Unbroken, and why I am sick of war movies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2015, 12:43 PM
RE: Unbroken, and why I am sick of war movies.
Ever since I read "War and Peace" I've been of the opinion that mostly war is a complete waste of time, lives and treasure. They're an attempt to "impose" an artificial (fake historical reality) *veneer* on top of social realities playing out in history. It's why Iraq was an utter waste of resources. Paul Wolfowitz and the idiot Neo-cons at the University of Chicago, + the monied class (Dick Cheney et al) really should have known better. What was accomplished ? Nothing ... except to destabilize a society that was not ready to change from the inside. I recognize that when a wacko regime/group (such as ISOL/ISIS) overwhelming, devastating force has to be available to stop them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2015, 02:00 PM
brings to mind that history is written by the victors. If Nazi Germany had won, and made the world germany, and the world capital germania like hitler dreamed, I am sure the history books would have been full of dramatic hero-based stories of the german soldiers destroying the evil world empire, and movies of their heroic deeds would be the rage. Like in America with our comboy and indian movies of the 50s. Circle the wagons! The savages are upon us!...and the brave settlers shooting the bad indians. The story of columbus, the story of custer etc....having just finished a history of native american course i can attest it is appalling. With the exception of the jews experience in WW2, the native americans experience with europeans is most likely the most brutal and disheartening....yet the history book and americana show otherwise..

SO since we have grown up in america drinking the kool aid of "America! F Yeah!" dumbass rhetoric, is it any surprise these pro war, pro american soldier movies like blackhawk down etc get made yearly? There are some amazing stories of absolute bravery done by our men and women in combat, but that of course is the only stories that get told. This coming from a very patriotic soldier with three tours in combat. War is not cool, war is not glorious, war is sickening. I shed no tears for the garbage I took out of the gene pool overseas, as they were enemy combatants trying to kill us, and you can say, perspective changes the definition of terrorist all you want, and I will agree with you, but we dont strap bombs to children, blow up markets, and stone women to death. We do drop bombs and fly drones though, so perspective can be very subjective, in the end, dead is dead.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
10-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Big time "hear, hear!"

I went on a tear about the movie (and book) Unbroken on the movie rating thread here. Hillenbrand (and Jolie) are engaged in the most embarrassing kind of bogus myth-making. And Americans eat that up.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
16-01-2015, 10:29 AM
So with the differing opinions in here, I'm wondering what you guys would think about the premise of a new tv show based on the book 'The Man In the High Castle'?

A scenario where WW2 was won by Japan and Germany and America is divided and occupied like Germany was. I don't know anything about the book and the show is at pilot status so it may not make a full run if it's not well received. I think it was nicely done and the fiction part is really good food for thought.

Here's a trailer:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2015, 04:45 PM
(10-01-2015 06:54 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I can totally relate. It seems that the US is obsessed with war movies, hardly ever presenting war as a bad thing.

I guess it makes sense, it's a quite efficient brainwashing method to get more people to volunteer for war. People who actually want to be in the army here in Greece do it for the money, hoping to get a seat in an office and never have to go to war.

Why Americans are willing to risk death in that way is beyond me.

I don't know, most of the war movies I have seen have been ambivalent at best about the value of war. I can't recall too many that have glorified it. I'm talking about movies like Slaughterhouse Five, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, and Saving Private Ryan. One of my friends actually refused to go see Saving Private Ryan with me (I went alone) because he "heard it was anti-war". I had to scratch my head and say "So what's wrong with that? Are you pro-war?" Maybe I just seek out those kinds of movies and avoid the pro-war ones.

Personally, I want nothing to do with war, and those movies did nothing to change my mind. If anything, they reinforced my abhorrence.
16-01-2015, 04:51 PM
(16-01-2015 04:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-01-2015 06:54 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I can totally relate. It seems that the US is obsessed with war movies, hardly ever presenting war as a bad thing.

I guess it makes sense, it's a quite efficient brainwashing method to get more people to volunteer for war. People who actually want to be in the army here in Greece do it for the money, hoping to get a seat in an office and never have to go to war.

I don't know, most of the war movies I have seen have been ambivalent at best about the value of war. I can't recall too many that have glorified it. I'm talking about movies like Slaughterhouse Five, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, and Saving Private Ryan. One of my friends actually refused to go see Saving Private Ryan with me (I went alone) because he "heard it was anti-war". I had to scratch my head and say "So what's wrong with that? Are you pro-war?" Maybe I just seek out those kinds of movies and avoid the pro-war ones.

Personally, I want nothing to do with war, and those movies did nothing to change my mind. If anything, they reinforced my abhorrence.

How was saving private Ryan antiwar?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-01-2015, 07:28 PM
(16-01-2015 04:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 04:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I don't know, most of the war movies I have seen have been ambivalent at best about the value of war. I can't recall too many that have glorified it. I'm talking about movies like Slaughterhouse Five, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, and Saving Private Ryan. One of my friends actually refused to go see Saving Private Ryan with me (I went alone) because he "heard it was anti-war". I had to scratch my head and say "So what's wrong with that? Are you pro-war?" Maybe I just seek out those kinds of movies and avoid the pro-war ones.

How was saving private Ryan antiwar?

I didn't think it was explicitly anti-war, but it didn't make it look like some cool video game. It showed the way it really is (presumably -- I have never experienced war, so who am I to say?) -- people on both sides die, often painfully and horribly, and often for stupid reasons, and even the winners pay a heavy price. It's not the kind of movie that would make me run out and join the Army the next day. If I wasn't already anti-war, I certainly would be after watching that movie.
18-01-2015, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 07:39 PM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)

I don't know, most of the war movies I have seen have been ambivalent at best about the value of war. I can't recall too many that have glorified it.

Off the top of my head?

The Dirty Dozen.
Rambo 3
Platoon (Very borderline)
Force 10 from Navarone (More so than The Guns of)
Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD (Saw it last night. Actually really awesome.)
The Avengers
Delta Force
Megaforce
Invasion USA
The first Red Dawn movie (Haven't seen the remake.)

Edit: Also: All of the John Wayne war movies I've seen, Inglorious Bastards, The Desert Tigers, Patton and The Rats of Tobruck (Tobrook?).

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
18-01-2015, 07:46 PM

Holy crap that is a fucked up attitude on your friends part. You never should want anyone on the battlefield that gets a thrill out of killing another human.

I really don't think he understands that their is joy in the sense of relief that someone that hurt you isn't around to hurt you, and the real horrors of war that sane people should want to avoid.

No one should be pro war. That kind of idealism is exactly what allowed Bush and Cheney did what they did in Iraq only to have a guy throw a shoe at Bush. That man who threw that shoe had a family.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2015, 08:01 PM
(18-01-2015 07:35 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 04:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I don't know, most of the war movies I have seen have been ambivalent at best about the value of war. I can't recall too many that have glorified it.

Off the top of my head?

The Dirty Dozen.
Rambo 3
Platoon (Very borderline)
Force 10 from Navarone (More so than The Guns of)
Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD (Saw it last night. Actually really awesome.)
The Avengers
Delta Force
Megaforce
Invasion USA
The first Red Dawn movie (Haven't seen the remake.)

Edit: Also: All of the John Wayne war movies I've seen, Inglorious Bastards, The Desert Tigers, Patton and The Rats of Tobruck (Tobrook?).

I haven't seen most of those, but I will say that Inglorious Basterds (which I just watched again a few weeks ago) isn't really a war movie per se -- it's a typical Quentin Tarantino revenge fantasy, just like his last three or four films. In this one, the Jews get to stick it to Hitler. The "movie within a movie" was actually a pretty good parody of movies that glorify war.