Underailable Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
13-01-2016, 05:48 PM
RE: Underailable Thread
(13-01-2016 05:36 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 04:52 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Fair enough. Do you believe any of it?
I do.

Of the things you do believe to be true, when did you first start believing them?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2016, 06:02 PM
(13-01-2016 05:18 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 03:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well, the simple answer to your question is this. I am non-denominational because I do not like people telling me what to believe and how I should believe things simply because I was told to do so. Rather than accepting a doctrine blindly I did my own research to discover for myself what I believe to be true. That is probably why I can relate to atheists. The very same approach that most atheists used to reject religion I used to reject a specific denomination. The difference between myself and other denominations such a catholics is this; I do not believe catholics, mormons, JW, ect are going to hell because the do not worship God the same way I do. I also have what some may consider unorthodox views. Yes, I think Mormons can be crazier than a football bat but they claim to believe the gospels so they are fine in my book.

Fair enough, I suppose, but it still appears to be a matter of deciding what to take literally and what to take metaphorically. There are some wacky Catholic beliefs like papal authority and transubstantiation which do have a basis in the gospels if you take those passages literally. I don't now how they manage to do that while taking other parts like Genesis as metaphors and I was raised Catholic as well (they tried anyway, I don't think I ever believed; at least not past age 4 or 5).

It sounds like you've looked at it and concluded that most of it is metaphorical so all the inter-denominational arguments are moot. That's certainly better from my perspective than most believers. The less literally and more figuratively people take it the less harm it seems to cause. I'm curious what criteria you used to decide what parts to retain as true though and how the efficacy of your criteria can be measured against another who concludes that different parts are true.

Knights who say NI!
[Image: 220px-Chocolate_Chip_Cookies_-_kimberlykv.jpg]
One key indicator is who witnessed the occurrence that is being written. The fewer the witnesses the less literal I tend to get. This would be in order of figurative to literal.

1. The creation and Job (Satan and God meeting)would be an example of where it could be most figurative because there were absolutely no witnesses to the event. Not even the author.

2. If there is only one witness and the witness is not the supposed author. The 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness would be such a case. Yet it could still be possible that Jesus may have told his deciples about it.

3. If the author was the only witness then it could be viewed in a more literal sense but not by much. Example would be Moses on Mount Sinai and Revelation.

4. Multiple witness where the author supposed author was not present. In this case, if the author was not present, I would assume after talking to the witnesses he could have filled in the blanks. The account of the cruxifixion according to the gospel of Matthew is an example. Mathews was not present but he supposedly wrote about it using the testimony of others.

5. Finally, multiple witnesses where the author was one of the witnesses. Pentecost, last supper, ect.

So when there are inconsistencies in the gospels this is the formula I personally use to come to my own personal conclusion on what would be more accurate. I would favor John's account of the Crucifixion over Matthew or Luke ect.
13-01-2016, 06:03 PM
(13-01-2016 05:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 05:36 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I do.

Are you saying you want to be interviewed? Tongue
I don't know....Confused
13-01-2016, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2016 06:11 PM by jason_delisle.)
(13-01-2016 05:48 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 05:36 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I do.

Of the things you do believe to be true, when did you first start believing them?
Edit with final answer:

I guess I always believe that there was a God. Although as a child I did not know what it was.
13-01-2016, 06:08 PM

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-01-2016, 06:08 PM
If I am slow with my response it is only because I am trying to get the kiddos ready for bed.
13-01-2016, 06:10 PM
(13-01-2016 06:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 05:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Are you saying you want to be interviewed? Tongue
I don't know....Confused

You don't have to be interviewed if you don't want to be Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-01-2016, 06:14 PM
(13-01-2016 10:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Now catholics are calling me the Father of Lies aka Satan because I showed them the history of the catholic church and the pagan origins of their beliefs. Sigh...

#sigh
13-01-2016, 06:18 PM
(13-01-2016 06:10 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 06:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I don't know....Confused

You don't have to be interviewed if you don't want to be Tongue
[Image: 68f9c6a53af9a3e06240c8430b8aec18.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post