Unbroken, and why I am sick of war movies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 08:52 PM by TheGulegon.)
RE: Unbroken, and why I am sick of war movies.
(17-01-2015 07:28 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I didn't think it was explicitly anti-war, but it didn't make it look like some cool video game. It showed the way it really is (presumably -- I have never experienced war, so who am I to say?) -- people on both sides die, often painfully and horribly, and often for stupid reasons, and even the winners pay a heavy price. It's not the kind of movie that would make me run out and join the Army the next day. If I wasn't already anti-war, I certainly would be after watching that movie.

I agree! I liked the fact that the story is about a group of people trying to rescue someone in the midst of trouble. That trouble just happens to be taking place in the middle of WW2! When battle is joined, it's not "hell yeah! we get to blow something up", it's "gawdamit this war keeps getting in the way of us accomplishing something good"!
You're right about the 'no sugar coating' it, too! Our soldiers were killing enemy combatants that had surrendered (in the movie), too (which I'm sure actually happened at least once)! Ours were no better, or worse, than theirs when the majority of each side signed up to do their patriotic duty for their country!
I agree with the OP, too. I'm probably forgetting a few, but I can't think of any movies since Saving Private Ryan that haven't been of the "glorious war" flavor!
Also it's hard for me to give movies about modern wars a pass. Had no one done anything, the Nazi's wouldn't have simply stopped incinerating Jews in Hitler's lifetime, and it could be argued if we hadn't fought by their side, the South Koreans could be living in the hell that is N. Korea right now, but Iraq?
Every time I see a trailer from a war movie where some guy's like "baby... baby I'm coming home!" I think of that scene from the beginning of SPR where that kid is on his back, on the beach of Normandy, with his guts strewn out across the sand, screaming "momma.... MOMMA... AHHHHH", and think to myself... "^^^ we've known since 1998 what you might be forced to watch your best friend go through, in a warzone; why the fuck did you sign up to go into one?"!

Sorry! Don't mean to be rude! But the best thing our soldiers can do when they come home is dispell the bullshit coming out of Hollywood that might inspire someone to go fight for anything less than the most desperate of reasons!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply