Unbroken, and why I am sick of war movies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Unbroken, and why I am sick of war movies.
OP/ED,

No this is not about this one movie, but the long term glorification of war. One can hate the glorification of war, and still value those who protect us. War is nothing to be proud of, it is simply an unfortunate part of human existence. Just like a doctor does not like finding out his patient has cancer, or doesn't like pulling a bullet out of a body. You can value that they are around to do those things, but ethical doctors will often tell you because of some of the things humans do, they wish you would not give them work.

If we are going to make movies about war, we should not sugar coat it as all right and all wrong, even if we are on the right side of history. America has not always done the right thing. We owned slaves, we killed off Native Americans, and we held innocent Japanese in prison camps during WW2.

The war movies I can enjoy, are not the endurance crap, but the risks of compassion, like Oscar Shindler. It is easy to show the risks of the guys with guns, and that constitutes the majority of these types of movies.

Here is a guy I think deserves a movie that few outside Japan know about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
10-01-2015, 06:45 AM
RE: Unbroken, and why I am sick of war movies.
I have a big problem with any fiction.

In a world where most of our news is fiction to some degree or another, do we really need any more?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
10-01-2015, 06:54 AM
I can totally relate. It seems that the US is obsessed with war movies, hardly ever presenting war as a bad thing.

I guess it makes sense, it's a quite efficient brainwashing method to get more people to volunteer for war. People who actually want to be in the army here in Greece do it for the money, hoping to get a seat in an office and never have to go to war.

Why Americans are willing to risk death in that way is beyond me.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-01-2015, 07:02 AM
(10-01-2015 06:45 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I have a big problem with any fiction.

In a world where most of our news is fiction to some degree or another, do we really need any more?

I don't have a problem with fiction. Why would you have a problem with fiction, that makes no sense? As if you could stop people from writing it in any case.

My criticism is about amount and focus and content, not that it is done.

The TV show MASH shaped me quite a bit. Out side the supporters of North Korea's leaders, the civilized west rightfully views their rule, back then and now as evil. But when you look at the main characters outside of Frank Burns, who was a gun ho dickead reflective of the Fox News viewers, the depictions of the sane characters like Hawkeye you know that war is nothing to be glorified. War is hell.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
10-01-2015, 07:15 AM
I used to work at a mom an pop shop old folks radio station back in the late 90s. I forgot which year it was when they built the WW2 memorial in Bedford Va. We recorded the event on tape to be played on air the next day in studio.

One of the men who served gave an account that to this day gives me chills. He described gaining and advantage on a German position to the point he got the drop on two unarmed German soldiers, who attempted to run from him. He shot them in the back to kill them. That was an unfortunate brave admission on his part. He said he did not want to do it, but his worry was that if they got away he would simply end up fighting with some other unit.

That is the reality of war, just like the makers of the atomic bomb. Not one of the scientists on that project was happy about the completion of it. And having been to Japan myself seeing a museum of Japanese conflicts, even prior to WW2, including WW2 including pictures of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the only conclusion you can come to is that we are the same species.

Humans can be very cruel to each other and we need to not sugar coat it.

[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
10-01-2015, 08:17 AM
(10-01-2015 07:02 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(10-01-2015 06:45 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I have a big problem with any fiction.

I don't have a problem with fiction. Why would you have a problem with fiction, that makes no sense? As if you could stop people from writing it in any case.

My criticism is about amount and focus and content, not that it is done.

The TV show MASH shaped me quite a bit. Out side the supporters of North Korea's leaders, the civilized west rightfully views their rule, back then and now as evil. But when you look at the main characters outside of Frank Burns, who was a gun ho dickead reflective of the Fox News viewers, the depictions of the sane characters like Hawkeye you know that war is nothing to be glorified. War is hell.

My fundamental problem with fiction is worth a thread of its own and I would not want to derail this one with the discussion. At some point I'll post there and we can have at it.

Not being evasive, just respecting the thread. Cool

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
10-01-2015, 08:54 AM
(10-01-2015 07:15 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Humans can be very cruel to each other and we need to not sugar coat it.

I wuz thinking about this the other day. Bombs don't make anyone happy as far as I know. But we have whole industries devoted to making them and other tools whose main purpose is killing large numbers of thinking, feeling, highly evolved apes in as efficient a manner as possible. Just seems a bit sad is all Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-01-2015, 09:52 AM
(10-01-2015 08:17 AM)gofish! Wrote:  My fundamental problem with fiction is worth a thread of its own and I would not want to derail this one with the discussion. At some point I'll post there and we can have at it.

Not being evasive, just respecting the thread. Cool

Please do that, I'm interested in that subject too Thumbsup

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
10-01-2015, 11:36 AM
I don't get it, are you against war movies in general or against war movies that sugar coat the events? And historical-based movies or invented ones?

Maybe if we were talking about specific examples, it'd be easier to talk about this because in general, I agree about not sugar-coating war movies, also because it makes them less realistic.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
10-01-2015, 12:17 PM
(10-01-2015 07:02 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  The TV show MASH shaped me quite a bit. Out side the supporters of North Korea's leaders, the civilized west rightfully views their rule, back then and now as evil. But when you look at the main characters outside of Frank Burns, who was a gun ho dickead reflective of the Fox News viewers, the depictions of the sane characters like Hawkeye you know that war is nothing to be glorified. War is hell.

I had dinner with the actor that played Frank Burns when I was in college.

just a tidbit of nothing to throw into this thread.

carry on.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post