Unautherised absence for unpaid meeting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Unautherised absence for unpaid meeting
At my place of work there is a meeting in the near future. The meeting is unpaid and not something that can't be put on a piece of paper for us to read when we do have work (but thats a side point).

Can a business in the UK legitimately put up a sign saying ''Failure to turn up to this meeting will result in an unauthorized absence'' for a meeting that we don't get paid for attending, hence being out of our spare time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM
RE: Unautherised absence for unpaid meeting
Post a sign next to it reading:

Failure to pay employees for attending work will result in an unauthorized violation of labor laws

At least that would apply here in Canada. Check out your laws in the UK. I strongly suspect they will be the same.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-02-2012, 04:30 PM
(02-02-2012 04:25 PM)Phenakist Wrote:  At my place of work there is a meeting in the near future. The meeting is unpaid and not something that can't be put on a piece of paper for us to read when we do have work (but thats a side point).

Can a business in the UK legitimately put up a sign saying ''Failure to turn up to this meeting will result in an unauthorized absence'' for a meeting that we don't get paid for attending, hence being out of our spare time.

If you are paid hourly then they can't force you to be somewhere unpaid. If you are salary then they will just claim that being there is part of your job description.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm imagining that they can't make you go. However, in my experience, most employee's do well not to challenge employers on minor technicalities. The big questions are;

Is this a common occurrence?
Will it majorly put you out to attend this meeting?

If the answers are both 'no' then I would advise you to just go to it. I don't think they can do you for not attending but it could damage you promotion prospects if you refuse to do a little extra and end up contending for a promotion with someone who will happily go the extra mile. Also, if you bosses feel you aren't prepared to be reasonable and engage in a little give and take then they may be just as difficult with you.

You know your situation better than anyone so it's ultimately who can make the best decision but I would advise you not to be difficult simply for the sake of it.

By the way I'm also from the UK.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
02-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm with Hughsie. Just go. But put up the sign (quietly) and you may just be suprised by the extra couple hours wages added to your paycheque. And if not, no harm done.

Sometimes you gotta strike a balance between keeping the peace (pick your battles) and speaking out (stand up for your rights). In this case, an annonymous statement could fit the bill nicely.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I do intend to go, and you have very valid points on where your arguments should be brought to the front or not, however at the same time I don't like to be told its raining whilst you are pissing on my roof top.

The management are known to take the piss when it comes to certain areas, although that is not an excuse to not turn up I feel that it is a bit underhanded to state it will go under as an unauthorised absence when its not paid and I am infact on hourly wage.
02-02-2012, 05:02 PM
(02-02-2012 04:57 PM)Phenakist Wrote:  I do intend to go, and you have very valid points on where your arguments should be brought to the front or not, however at the same time I don't like to be told its raining whilst you are pissing on my roof top.

The management are known to take the piss when it comes to certain areas, although that is not an excuse to not turn up I feel that it is a bit underhanded to state it will go under as an unauthorised absence when its not paid and I am infact on hourly wage.

I can't imagine that what they are doing is legal.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2012, 03:50 AM
(02-02-2012 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 04:57 PM)Phenakist Wrote:  I do intend to go, and you have very valid points on where your arguments should be brought to the front or not, however at the same time I don't like to be told its raining whilst you are pissing on my roof top.

I can't imagine that what they are doing is legal.

You don't know the half of it. What they do isn't illegal (as far as I know) but they do some odd things, but this wasn't intended to be a bitch thread so i'll keep schtum....for another thread Wink
03-02-2012, 05:36 AM
I worked (briefly) for a workshop that had monthly unpaid after hours meetings/team building BS.
It was just the best time ever… I got thrown out of one…
This “business mentor” bloke would come along all smiles and tell us if we worked harder, faster, and better we would all become wealthy beyond our wildest dreams.
Yea right…
I asked if doing things for free was part of his get rich plan.
He said no, why?
Because I’m here for the pure love of it…
“Well” he said “theirs no I in team”
Theirs an M and an E in it though….
“That’s not the altitude” with his big flash smile
Theirs a U in cunt…

They couldn’t fire me, it was out of work hours and unpaid!

But yea, trot along, maybe they’ll bring food!

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
03-02-2012, 06:40 AM
(03-02-2012 05:36 AM)Karl Wrote:  I worked (briefly) for a workshop that had monthly unpaid after hours meetings/team building BS.
It was just the best time ever… I got thrown out of one…
This “business mentor” bloke would come along all smiles and tell us if we worked harder, faster, and better we would all become wealthy beyond our wildest dreams.
Yea right…
I asked if doing things for free was part of his get rich plan.
He said no, why?
Because I’m here for the pure love of it…
“Well” he said “theirs no I in team”
Theirs an M and an E in it though….
“That’s not the altitude” with his big flash smile
Theirs a U in cunt…

They couldn’t fire me, it was out of work hours and unpaid!

But yea, trot along, maybe they’ll bring food!

Too aggressive for my taste but still very amusing Big Grin