Unaware of my own bias....until recently.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2013, 09:00 PM
RE: Unaware of my own bias....until recently.
I think the most important thing to realize is that bias can develop from different emphasis. Two people using the same predicates can in fact end up at different conclusions simply by how important the hold different opinions.

For example my dad and I are both Catholic. However my Dad always votes while I would only vote conservative. Even though we agree on almost all points, he chooses environmentalism and alternative energy as is focus whereas I choose topics like abortion to make my decision.

Also remember your burden of proof may very well be different than another's. Some people might accept that New Zealand is a country based on a stranger telling them it exists, while others may require to take a plane to go there (extreme examples).

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2013 10:00 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
What makes you rational, is that you're able to recognize it. Most aren't.

That being said, I think of that often. The fact that 'you' also are an atheist doesn't mean that you should agree with me on more than lack of belief in "God" or gods. I personally like meeting atheist that don't believe in everything that I do. I think it's important because we aren't all in shoe boxes, even though theist would like to put us there. Because I feel this way about one thing does not mean you know everything about me, and we can't do that to ourselves. And I do love when I see that expressed in the real world. Even when it's a thing I don't personally agree with.

17-08-2013, 10:16 PM
(17-08-2013 01:56 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
Have any of you ever caught yourself like this and realized "Oh wow, I do have a bias" ?

Yes.

I have a bias towards using process and facts rather than hearsay and rumour.

It's why I don't read newspapers or watch television.

(17-08-2013 03:12 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
The solution isn't to eliminate bias. That is virtually impossible. The solution is to adopt a process of reasoning that leads to truth in spite of bias.

Not "truth" as in 'absolute' but 'truth' as in 'ideal'.

(17-08-2013 02:42 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  That is why the highest virtue is wisdom.

If anyone is interested, I can offer 37 processes (enablers) that can help guide us to "Wisdom".

For a small fee!
Big Grin

17-08-2013, 10:35 PM
(17-08-2013 10:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If anyone is interested, I can offer 37 processes (enablers) that can help guide us to "Wisdom".
For a small fee!
Big Grin

*Digs out wallet*

Hey! Wait a sec! Are you on TV?

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post