Unbearable Lightness of Being

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Unbearable Lightness of Being
Do you think that the universe and its events have already occurred and will recur again (infinitly), OR that each person has only one life to live, and things that occur in life occurs only once and never again?

Huh

If you are interested in why I am asking this question, well it is because of a book called Unbearable Lightness of Being. You can find it Here
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
RE: Unbearable Lightness of Being
(01-06-2011 11:54 AM)godofskeptic Wrote:  Do you think that the universe and its events have already occurred and will recur again (infinitly), OR that each person has only one life to live, and things that occur in life occurs only once and never again?

Huh

Well if the universe is infinite than the first scenario should be good, but if it's finite than the second part looks better.
Sometimes I also feel life to be unbearably light, but that 's just somehow beautiful. Blush

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2011, 10:28 PM
As far as I can tell, I will never exist again after I die. There is no afterlife, no rebirth or reincarnation. It may be comfortable to think so, but not rational.
The universe may begin again, possibly even infinitely, but even though the same series of events may well happen in an infinite loop, I don't see reason to think it will be me witnessing them.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
(02-06-2011 10:28 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  As far as I can tell, I will never exist again after I die. There is no afterlife, no rebirth or reincarnation. It may be comfortable to think so, but not rational.
The universe may begin again, possibly even infinitely, but even though the same series of events may well happen in an infinite loop, I don't see reason to think it will be me witnessing them.

I totally agree that there is no afterlife,... . But what I am asking here is different.
Let me first give you a quote from wikipedia:

"Challenging Friedrich Nietzsche’s concept of eternal recurrence (the idea that the universe and its events have already occurred and will recur ad infinitum), the story’s thematic meditations posit the alternative; that each person has only one life to live, and that which occurs in life occurs only once and never again — thus the “lightness” of being. In contrast, the concept of eternal recurrence imposes a “heaviness” on our lives and on the decisions we make (to borrow from Nietzsche's metaphor, it gives them "weight".) Nietzsche believed this heaviness could be either a tremendous burden or great benefit depending on the individual's perspective.

The German expression, Einmal ist keinmal (once is nothing) encapsulates “lightness,” the concept of which is well expressed in the quote: “what happens but once, might as well not have happened at all. If we have only one life to live, we might as well not have lived at all.” Following this logic, life is insignificant, and decisions do not matter, and are thus rendered light, because they do not cause personal suffering. Yet the insignificance of decisions — our being — causes us great suffering, perceived as the unbearable lightness of being consequent to one’s awareness of life occurring once and never again; thus no one person’s actions are universally significant. This insignificance is existentially unbearable when it is considered that people want their lives to have transcendent meaning."

So do you agree with Nietzsche’s view, or the other view?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Let's say for the sake of argument in some period of time - call it a trillion years - we will do all this again. So what? If we don't remember it and we have no knowledge of it, then its' like it only happened once to us.

As for the views, I'm with Nietzsche. We have one life to live and we have to do the best we can with it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost