Uncle George wants to Move the Winter Olympics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Uncle George wants to Move the Winter Olympics
http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-en...e-olympics

So it has become increasingly clear that Russia will enforce the anti-gay laws it recently passed and could detain athletes and their families for violating them. No country with such blatantly discriminatory laws should be allowed to host the games.

Petition to move the games

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-08-2013, 09:15 PM
RE: Uncle George wants to Move the Winter Olympics
Hah, it would be better not to have them in Vancouver again so soon, but I agree with the boycotting of the Sochi Olympics.

This is the role of the IOC according to their charter:

IOC Wrote: To encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sport as well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned;
To encourage and support the organisation, development and coordination of sport and sports competitions;
To ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games;
To cooperate with the competent public or private organisations and authorities in the endeavour to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace;
To take action in order to strengthen the unity and to protect the independence of the Olympic Movement;
To act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement;
To encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women;
To lead the fight against doping in sport;
To encourage and support measures protecting the health of athletes;
To oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes;
To encourage and support the efforts of sports organisations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes;
To encourage and support the development of sport for all;
To encourage and support a responsible concern for environmental issues, to promote sustainable development in sport and to require that the Olympic Games are held accordingly;
To promote a positive legacy from the Olympic Games to the host cities and host countries;
To encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education;
To encourage and support the activities of the International Olympic Academy (IOA) and other institutions which dedicate themselves to Olympic education.

I bolded some things that should be of concern to the IOC; peace, preventing political abuse, promoting inclusiveness in sport, non-violence, preventing discrimination, and protecting the well-being of athletes.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
06-08-2013, 09:28 PM
That's sad...not that there is a petition to have it moved totally agree with that...the fact that it's needed....that's just what's sad. The IOC should step in to insure the safety of all the athletes.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

10-08-2013, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 11:54 AM by unsapien.)
No don't move the games.

We had the games in China recently didn't we? They sure as heck don't have a better human rights record then Russia. Come to think of it, the list of countries that would be acceptable to all nations would make a pretty short list. Even Canada should be critized for our bad record regarding our aboriginal population.

Media can use the olympics to bring light to problems in the host countries, maybe get as many nations as you can to add some rainbow symbols to thier uniforms or something, get the Sochi games to go down in history as the "rainbow" olympics, and embarrass the shit out of the Russian government. I think that's the way to go.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
10-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Politics should stay out of it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
10-08-2013, 01:34 PM
(10-08-2013 01:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Politics should stay out of it.

Indeed but the Russians are the ones who introduced politics to it. Would they suspend their draconian anti-gay laws for the duration of the Games then I would not be supporting removing the games from them. However the only on the record response from the Russians is no those laws would be enforced.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-08-2013, 03:35 PM
They should let them host the games. It would be good though if nobody turned up after they have spent so much money preparing for it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Note to self list every country that I can't visit because I'm me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Signed. It's ridiculously irrational to care whose genitals go where, when only consenting adults are concerned.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
10-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Signed as well
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post