Uncomfortable moments caused by religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2011, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2011 11:41 PM by ddrew.)
Uncomfortable moments caused by religion...
Just a different topic for people to nabb at for a change...

I'd like to see odd moments you've had by some form of religious custom or influence that came upon you without warning.... I'll start with one of mine...

It was my very first day at this Christian Ministry called the Bible Tabernacle. Everyday we'd wake up at 5:30am and attend Bible study for an hour and half. Afterwards we'd have breakfast and then start the workday at our assigned work. Since I was new I was starting off in the wood yard department. Before starting work everyone on the wood yard would gather for the P.O.D meeting "plan of the day" and afterwards followed up by a starting "pray in" and someone would be called upon..

Now me being the "new brother" I was called upon to offer a word of prayer...

Now me being an atheist, I was not sure what the fuck to do here.. so I asked, "what am I supposed to say?"
The wood yard crew chief said to me, "Whatever is in your heart. You say it to the Lord." I said, "eh.. okay... umm" Now I was already in a piss poor mood at my circumstances which landed me in the Bible Tabernacle to begin with. So me being the loyal Slayer fan then said.... "God hates us all . . . Amen!"

Wow... the look on their faces was priceless!! LOL oh boy talk about a Kodak moment! LOL.....

Anyhow I look forward to some of your stories....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2011, 09:58 PM
RE: Discomfortable moments cause by religion...
(15-11-2011 06:30 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Just a different topic for people to nabb at for a change...

I'd like to see odd moments you've had by some form of religious custom or influence that came upon you without warning.... I'll start with one of mine...

It was my very first day at this Christian Ministry called the Bible Tabernacle. Everyday we'd wake up at 5:30am and attend Bible study for an hour and half. Afterwards we'd have breakfast and then start the workday at our assigned work. Since I was new I was starting off in the wood yard department. Before starting work everyone on the wood yard would gather for the P.O.D meeting "plan of the day" and afterwards followed up by a starting "pray in" and someone would be called upon..

Now me being the "new brother" I was called upon to offer a word of prayer...

Now me being an atheist, I was not sure what the fuck to do here.. so I asked, "what am I supposed to say?"
The wood yard crew chief said to me, "Whatever is in your heart. You say it to the Lord." I said, "eh.. okay... umm" Now I was already in a piss poor mood at my circumstances which landed me in the Bible Tabernacle to begin with. So me being the loyal Slayer fan then said.... "God hates us all . . . Amen!"

Wow... the look on their faces was priceless!! LOL oh boy talk about a Kodak moment! LOL.....

Anyhow I look forward to some of your stories....

lmao! I can only imagine what their reaction was like, but that made me chuckle.

My most recent uncomfortable moment was when I had a few friends over to watch a movie and kill each other in Modern Warfare 3 (turns out, none of them are any good - I had a 13.0 K/D ratio...). Anyway, I ordered 3 large pizzas (and paid for solely with my cash, no one chipped in) and one of my guests proceeds to pray over the meal and thank God for providing it... Wait, so I guess I can send God the bill? What's his address? Unless God works at Pizza Hut, I'm pretty sure I paid the employees at Pizza Hut to provide the pizza...

Ok, everyone but me in the room is a Christian, but I'm the host here... The person praying was one of the 2 that knows I'm an atheist (but believes I'm just skeptical or doubting). I don't think it was a purposeful "I'm gonna pray in your house, whatcha gonna do?" move as much as it was a habit or something he always does, but I still would prefer to avoid crediting invisible sky friends for my generosity lol.

Only 2 of the 5 guests know I'm an Atheist (I don't trumpet it, most of the people I know are Xtian - such is life...) so I don't say anything as to avoid getting into an argument or long discussion over it. Call me a pussy if you'd like, but I don't like losing friends over their superstitions... I'd be quickly without friends if I did that (Texas ftl...)

Better without God, and happier too.
16-11-2011, 12:39 AM
RE: Uncomfortable moments caused by religion...
5 Christians in the room with ya and not a single one of them forked out some cash to help pay for the pizza... and then didn't thank you but thanked God instead?

