Understanding Gravity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2012, 11:53 PM
RE: Understanding Gravity?
The thing is that all of the other known forces are pretty easy to explain, and in theory are well understood. They occur due to the exchange of bosons between small particles. We can experimentally produce and identify the bosons for electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. We have not experimentally produced the "higgs" boson for gravity as yet, though we may be honing in on it. If gravity does work like all of the other forces, this still leaves open some serious questions (as far as I understand this topic as a lay person):
* Why is it so weak? Why can a magnet the size of my fingernail overcome the gravitational force of an entire planet to pick up a piece of metal? Is it leaking out of our dimensions of space and time somehow? Is it coming from somewhere else and actually leaking into our universe?
* Why is it so closely related to the relativisitic predictions about spacetime curvature, etc? What is the connection between quantum physics (the physics of the very small) and relativity (the physics of standard sized stuff and as far as we can observe, the very large)?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2012, 12:15 AM
RE: Understanding Gravity?
The graviton is the theorized force carrier for gravity, whereas the Higgs is the thingy that gives matter mass (a boson or a field, depending on who you ask). These force carriers provide the how, they go between points of matter and indicate there is mass to which to be attracted.

Which probably doesn't do much for you. I had a suspicion last night you were after the why. Look all you want; you ain't gonna find it. It hasn't been discovered yet, although there's some fringe types talking about spin.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply