Uncomfortable development

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2012, 08:34 AM
According to this compilation of opinion poll results concerning the US presidental election, Mitt Romney has finally managed to beat Obama after he dominated for months. One can only hope that this is just a temporary state.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2012, 10:41 AM
RE: Uncomfortable development
I fear that Romney will succeed, and his tax cuts will turn the upcoming recession into a depression.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
13-10-2012, 12:41 PM
(13-10-2012 08:34 AM)Vosur Wrote:  According to this compilation of opinion poll results concerning the US presidental election, Mitt Romney has finally managed to beat Obama after he dominated for months. One can only hope that this is just a temporary state.

So why does a German care? Consider Not being a dick, my friend; inquiring minds want to know. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-10-2012, 01:03 PM
(13-10-2012 12:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2012 08:34 AM)Vosur Wrote:  According to this compilation of opinion poll results concerning the US presidental election, Mitt Romney has finally managed to beat Obama after he dominated for months. One can only hope that this is just a temporary state.

So why does a German care? Consider Not being a dick, my friend; inquiring minds want to know. Thumbsup

Isn't it obvious? They're afraid Romney will interfere with their establishment of the 4th Reich.
Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
13-10-2012, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2012 01:26 PM by Chas.)
(13-10-2012 01:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(13-10-2012 12:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  So why does a German care? Consider Not being a dick, my friend; inquiring minds want to know. Thumbsup

Isn't it obvious? They're afraid Romney will interfere with their establishment of the 4th Reich.
Drinking Beverage

You make a clear, articulate argument.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
13-10-2012, 01:29 PM
(13-10-2012 12:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  So why does a German care? Consider Not being a dick, my friend; inquiring minds want to know. Thumbsup
Empathy for peeps I know that live in the USA. Sleepy

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-10-2012, 01:43 PM
(13-10-2012 01:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
Empathy for peeps I know that live in the USA. Sleepy

And we appreciate it. Thumbsup

13-10-2012, 03:48 PM
(13-10-2012 01:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2012 01:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Empathy for peeps I know that live in the USA. Sleepy

And we appreciate it. Thumbsup

Be careful. Didn't the Kaiser give the same sort of reasoning?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I do hope Mitt doesn't win, though I'm placed up above and beyond the US border.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
13-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Taking a couple of things into account, like the fact that these are polls, the sampling errors, when they were taken, etc., I'd have to say that things are close (basically a tie), and things have kind of been that way for a while.

It seems like even when the polls swing slightly, they swing with enthusiasm. That's really all this is going to come down to. Obama has the votes, and there is no doubt about that, but ultimately, the election will depend on whether or not his votes show up. It's unlikely that minorities and young voters will show up in the numbers that they did last time, but in what numbers they do show up, looking at the electoral map, will be key toward an Obama win. The other factor is white women, specifically suburban, and/or single, working women. That's really the swing vote tied with the minorities and young voters. Minorities and the young are in the bag for Obama, but those women voters are sort of the persuadable ones. The lower the turn out of minorities and the young, the more the election will depend on what candidate can beef up the rhetoric.

I think if Romney does win this election, I'm completely done participating in voting and US politics for the rest of my life. Watching this thing play out, especially having been able to pay pretty close attention to what has been happening in politics during Obama's presidency, I'd have to say that the politics are completely disgusting and unscrupulous, and watching average people, citizens, respond has a very creepy and unsettling hint of dramatic irony that's almost unbearable. If US citizens go the wrong way on this one, they are way to damn far over, too stupid, and unless I start a revolution, I'll be done attempting to play any role in our downfall. I'll just become apathetic, put myself in a position where I have no stake in the outcome, and watch the show.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell