(Un)affordable Care Act

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 09:15 PM
RE: (Un)affordable Care Act
(05-05-2016 08:58 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 07:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  A few updates.

United healthcare has decided after all to leave the exchanges. http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/19/investin...anges-aca/

Insurance companies that have presented the numbers for next year are saying they need an increase in premiums as high as 37%!!!! http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/obamaca...ms-n564226

Can we just get rid of it already?

Maybe they (UHC) shouldn't pay their CEO $100,000,000 a year for a start.

Why shouldn't they? According to google, their gross revenue was $157.1 billion last year. Let's set that CEO salary to $0, and then we can save a whopping 0.06 percent on their customer's insurance costs, or on the order of $1/mo for a typical family. Somehow, I think you were hoping slashing the CEO salary would save more than it would.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
06-05-2016, 03:58 AM
I'm with LDH here. A major pullout by UH is a signal there is a big problem. This system sucks. We need to start over.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
06-05-2016, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 06:45 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Providing health care should never be built around a 'for profit' model.

When you're operating for profit, your focus is on pleasing your shareholders, even at the expense of your customers. This is why for-profit insurance companies before the ACA would regularly deny coverage for people with preexisting conditions, because their profits were more important than that person's health. In a modern first world nation, one shouldn't have to choose between destitution or death.

Look at Stephan Hawking. How much would the world have lost if he'd just been thrown to the curb without insurance in his condition? It's in everyone's best interest to care more than that, for governments to provide for their citizens in such a way. Leave private insurance to offer premium coverage above and beyond, but there should be bare minimum of coverage provided for all citizens. Governments are large enough to do this, Medicare and Medicaid already provided more bang-for-the-beck and less overhead than any private insurance company that needs to cover exorbitant CEO pay, shareholder dues, and advertisements to compete for market share.

The biggest problem with the ACA is that it didn't go far enough, leaving a bastardized system in place instead of revamping things with a true government backed option. It's fucked because the insurance lobby got their hands on it to benefit themselves, instead of being put in their place. Preventing insurance companies from dropping people for preexisting conditions is great, but it still doesn't make up for true universal healthcare.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-05-2016, 10:48 AM
(06-05-2016 03:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm with LDH here. A major pullout by UH is a signal there is a big problem. This system sucks. We need to start over.

You got any suggestions how to go about doing this? Single payer? As a businessman that's what Trump wants. Then he don't have to worry about paying for his employees' health care anymore.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
06-05-2016, 10:55 AM
(06-05-2016 10:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 03:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm with LDH here. A major pullout by UH is a signal there is a big problem. This system sucks. We need to start over.

You got any suggestions how to go about doing this? Single payer? As a businessman that's what Trump wants. Then he don't have to worry about paying for his employees' health care anymore.
I've never grasped how that notions not fought more ... are there businesses at large extents that do want this element? It seems those propagating easier functions for businesses would want single payer or universal systems. That settles a section of detail businesses wouldn't have to deal with as much

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-05-2016, 05:29 PM
(06-05-2016 10:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You got any suggestions how to go about doing this? Single payer? As a businessman that's what Trump wants. Then he don't have to worry about paying for his employees' health care anymore.

I'm ok with single payer. A UK like system where you can buy supplemental insurance is, I think, the ideal solution.

Some other thoughts from me are, in no particular order:
- get rid of insurance for basic things like a sick or wellness visit. Let the market determine the price for this and I guarantee you the prices will come down to something people can afford. Continue to have some kind of subsidy program like Medicare and Medicaid for the elderly on fixed incomes and the poor and indigent. Insurance should be for things off the beaten path, not normal going to the doctor.
- get rid of Fee For Service. That drives all kinds of crazy behaviors
- if you're going to use 3rd party insurance like we currently have, standardize the process so doctors' (and really their staff) spend so much in resources processing claims. That is a huge cost suck.

07-05-2016, 09:14 AM
(06-05-2016 05:29 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 10:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You got any suggestions how to go about doing this? Single payer? As a businessman that's what Trump wants. Then he don't have to worry about paying for his employees' health care anymore.

I'm ok with single payer. A UK like system where you can buy supplemental insurance is, I think, the ideal solution.

Some other thoughts from me are, in no particular order:
- get rid of insurance for basic things like a sick or wellness visit. Let the market determine the price for this and I guarantee you the prices will come down to something people can afford. Continue to have some kind of subsidy program like Medicare and Medicaid for the elderly on fixed incomes and the poor and indigent. Insurance should be for things off the beaten path, not normal going to the doctor.
- get rid of Fee For Service. That drives all kinds of crazy behaviors
- if you're going to use 3rd party insurance like we currently have, standardize the process so doctors' (and really their staff) spend so much in resources processing claims. That is a huge cost suck.

I disagree with getting rid of insurance for sick and wellness visits, letting the market determine price could backfire spectacularly. There are people who won't go to the doctor just because they have to pay for the well visit or the sick visit and a health issue that could have been reduced or prevented might not get detected costing the system a lot more in the long run.

I agree with getting rid of fee for service, some doctors offices already agree to this with current insurance companies, doctors offices are paid a set amount each month based on how many patients they have in thier patient roster. This would have to be done carefully to prevent a doctors office from having too many patients on thier roster where care would suffer.

100% agree on standardization

One other thing I would add is if we continue the current 3rd party insurance system they should all be forced to be non-profit organizations. This way more resources would be spent on patient care and on the employees.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
12-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Great news LDH. The republican congress has just litigated you into even higher premiums.

I'm a bit pressed on time but several news outlets are covering the story.