Unbeliever, Free Thinker, New to the Community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Unbeliever, Free Thinker, New to the Community
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've watched many of Seth's YouTube video's over the past couple of months, and for some reason just never noticed the website and forum, so very glad to be here!

A little about me...

I was born and raised in the Bible Belt, and therefore grew up as a believer. I guess I'd classify my former religious affiliation as Born Again Evangelical Christianity. Over my lifetime I was involved in several churches. Personally, although I believed, went to church, Bible studies, etc... it just never quite felt right to me, but when you're spoon fed belief from birth its very hard to even question it.

I have never been one to accept simple answers for things though. I became an agnostic / atheist through my quest to learn more about the historicity of Jesus, the origins of the Bible, the accuracies and evidence in its texts, etc., etc... My goal of course was to strengthen my faith, and maybe find more meaning in life and my beliefs. I can't put my finger on an exact date now, but that was probably somewhere between 5 - 7 years ago.

Needless to say that after learning some truths I quickly became a doubter, and then just flat out rejected the claims of Christianity. The process was surprisingly quick, albeit quite unsettling. I investigated the origins of the other major religions of the world as well after that, Judaism, Islam, Hindu... even Satanism... mostly out of morbid curiosity Wink. I was surprised to find the morality in Leveyan Satanism to sound the most sensible to me! Bottom line though, I quickly came to the determination that all religion was a crock of shit.

At that point I was probably on the border of a deist or atheist, but definitely leaning towards the atheist side. It was incredibly liberating to allow myself to think rationally in all aspects of my life, and to throw the gullibility of faith and belief aside. It was just in the past year or two when I read a definitive definition of atheism, or maybe it was an explanation of it from another atheist, that I was able to say "Hey that's me! I just don't believe unless you have evidence to support it!".

Recently my unbelief has become even more dear to me because, after having a falling out with my parents over 7 years ago and having no contact with them during that time, I have begun to rebuild a relationship with them. The falling out had nothing to do with my belief, however the topic is close to the surface now that I am in contact with them again. I foresee "coming out" in the very near future.

Anyways, I'm getting long winded, but just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I look forward to rational discussion with fellow free thinkers!

-- LC
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LostCyborg's post
22-11-2013, 08:49 AM
RE: Unbeliever, Free Thinker, New to the Community
Great to have you here, welcome to the forum Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
22-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi LC, nice intro, some are too long TLDNR, and others are "I'm bob from Europe" (you know who you are).

" The process was surprisingly quick, albeit quite unsettling."

Happens that way to most of us I think, like light switch going on, some brain function adding or removing a line of code.
If x=unknown then goto, god turn left.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-11-2013, 09:36 AM
(22-11-2013 09:05 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Happens that way to most of us I think, like light switch going on, some brain function adding or removing a line of code.
If x=unknown then goto, god turn left.

Haha... I love this! So glad evolution left that sub-routine in there.
22-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Welcome! Pull up a chair and join right in. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-11-2013, 09:56 AM
(22-11-2013 09:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  Welcome! Pull up a chair and join right in. Drinking Beverage

Thanks! I love that dog btw. Beautiful animal.
22-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi LCyborg - glad you found the place - interesting things going among a fairly diverse crowd. I'm sure something will catch your eye.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Good intro, welcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-11-2013, 10:52 AM