Uneducated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Uneducated
Sorry if this rambles a bit. It's something that's been on my mind the past week or so.

It seems to me that Americans as a group think it's OK to be uneducated. I don't mean illiterate. You're expected to have a high school diploma and the marketplace will punish you if you don't. Having a college degree is admirable and, for most, financially rewarding, although with recent skyrocketing of college costs and the accompanying mountains of student debt, many will not recoup the costs of college. But that's a subject for another time.

The thesis I want to put forward here, and I'm not 100% certain that I'm right, is that it's possible to have the H.S. diploma or the college degree (and good grades) and still be uneducated. Furthermore, that's OK, even with the people who hire. Did you ever hear of the "gentleman's C"? Let me give you an example. Suppose you are interviewing a new college grad with a GPA of 3.975, straight A's all through four years of college, except for a single D in a required freshman class "Introduction to Student Life." What does that tell you about the guy/girl? Would you hire him/her?

When I was in high school I was nicknamed "the brain." Really more a a label than a nickname since several other kids shared it. I didn't mind, I even reveled in it. But it was intended as a pejorative, not a compliment. In my case it was not even accurate. Although I did excel in science and business classes (which I enjoyed) I graduated in the middle of my class with average grades.

But I digress. The driving force behind my thesis is the absolutely stupid arguments I hear from theists. Take Michael Behe, the guy who testified in Kitzmiller v. Dover. He obviously has the sheepskin but he comes across to me as uneducated. He can't see the flaws in his arguments.

I began with an apology for rambling, and I have rambled. I'm not sure where I'm going. If I get some feedback I may post some more. Right now I'll close by saying that I don't base this on entirely theist argument. There's a secular element too. I'll sign off for now and await your comments.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2015, 03:09 AM
RE: Uneducated
Childhood brainwashing and in grained beliefs often can trump any future education. Especially when staying brainwashed comes with great social perks.

[Image: 004.sig]
13-11-2015, 05:59 AM
(13-11-2015 01:09 AM)f stop Wrote:  ...
It seems to me that Americans as a group think it's OK to be uneducated.

Probably best not to generalise or even be so narrow in scope.

It's quite possible the same situation in all countries that a proportion of the population act this way.

Growing up in the UK, I saw this attitude amongst some of my peers from other schools who thought that those from the 'better' schools were privileged. The subsequent taunting was more to do with the reaction to this perceived privilege rather than anti-education per se.

13-11-2015, 08:19 AM
There is more than one definition for "educated," and we're talking about at least two of them.

Most people do not go to college to open their minds, or even to learn. They go because they want to earn a diploma which states that they are formally educated, which brings with it a range of perceived advantages from an increase in social status to superior employment options. That's not to say that those who have a genuine desire to actually be educated aren't more likely to go to college and take advantage of the resources it has to offer, which would lead to at least some correlation when comparing people who are educated (intellectually) with people who are educated (administratively), but that does not necessarily mean the two are related. There is plenty of information out there. Those who have a drive to learn will do so whether they have a degree or not, and those who have no interest in truly understanding the world around them will avoid doing so whether they have a degree or not.

Whatever your goals in life are, whether to be able to call yourself educated or to have a good job, college is merely a potential way to get there if applied rationally and strategically. It is, however, neither a guarantee nor a necessity.

'Murican Canadian
13-11-2015, 08:22 AM
A formal education is no substitute for learning.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-11-2015, 08:26 AM
(13-11-2015 08:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A formal education is no substitute for learning.

It helps though. Best educators don't teach bare facts, they teach you to learn.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-11-2015, 08:33 AM
(13-11-2015 08:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-11-2015 08:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A formal education is no substitute for learning.

It helps though. Best educators don't teach bare facts, they teach you to learn.

It only helps if your goal is learning.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-11-2015, 08:40 AM
(13-11-2015 08:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(13-11-2015 08:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  It helps though. Best educators don't teach bare facts, they teach you to learn.

It only helps if your goal is learning.

I disagree, it can help if your goal is simply not dying.

To the OP point, it's about WHAT authority is THE authority to trust... and if it's God & the bible then you don't want to go and get too much of that "book learning" or experience with various other individuals across different manners. There is the manner of the pure central authority.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson