Underailable Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
13-01-2016, 02:23 PM
RE: Underailable Thread
Well...it's official. Catholics say I am going to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2016, 03:08 PM
(13-01-2016 01:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 11:39 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  However, another result was the most dominant form of Christianity apostatizing from the true gospel of Jesus Christ and the true proclamation of God’s Word.

I'm assuming that you believe that later denominations got closer to the "true gospel" by disavowing some of the Catholic dogma and approaching a sola scriptura view. I'm also guessing that you are non-denominational because you don't think any of them got it quite right or possibly even that no scripture gets it quite right.

Setting aside the question of why anybody would believe that there is a "true gospel", are you familiar with the multiple flavors of xianity in the late first and early second century? The Marcionites and the gnostic branches for example? The beliefs that won out became the orthodoxy but that doesn't mean they got it right. How can you tell what parts are true and what parts are false? If every believer thinks that their own interpretation is the truth then doesn't that imply that they are just using their own biases to pick and choose what they think feels good?

You know Jason, if you continue to think about it and question then I'd bet you're going to be a fine upstanding atheist before you know it... come over to the dark side... we have cookies!
Well, the simple answer to your question is this. I am non-denominational because I do not like people telling me what to believe and how I should believe things simply because I was told to do so. Rather than accepting a doctrine blindly I did my own research to discover for myself what I believe to be true. That is probably why I can relate to atheists. The very same approach that most atheists used to reject religion I used to reject a specific denomination. The difference between myself and other denominations such a catholics is this; I do not believe catholics, mormons, JW, ect are going to hell because the do not worship God the same way I do. I also have what some may consider unorthodox views. Yes, I think Mormons can be crazier than a football bat but they claim to believe the gospels so they are fine in my book.
13-01-2016, 03:27 PM
(13-01-2016 03:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 01:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm assuming that you believe that later denominations got closer to the "true gospel" by disavowing some of the Catholic dogma and approaching a sola scriptura view. I'm also guessing that you are non-denominational because you don't think any of them got it quite right or possibly even that no scripture gets it quite right.

Setting aside the question of why anybody would believe that there is a "true gospel", are you familiar with the multiple flavors of xianity in the late first and early second century? The Marcionites and the gnostic branches for example? The beliefs that won out became the orthodoxy but that doesn't mean they got it right. How can you tell what parts are true and what parts are false? If every believer thinks that their own interpretation is the truth then doesn't that imply that they are just using their own biases to pick and choose what they think feels good?

You know Jason, if you continue to think about it and question then I'd bet you're going to be a fine upstanding atheist before you know it... come over to the dark side... we have cookies!
Well, the simple answer to your question is this. I am non-denominational because I do not like people telling me what to believe and how I should believe things simply because I was told to do so. Rather than accepting a doctrine blindly I did my own research to discover for myself what I believe to be true. That is probably why I can relate to atheists. The very same approach that most atheists used to reject religion I used to reject a specific denomination. The difference between myself and other denominations such a catholics is this; I do not believe catholics, mormons, JW, ect are going to hell because the do not worship God the same way I do. I also have what some may consider unorthodox views. Yes, I think Mormons can be crazier than a football bat but they claim to believe the gospels so they are fine in my book.

You should read Jesus was a Liberal. Great book, I loved it as a Liberal Christian.
13-01-2016, 03:28 PM
(13-01-2016 02:23 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well...it's official. Catholics say I am going to hell.

Oh good. Can we have an Underailable thread there? Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-01-2016, 03:31 PM
(13-01-2016 03:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 02:23 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well...it's official. Catholics say I am going to hell.

Oh good. Can we have an Underailable thread there? Big Grin
I already got that set up there.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
13-01-2016, 03:33 PM

Did you tell them that you already are here so it's hardly something they can threaten you with?
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
13-01-2016, 03:40 PM

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
13-01-2016, 03:59 PM
I almost miss trying to reason with alla.
13-01-2016, 04:05 PM

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
13-01-2016, 04:22 PM
(13-01-2016 03:59 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I almost miss trying to reason with alla.

You ain't qualitatively different. Consider

Delusion is delusion. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post