Unanswered questions by Creationists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2013, 05:24 PM
RE: Unanswered questions by Creationists
Isnt atheism just a form of self worship? And yes i know what it means technicaly, but im askin the question philosophicaly
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Re: Unanswered questions by Creationists
No. Not at all. I recognize my faults and realize I am the least worthy person of worship from anyone.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
20-02-2013, 05:42 PM
You have some funny ideas about what atheism is. I guess that's expected when you just make up whatever you want and say, "This is atheism." For instance, atheists are arrogant. So arrogant we make up whatever we want and say... Oh wait.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
20-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I understand humbleness but doesnt atheism stand philisophicaly with positivism? And if so, knowing that positivism wants to do away with metaphysics, wouldnt that show atheism turnning people towards empirical evidence alone? If so would the ideology of positivism denounce the fact of any faith including atheism? Therefore leaving atheism nothing more than self ideological worship?
20-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Science is based on tentative truths. Induction is logically impossible, but practically fairly reliable. Saying something is true is shorthand for saying, "This is true as best as I can determine, assuming that my perceptions and past experiences are valid and that I don't live in the Matrix or the Truman show or some other untestable philosophical dead-end that precludes further examination."

Modern atheists use the same standard.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
20-02-2013, 06:04 PM
(20-02-2013 05:48 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Science is based on tentative truths. Induction is logically impossible, but practically fairly reliable. Saying something is true is shorthand for saying, "This is true as best as I can determine, assuming that my perceptions and past experiences are valid and that I don't live in the Matrix or the Truman show or some other untestable philosophical dead-end that precludes further examination."

Modern atheists use the same standard.

so modern atheist just use the coined phrase atheist as a crutch and dont stand by the philosophical definition do to induction being illogical. so is modern atheism philosophically different then is standard atheism? because honestly I didn't know there was a difference... I always thought it was a philosophical standpoint
20-02-2013, 06:20 PM
A-theist. Not a theist. However you arrive at it philosophically, if you don't believe in a god then you are an atheist. The notion of "standard" atheism is absurd, when the definition of the word is so all-encompassing. However, modern atheists do differ significantly from Kant and Nietzsche and Marx, and it sounds like they're the ones you've studied. Sorry, you're about 150 years out of date.

Modern atheism has its roots in the 1870s-90s with the likes of Mark Twain and Thomas Huxley, who did not base their atheism on philosophical grounds, but on criticism of religion; its dogma, organization, lack of evidence, and particularly the notion of blind faith. Modern atheism is generally philosophically agnostic; you can be a positivist or a nihilist or a pragmatist or whatever you want. The disbelief is not based upon philosophy, but upon religion failing to match up with observed reality.

Positivism of a sort is common among modern atheists, but it's not the blind dogmatic type you seem to be convinced it is. Agnostic positivism is a better term; any atheist who is versed in philosophy at all will acknowledge that we could be wrong about everything. Our senses might not be reliable. There might be some deity distorting facts or playing games. The thing is that there is an infinite number of possibilities along those lines, and none of them is objectively superior to the others (however much adherents of one or the other might says theirs is, as their preference is based on subjective feelings instilled in them since childhood via indoctrination).

What it comes down to is that truth is inscrutable, and facts are tentative. So you have a choice, philosophically: you can fart around in Plato's Cave for all eternity, or you can knowingly make the unjustified a priori assumption that our senses are a flawed, but somewhat reliable representation of a thing we can loosely term "reality"; and we can use our senses and logic to learn more about it.

Our senses and logic seem to be the most reliable and consistent when we use the structures of science and skepticism; and neither science nor skepticism seem to point to the existence of a god.

This is the philosophical basis of my atheism, and I haven't found many who would disagree with the broad strokes.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 5 users Like Phaedrus's post
20-02-2013, 06:28 PM
What is "modern" vs. "standard" atheism?

You do know, don't you, that "atheism" is not a thing. It's not a club, it's not a faith, it's not a religion, it's not a social group, it's not a belief system, it's not a system at all, it's not anything.

"Atheism" is the lack of a thing, that thing being the belief in god(s). That thing is called "theism" and it has many other names, such as Christianity, Islam, etc., but those are sub-groups of the general term, "theism". "Atheism" is simply not being a theist.

As such, we don't all believe the same things, we don't all know the same things, we don't all reach the same conclusions about how or why the universe is here, we don't all reach the same conclusions about why "theism" makes no sense to us. And we don't have to be the same because we're not part of a group.

So asking a question like "How do atheists come to the conclusion that there is no god?" is rather silly - every one of us will have a different answer, and we'll all be equally correct.

I will answer your question for myself only: I was born an atheist. While I was in the womb, nobody indoctrinated me into any theistic beliefs. As I grew up, my parents, both atheists, did not take me to any church to learn any religion. Still, I was curious, so I researched on my own. I read the bible and the quran, I acquired a couple books on comparative theology, and I've attended a few sermons by baptists, mormons, methodists, buddhists, and even wiccans. I've had numerous theological discussions with believers of many religions. I've examined the question historically, scientifically, and philosophically. In all this, I've never found one credible reason to believe in the existence of any god. It's all just mythology (another favorite subject of mine, but most other mythologies are far more entertaining than Yahweh's) to me.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
20-02-2013, 11:11 PM
(20-02-2013 03:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So much stupid, I can't bring myself to begin to describe the fail.

The home-schooling is strong in this one.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2013, 12:15 AM
(20-02-2013 03:41 PM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  Hahaha youguys are the atheists of today? Im still waitn for how you logically came to this conclusion

I'll prove that your God DOES NOT exist, right after you prove I CANNOT fly.

Ready? 3...2...1..GO!

[Image: logic.jpg]

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post