What a swell bunch you had there....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
16-11-2011, 01:27 AM
(16-11-2011 12:39 AM)ddrew Wrote:  5 Christians in the room with ya and not a single one of them forked out some cash to help pay for the pizza... and then didn't thank you but thanked God instead?

What a swell bunch you had there....

to be fair, they thanked me too, but later. I didn't mind paying so much since I'm much more financially secure than they are... Still, it's polite to offer. I'm not too good at making friends, never have been. 18 months here and still only 5-6 "close" friends.

Better without God, and happier too.
16-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Here's something that happened to me...first a little back story...

I finally admitted to myself about 3 years ago that I was an athiest. I finally admitted to my (Catholic) wife about a year ago that I was an athiest. After a long talk at that time we agreed that: 1. We won't try to "convert" each other. We pretty much agreed not to talk about it. 2. Her family can't find out, they would never understand (her mother's head would probably explode!). 3. The kids had to be raised Catholic, my wife "could not put their souls at risk" (as my wife put it).

So I haven't told my kids that I'm an athiest, but I have strongly encouraged my children to learn about science and critical thinking something my wife thinks is a good thing (she may not have fully comprehended the all the ramifications).

About a month ago we were all sitting in the living room when the show "Ghost Hunters" comes on and we started talking about the show when my 11 year son turns to me and says "dad why are we watching this show? We know that there is no real evidence to think that there is life after death." I turned and looked at my wife, I know she heard him, but she didn't say anything (yet). But as my son continues to become more vocal in his scepticism I see many more uncomfortable moments in my future.
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
16-11-2011, 03:58 AM
Other uncomfortable moments for me are on the odd Sunday every once in a while when one the kids ask "why dad isn't coming to church with us". To which the usual reply is that I have a "business meeting to go to" (as I am getting ready to attend my local CFI meeting).
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
16-11-2011, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 04:09 AM by Filox.)
It so great to openly bash all religions, if the surrounding area allows you to do that without repercussions...

Couple of days ago a few of my friend and his girlfriend have invited me to lunch and another friend and his girlfriend were there as well. When we all sat down, two of them (girls) asked if we were going to have a quick pray before the lunch, it was Saturday. None of the 3 of us (boys) are religious, nor do we pray at any time, but they both (girls) looked at me, told me that they are sorry, so if I don't mind, can they pray, I can do something else if it bothers me. I almost laughed, but we proceeded with the pray, I was mumbling a bit, because I kinda feel bad when everybody is praying, I know the words, but don't say anything and 4 of them said 3 quick prayers.

So you see, not all Christians are unconsidered bastards and if you are loud enough, people do remember what are your beliefs, some even respect them. I am very satisfied with the way they did that. I hate when people pray and expect me to pray with them.

P.S.

@ ddrew, can you please explain what the hell were you (an atheist) doing in a Christian Ministry called the Bible Tabernacle??? WTF man, WTF?!? Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
16-11-2011, 07:27 AM
(16-11-2011 04:01 AM)Filox Wrote:  @ ddrew, can you please explain what the hell were you (an atheist) doing in a Christian Ministry called the Bible Tabernacle??? WTF man, WTF?!? Smile

Long story.... but basically the choice came down to either living in a Ministry and putting up with their rules or be homeless. It's been an interesting past year to say the least.

I'm now back to work again and breathing the fresh air of freedom from that place. And trust me, I'm trying to drink every last drop of memory of that place from my mind!

16-11-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm an avid member of a scouting group, led by an old, very orthodox couple.
Religion is a key-thing in there, and we pray, we thank God, blah blah blah.

The funny thing is, out of the 60 members of the Timi┼čoara branch (a.k.a. mine), about 20 are atheists. We're all just going there for the mountain climbing. Big Grin

I like radishes.
16-11-2011, 01:09 PM
When I told my mum I got a high level in my RE assessment(Thanks to TA). She said I could be a pastor and own a church. My cynical inner self screamed ' I would rather lick Jesus' arse' and just smiled awkwardly. I tend to avoid religious topics with my mum( She is African and you know how Africans are with their superstitious and religion) even though she is very relaxed about evolution and such.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]