(Un)affordable Care Act

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 09:05 AM
RE: (Un)affordable Care Act
(01-11-2015 09:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 08:52 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  My old plan was below the standard, so the ACA forced either A. My employer to pick a new plan to offer, or B. My insurance company to cancel the plan altogether, or C. Both.

So yes, the ACA affected me. Right?

Yes, if in fact your old plan was below the standard. But you said it provided basic things like office visits, preventive care and scripts which are kinda like the standard so are you really sure it was below the standard?

Well our copays weren't cheap on everything. Not sure what it was that caused them to cancel it. Perhaps my department just wanted to cut costs and used it as an opportunity to get rid of it and blame the ACA. I've read other complaints by people with the same thoughts that their companies are doing that.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015, 09:17 AM
(01-11-2015 08:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Perhaps. But everyone I've talked to at work said it was cheaper on healthcare.gov so I went there. My wife's job will give her their plan paperwork today so we'll see what that says when she gets home.

The fact still remains though. Costs have gone up. People have lost their plans they've had for years. Employers are using the ACA as an excuse to cut costs.

Yea, but the cost increases on average have a been a few percentage points, typically some where around 3-4% more than what you might have paid last year, and generally corresponding to typical increases. A situation where you're having to spend several hundred dollars more is practically unheard of, and I wonder how much your predicated premiums, bears out to your actual premiums once you enrolled in a plan. Discontent among those who have enrolled into one of the Affordable care acts plan, is relatively low, and satisfaction to a degree which makes it quite unlikely to ever be repealed.

I would be curious as to when you do finally settle on the best coverage option, what your actual premiums end up being.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-11-2015, 09:19 AM
(01-11-2015 09:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 09:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, if in fact your old plan was below the standard. But you said it provided basic things like office visits, preventive care and scripts which are kinda like the standard so are you really sure it was below the standard?

Well our copays weren't cheap on everything. Not sure what it was that caused them to cancel it. Perhaps my department just wanted to cut costs and used it as an opportunity to get rid of it and blame the ACA. I've read other complaints by people with the same thoughts that their companies are doing that.

That is possible. Under the ACA the employer shared responsibility is only $2000/12=$167/month. But that would be a dick move and if they blame the ACA they're also treating their employees like fools. Not somebody I'd want to work for.

Also, if the cost of the insurance is greater than 9.5% of your salary (which if we assume your Salary is $40000 of that $75000 is $316 so $500 counts as "unaffordable") you can still qualify for the subsidies on healthcare.gov. Also make sure when you're running the numbers on healthcare.gov you enter your adjusted gross income from your most recent tax return and not $75000. That would make a significant difference.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-11-2015, 09:22 AM
(01-11-2015 09:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yea, but the cost increases on average have a been a few percentage points, typically some where around 3-4% more than what you might have paid last year, and generally corresponding to typical increases.

That has been my experience. My rate increases dropped from ~10%/year to 3-4%.

#sigh
01-11-2015, 09:35 AM
(01-11-2015 09:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Also, if the cost of the insurance is greater than 9.5% of your salary (which if we assume your Salary is $40000 of that $75000 is $316 so $500 counts as "unaffordable") you can still qualify for the subsidies on healthcare.gov. Also make sure when you're running the numbers on healthcare.gov you enter your adjusted gross income from your most recent tax return and not $75000. That would make a significant difference.

Not to mention if this situation is the case, his employer would be looking at some hefty fines as a result of him receiving government subsidizes. I really think something is not being accurately interpreted in all this.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-11-2015, 09:39 AM
(01-11-2015 09:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Not to mention if this situation is the case, his employer would be looking at some hefty fines as a result of him receiving government subsidizes. I really think something is not being accurately interpreted in all this.

I think that's right. If even one employee qualifies for subsidies then they have to pay the fine for all employees. I think. You would know better.

#sigh
01-11-2015, 09:44 PM
(31-10-2015 03:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 03:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Alla. For God's sake. You do realize what you just said?

what I am saying is this: when you take most of the money from rich people it will be no more rich people. when there are no rich people there is no free stuff.
When Sanders starts to take money from rich people to give free stuff to all it will be no more rich people. Then Sanders can't give me free stuff any more. It will make me cry.

Come join us in the real world for a change. Dodgy

The majority of the civilized world has better social safety nets and they are doing just fine.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-11-2015, 08:16 AM
(01-11-2015 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 03:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  what I am saying is this: when you take most of the money from rich people it will be no more rich people. when there are no rich people there is no free stuff.
When Sanders starts to take money from rich people to give free stuff to all it will be no more rich people. Then Sanders can't give me free stuff any more. It will make me cry.

Come join us in the real world for a change. Dodgy

The majority of the civilized world has better social safety nets and they are doing just fine.

While that maybe be true, the tax rates are usually higher. I for one don't want to pay the higher taxes that come with better safety nets.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
02-11-2015, 09:18 AM
(02-11-2015 08:16 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Come join us in the real world for a change. Dodgy

While that maybe be true, the tax rates are usually higher. I for one don't want to pay the higher taxes that come with better safety nets.

Well, there's always Somalia....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
02-11-2015, 09:42 AM
(Un)affordable Care Act
(31-10-2015 09:54 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Went to the healthcare.gov site and did their 2016 preview plans & prices calculator.

Cheapest plan I can get is $830 a month for my family of 4. $13,700 deductible. If I use the subsidies available my payment drops to $500 a month with $13,700 deductible.

No way I can afford it. It's impossible. My wife and I both had our policies cancelled by our employers. My employer now offers a new policy for $250 per person so that would cost $1,000 a month.

I think once open enrollment comes tomorrow and people see these prices, the Democrats are going to be screwed in the next election.

Yeah, living in a red state that has resisted expansion of things like Medicaid have helped ensure that insurance costs remain sky high. If you look at blue states, they're seeing price reductions.

It's almost as if partisan bullshit in an attempt to intentionally disrupt reality by sabotaging democrat ideas (which was actually initially a republican idea introduced in response to Clinton's proposal in the 90's), is the reason for your elevated costs.

If you want someone to blame for elevated healthcare costs, you're pointing the figure where the GOP wants you too, but as usual, the object of their blame is a scapegoat.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post