Unaware of my own bias....until recently.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Unaware of my own bias....until recently.
When I think of my own views about things, I tend to think I have a rational, reasonable view on life and in turn, I tend to think that others who also have a rational reasonable view SHOULD agree with me.

I mean, why not ? We're both rational and reasonable right ?

Well, as of late, I realized that some of my views on certain topics aren't so rational.
I don't have a justified reason for believing the things I believe and this irritates me to discover I'm not as perfectly rational as I had hoped I was.

I have a bias toward a more cynical view of people and their intentions.
I tend to paint in the broader strokes and often dismiss someone's true intentions masked over in the flavor of my own distrust.

Two particular issues come to mind.

One is elevatorgate.
I found myself looking for information about the incident that matched what I already believed was the case (This is soooo wrong).
I felt like a damn creationist looking for evidence to prove the flood was real.

The other was thinking that because I'm an atheist that automatically other atheists should have the exact same opinion as I do toward certain topics. Again (Soooo very wrong)

We agree on one topic and one topic only and even in that agreement there are tons of minutia that may separate us even on this topic.
Everyone has an opinion about certain topics. Backing up that opinion with facts has never been so important to me as it is now.

Lastly - Let evidence lead you to your opinion. Don't let your opinion lead you to look for evidence.

Have any of you ever caught yourself like this and realized "Oh wow, I do have a bias" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
17-08-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: Unaware of my own bias....until recently.
(17-08-2013 01:56 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Two particular issues come to mind.

One is elevatorgate.

Yeah, that changed my life, too. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2013, 02:23 PM
You are, first and foremost, a human being.

Your brain is not a computer, it has to deal with a lot of assorted input a computer doesn't have to deal with.

Hence, you can only try to live up to your ideals, but you also need to accept that this will not always be the case.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-08-2013, 02:31 PM
I think we also have certain biases that are learned or are created over time, especially when we are young. If you hear the people around you speaking in a certain way about certain things often enough, it takes hold. Kind of along the lines of religious indoctrination. Your geographical location, your socio-economic background, your culture, your exposure to other ideologies...all those things set up a way of making initial judgements.

That's not to say that along the way you don't/can't change those biases through your own life experiences, but there is a kind of a pattern that can be set in an almost subliminal way.

I know of people who carry prejudices (racial in this instance) that upon being around their family I was able to see where things were said that set up preconceptions even if only through hearing things repetitively.

It's why many people are of a certain faith, it is the faith of their family many times. I know that there came a time when I stopped to question...do I believe this or was I told I believe this.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-08-2013, 02:42 PM
That is why the highest virtue is wisdom.

"I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."

Being bias is normal, you should just never assume that you are correct about any thing.

That creates the paradox in my signature.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
17-08-2013, 03:12 PM
(17-08-2013 01:56 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When I think of my own views about things, I tend to think I have a rational, reasonable view on life and in turn, I tend to think that others who also have a rational reasonable view SHOULD agree with me.

Well, as of late, I realized that some of my views on certain topics aren't so rational.
I don't have a justified reason for believing the things I believe and this irritates me to discover I'm not as perfectly rational as I had hoped I was.

I tend to paint in the broader strokes and often dismiss someone's true intentions masked over in the flavor of my own distrust.

One is elevatorgate.
I found myself looking for information about the incident that matched what I already believed was the case (This is soooo wrong).
I felt like a damn creationist looking for evidence to prove the flood was real.

The other was thinking that because I'm an atheist that automatically other atheists should have the exact same opinion as I do toward certain topics. Again (Soooo very wrong)

We agree on one topic and one topic only and even in that agreement there are tons of minutia that may separate us even on this topic.
Everyone has an opinion about certain topics. Backing up that opinion with facts has never been so important to me as it is now.

Lastly - Let evidence lead you to your opinion. Don't let your opinion lead you to look for evidence.

Have any of you ever caught yourself like this and realized "Oh wow, I do have a bias" ?

Human brains are wired to have bias. If you're human and using your brain, then you have a bias.

One of the most intractable of biases is "I don't have a bias."

The solution isn't to eliminate bias. That is virtually impossible. The solution is to adopt a process of reasoning that leads to truth in spite of bias.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
17-08-2013, 03:17 PM
(17-08-2013 03:12 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 01:56 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When I think of my own views about things, I tend to think I have a rational, reasonable view on life and in turn, I tend to think that others who also have a rational reasonable view SHOULD agree with me.

One is elevatorgate.

Human brains are wired to have bias. If you're human and using your brain, then you have a bias.

The solution isn't to eliminate bias. That is virtually impossible. The solution is to adopt a process of reasoning that leads to truth in spite of bias.

Something like the scientific method, perhaps?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-08-2013, 03:18 PM
(17-08-2013 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 03:12 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Human brains are wired to have bias. If you're human and using your brain, then you have a bias.

Something like the scientific method, perhaps?

Why, yes, something very much like that indeed. Angel

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
17-08-2013, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2013 10:28 PM by Dark Light.)
MY BRAIN IS A COMPUTER!

Oh yeah, Rahn. All these other people around me *points fingers in all directions* are idiots! Tongue

No two people have the same opinions about everything. Our beliefs are a commonality, but we are molded by our makeup and or experiences. We are a faulty, all biased, all right on some things, all wrong on some things, we all have differing opinions to questions that have no right answers and most of all it is the other people who are wrong. Doncha forget it. No such thing as an unbiased organism.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I appreciate the replies. It's really been an eye opener, but as long as I'm aware of my bias maybe I can spot it before I type it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results