Underground reservoir = God!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: Underground reservoir = God!
(03-12-2014 02:18 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  I've been debating the flood with my father in law (YEC). His latest words were "the Bible speaks of the earth being a sphere long before man (science) who thought the world was flat. It speaks of the fountains of the deep which man (science) pooh-poohed...until now. Science is always re writing their mistakes or catching up with the Bible...After the fact."

I get to hear stuff like this almost daily.

If someone's that determined to be wrong your best bet is probably to avoid talking to them wherever possible. For your own sanity.

Does he say shit like that unprompted? Don't bring it onto yourself, you'll just be facepalming your way into an early grave.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 06:12 PM
(03-12-2014 06:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 02:18 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  I've been debating the flood with my father in law (YEC). His latest words were "the Bible speaks of the earth being a sphere long before man (science) who thought the world was flat. It speaks of the fountains of the deep which man (science) pooh-poohed...until now. Science is always re writing their mistakes or catching up with the Bible...After the fact."

If someone's that determined to be wrong your best bet is probably to avoid talking to them wherever possible. For your own sanity.

Does he say shit like that unprompted? Don't bring it onto yourself, you'll just be facepalming your way into an early grave.

We never got into his beliefs until I came to pick up my son (he and his wife watch my son while my wife and I work) and they were reading Noahs arc to him. So I told them I didn't want to have him indoctrinated into any beliefs, which he didn't agree with. He needs to save my son from hell. So now we are getting into one debate after another. I was able to avoid it for years but now is just a part of my life as long as they are helping us.
03-12-2014, 06:15 PM
(03-12-2014 03:02 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

point Greenland out to him. Greenland is made of ice, ice melts in water, and a flood of that magnitude would have snapped it off and caused it to melt away. In the last 10k years, weather conditions haven't existed to create, or recreate Greenland...especially from a mythical global flood of magical proportion in 2349 BCE.

Big Grin

I'm putting together evidence for him and thus will be one of the topics.
03-12-2014, 06:40 PM
(03-12-2014 06:12 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If someone's that determined to be wrong your best bet is probably to avoid talking to them wherever possible. For your own sanity.

We never got into his beliefs until I came to pick up my son (he and his wife watch my son while my wife and I work) and they were reading Noahs arc to him. So I told them I didn't want to have him indoctrinated into any beliefs, which he didn't agree with. He needs to save my son from hell. So now we are getting into one debate after another. I was able to avoid it for years but now is just a part of my life as long as they are helping us.

Honestly I'd still try to avoid the confrontation. It's extremely disrespectful to you and your wife to disregard your wishes for your own child, but on the other hand, a genuinely devout believer who actually is, as they say, "God-fearing" - their actions are understandable. Well, as understandable as any delusional act... If you need the childcare they're providing, you're just sort of fucked, because you can't push things and risk that.

How old is your son? I think it might be better just to talk to him, separately, about the "stories" his grandparents are telling him, and how most people don't think they're real, but like Aesop or Kipling.

Anyone attempting to seriously argue a Flood narrative is so far up their own ass that arguing will probably just make them mad at you for disrupting their perfect balance of cognitive dissonance. They're so ignorant they don't even begin to understand how ignorant they are.

I have literally no relevant personal experience that would pertain to this kind of situation, so feel free to weigh my advice accordingly.

... this is my signature!
03-12-2014, 07:46 PM
(03-12-2014 06:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:12 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  We never got into his beliefs until I came to pick up my son (he and his wife watch my son while my wife and I work) and they were reading Noahs arc to him. So I told them I didn't want to have him indoctrinated into any beliefs, which he didn't agree with. He needs to save my son from hell. So now we are getting into one debate after another. I was able to avoid it for years but now is just a part of my life as long as they are helping us.

Honestly I'd still try to avoid the confrontation. It's extremely disrespectful to you and your wife to disregard your wishes for your own child, but on the other hand, a genuinely devout believer who actually is, as they say, "God-fearing" - their actions are understandable. Well, as understandable as any delusional act... If you need the childcare they're providing, you're just sort of fucked, because you can't push things and risk that.

How old is your son? I think it might be better just to talk to him, separately, about the "stories" his grandparents are telling him, and how most people don't think they're real, but like Aesop or Kipling.

Anyone attempting to seriously argue a Flood narrative is so far up their own ass that arguing will probably just make them mad at you for disrupting their perfect balance of cognitive dissonance. They're so ignorant they don't even begin to understand how ignorant they are.

I have literally no relevant personal experience that would pertain to this kind of situation, so feel free to weigh my advice accordingly.

My son is still going enough that he doesn't understand (under 2 years). I was just trying to blow out the match before it started a fire. My wife says she is a Christian but really knows nothing about the Bible or being a Christian woman. I have no problem with her telling our son her beliefs. If I did I wouldn't have married her. At least she doesn't believe the earth is 6000 years old.
Her father is definitely self absorbed with his beliefs. So much that he considers himself one of the few "true Christians" out there.

I've always tried to avoid the debates. My grandparents never told me any of their beliefs and I prefer it that they didn't. I think they were smart enough to know that it could create conflict or they just didn't have any beliefs.
03-12-2014, 08:11 PM

I sympathize. Your FiL is an asshole.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
03-12-2014, 08:22 PM
I sympathize. Your FiL is an asshole.
[/quote]

Agreed. I don't know anyone who doesn't think he's an asshole.
03-12-2014, 09:36 PM
^Presumably your mother in law?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-12-2014, 09:51 PM
(03-12-2014 09:36 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^Presumably your mother in law?

She's from the Philippines. She completely submits to him. Even if she thought he was an asshole she wouldn't say anything.