Understanding Gravity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Understanding Gravity?
In about the second grade, I was told that Gravity occurs because the metal in the Earth is magnetic. Well, we all know that's untrue and I figured that much out in about the fourth or fifth grade, yet I was inable to get a viable answer. About a month ago, I began to learn a bit about the nature of space while surfing the internet, and how it can be bended, twisted, and folded. During that same video, I began to learn that Large objects make an indent in space and that's what caused objects to fall. Since I was thinking of space as a 2-dimensional plain(Partially contributed to the models I was shown), I was inable to see how a curvature in the fabric would cause objects to fall to the planet, so naturally, I went to the internet and made several searches. None of them helped any, so I went to a website for asking scientific questions and asked about it. They explained to me that space was a 3-dimensional plain, which made quite a bit more sense to me, but not in the terms of gravity. How does an indent in the fabric of space cause objects to fall in that way? I'm imagining this indent as like a bubble of space around the earth that has been pushed away by its mass. I've done MANY internet searches on the subject, yet none of them have provided any satisfactory answers. Considering that this is an entire website of skeptics and critical thinkers, I'm hoping that I'd get a better answer here. No matter how hard I think on the subject, I cannot come to a viable conclusion on my own.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2012, 12:47 AM
RE: Understanding Gravity?
Noone quite understands the mechanism of gravity as yet, but the theory of relativity which you are describing has so far proven to produce accurate predictions at relatively large scales and at speed. Relativity describes the relationship between things like distance, time, mass, velocity, and acceleration. All of these properties impact each other in surprising ways for someone who is used to moving at human speeds. For example, time passes at a different rate depending on your speed and distance itself can change with velocity. Events that occur simultaneously for one observer occur at different times for another observer.

The maths works, but anyone who says they understand it is probably lying Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
18-05-2012, 01:15 AM
(18-05-2012 12:47 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Noone quite understands the mechanism of gravity as yet, but the theory of relativity which you are describing has so far proven to produce accurate predictions at relatively large scales and at speed. Relativity describes the relationship between things like distance, time, mass, velocity, and acceleration. All of these properties impact each other in surprising ways for someone who is used to moving at human speeds. For example, time passes at a different rate depending on your speed and distance itself can change with velocity. Events that occur simultaneously for one observer occur at different times for another observer.

The maths works, but anyone who says they understand it is probably lying Smile
All of the equations somewhat put me off and confused me quite a bit more. I'm in the 8th grade and if I looked at the equations themselves, I'd understand the math, but I'm having issues seeing why they input what, and where. Though from what you said, it seems that even adults with scientific backgrounds have issues understanding it aswell. I guess I'll understand it more as I grow older and am exposed to more complex forms of science. I still can't help but try and think about it. When I have an unknown in my mind, i often find myself pondering it until I find a conclusion. I thought I had a perfectly scientific scenario for the creation of the universe thought out, but bit by bit, the more I learned of physics,the more and more that scientific conclusion was blown apart.
18-05-2012, 02:34 AM
The ain't no understanding it, Hafnof. Just like there ain't no understanding thirteen-year-olds. I mean, when I was thirteen, I thought about girls... well, I also thought about math, but y'all know I'm as crazy as a jigsaw of circles. Big Grin

Anyway, unless I miss my guess, this young whippersnapper is after a mechanical descriptor of universal fundamentals. My advice is: stop eating pizza before bedtime and call MIT in the morning. Thumbsup

Prolly ain't gonna work, so...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
18-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Here's another one:

18-05-2012, 02:52 AM
And some reading:

Linky-linky

And how come posts ain't automatically merged no morez?

18-05-2012, 04:13 AM
(18-05-2012 02:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  well, I also thought about math, but y'all know I'm as crazy as a jigsaw of circles.

And we wouldn't have it any other way. Great videos. Merci.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

18-05-2012, 02:48 PM
(18-05-2012 02:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And some reading:

Linky-linky

And how come posts ain't automatically merged no morez?
Watched all three videos, and read a great deal of the wikipedia page(Skipped over some that was simply history) and I didn't get an answer as to how objects are attracted to each other, or fall. I understand how the planets stay in orbit, but that's about all it really explained, and that's something I had already known from past videos.
18-05-2012, 02:55 PM
(18-05-2012 12:32 AM)pppgggr Wrote:  In about the second grade, I was told that Gravity occurs because the metal in the Earth is magnetic.
Well.at least that is somewhat better than what we were told in grade school; that the air pressure is what kept us on the ground as well as the earth's rotation.
I think that searching for one answer to explain it all is what causes problems. Perhaps there is a multitude of processes that add up to what we call "gravity".

Sorry if I don't sound scientific enough, science was never a big thing when I went to school and the teachers were just as ignorant too.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
18-05-2012, 04:21 PM
(18-05-2012 02:55 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  
(18-05-2012 12:32 AM)pppgggr Wrote:  In about the second grade, I was told that Gravity occurs because the metal in the Earth is magnetic.
Well.at least that is somewhat better than what we were told in grade school; that the air pressure is what kept us on the ground as well as the earth's rotation.
I think that searching for one answer to explain it all is what causes problems. Perhaps there is a multitude of processes that add up to what we call "gravity".

Sorry if I don't sound scientific enough, science was never a big thing when I went to school and the teachers were just as ignorant too.
It's fine. I'll just continue searching until I find my answer.