Underailable Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
13-01-2016, 12:19 PM
RE: Underailable Thread

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
13-01-2016, 12:31 PM
(13-01-2016 11:36 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 11:30 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Are you still Xtian or have you come over to the dark side? Evil_monster
I am still a christian. But like I said, there is a very good reason why I am no longer catholic.

Beware the slippery slope, dude. I'm telling you, once you start pulling on the loose thread in the sweater you'll unravel the whole damn thing before you know it. Then you will be standing there naked wondering what the hell happened.

Why were you ever a catholic?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
13-01-2016, 12:43 PM
(13-01-2016 12:31 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Why were you ever a catholic?

The same reason why 99% of people are catholic. They are either born catholic or marry a catholic. In my case I was born catholic.
13-01-2016, 12:53 PM
(13-01-2016 12:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  

The same reason why 99% of people are catholic. They are either born catholic or marry a catholic. In my case I was born catholic.

Meaning, really, that you were born into a family that was of the catholic faith. You still had to be educated/indoctrinated into the faith, yes?
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
13-01-2016, 01:02 PM
(13-01-2016 12:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  

Did you ever believe to be true anything you were being taught as a young catholic?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
13-01-2016, 01:12 PM
(13-01-2016 11:39 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  However, another result was the most dominant form of Christianity apostatizing from the true gospel of Jesus Christ and the true proclamation of God’s Word.

I'm assuming that you believe that later denominations got closer to the "true gospel" by disavowing some of the Catholic dogma and approaching a sola scriptura view. I'm also guessing that you are non-denominational because you don't think any of them got it quite right or possibly even that no scripture gets it quite right.

Setting aside the question of why anybody would believe that there is a "true gospel", are you familiar with the multiple flavors of xianity in the late first and early second century? The Marcionites and the gnostic branches for example? The beliefs that won out became the orthodoxy but that doesn't mean they got it right. How can you tell what parts are true and what parts are false? If every believer thinks that their own interpretation is the truth then doesn't that imply that they are just using their own biases to pick and choose what they think feels good?

You know Jason, if you continue to think about it and question then I'd bet you're going to be a fine upstanding atheist before you know it... come over to the dark side... we have cookies!

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
13-01-2016, 01:24 PM
(13-01-2016 01:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 11:39 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  However, another result was the most dominant form of Christianity apostatizing from the true gospel of Jesus Christ and the true proclamation of God’s Word.

I'm assuming that you believe that later denominations got closer to the "true gospel" by disavowing some of the Catholic dogma and approaching a sola scriptura view. I'm also guessing that you are non-denominational because you don't think any of them got it quite right or possibly even that no scripture gets it quite right.

Setting aside the question of why anybody would believe that there is a "true gospel", are you familiar with the multiple flavors of xianity in the late first and early second century? The Marcionites and the gnostic branches for example? The beliefs that won out became the orthodoxy but that doesn't mean they got it right. How can you tell what parts are true and what parts are false? If every believer thinks that their own interpretation is the truth then doesn't that imply that they are just using their own biases to pick and choose what they think feels good?

You know Jason, if you continue to think about it and question then I'd bet you're going to be a fine upstanding atheist before you know it... come over to the dark side... we have cookies!

Careful, unfogged. We don't want to derail this thread.

[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
13-01-2016, 01:28 PM

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
13-01-2016, 02:02 PM
(13-01-2016 01:02 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 12:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The same reason why 99% of people are catholic. They are either born catholic or marry a catholic. In my case I was born catholic.

Did you ever believe to be true anything you were being taught as a young catholic?
Oh yes, I never thought to question anything the Catholic Church taught. Until I finally opened up a bible. It is ironic that for over 20 years of my life as a Catholic I only remember a handful of time where I actually read the bible.
13-01-2016, 02:04 PM
(13-01-2016 01:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

[Image: 37e19b6481ab91c757a152c367e09b54.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post