11-2015, 08:44 AM
(01-11-2015 07:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 07:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Honestly I don't think my employer pays anything into the plan, at least it doesn't seem that way considering the cost. The notice they sent to us was "we negotiated these plans for your convenience." Granted it's a top plan with a major provider but is not affordable at all. They used to offer a plan where they covered 80% and I covered 20%. It was a simple plan that covered the everyday basics, like visits, prescriptions, lab work but nothing major without high deductible. I was paying $140 a month for my part. Now it looks like the plan they offer would have me paying 80% or more.

The employer plan seems entirely rigged to push individuals such as yourself into non-subsidized affordable care act plans. I can understand it being $250 for you and your wife, but it seems crazy that this is the rate for each of your children as well. I wonder if something has been lost in communication here.

Perhaps. But everyone I've talked to at work said it was cheaper on healthcare.gov so I went there. My wife's job will give her their plan paperwork today so we'll see what that says when she gets home.

The fact still remains though. Costs have gone up. People have lost their plans they've had for years. Employers are using the ACA as an excuse to cut costs.

01-11-2015, 08:52 AM
(01-11-2015 08:37 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 07:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I liked my plan and my doctor. I didn't get to keep either.

Your employer can change your plan and doctors every year whether you like your plan and doctor or not. Not sure why you think that has anything to do with the ACA. The people who lost their plans due to the ACA were typically self-employed with catastrophic coverage only. Those plans did not meet the minimum standards required by the ACA. Since you've had employer-based insurance up until now I'm not sure how you think the ACA has affected you. How it's affected me is that my rates are going up at a much slower rate than before the ACA.

Isn't that the same thing? If the ACA set standards at a certain level, and plans had to be cancelled, that means the ACA is the cause. My old plan was below the standard, so the ACA forced either A. My employer to pick a new plan to offer, or B. My insurance company to cancel the plan altogether, or C. Both.

So yes, the ACA affected me. Right?

01-11-2015, 09:01 AM
(01-11-2015 08:52 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  My old plan was below the standard, so the ACA forced either A. My employer to pick a new plan to offer, or B. My insurance company to cancel the plan altogether, or C. Both.

So yes, the ACA affected me. Right?

Yes, if in fact your old plan was below the minimum standard. But you said it provided basic things like office visits, preventive care and scripts which are kinda like the minimum standard. So what was it about your old plan that didn't meet the minimum standard?

#sigh