Unexplained Occurrences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 04:03 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
Unexplained Occurrences
I know we've had a few of these threads before, but most of them are fairly old at this point. This is a chance for members who may not have contributed to this type of thread before to share their stories.

I used to be intrigued with the paranormal, especially ghosts and cryptids. Eventually, I lost my belief in both due to the major cognitive dissonance brought about by my increasing fascination with science and its more grounded methods of inquiry (I was keenly aware of the cognitive dissonance even when I believed in the paranormal, it was a belief out of desire rather than acceptance of the evidence). That being said, I still enjoy reading witness accounts of ghost sightings and the like even if I no longer believe in such phenomena. Now all that paranormal stuff I used to believe in gets divided into three different piles: unexplained, misattributed, and garbage.

I'm more interested in the unexplained type of phenomena here. I myself have never experienced anything which seemed out of the realm of physical possibility. I've never experienced or witnessed the type of phenomena we tend to ascribe paranormal explanations for. I actually find it kind of disappointing really, not in that I have a desire to believe in any such phenomena again, I don't, but really more that I want to know what it's like to experience something that you genuinely can't find any rational explanation for. I think of it as a testament to how we have only scratched the tip of the iceberg of knowledge, or just the pure intrigue and mystery behind experiencing you simply can't explain by any known natural phenomena.

So what about the rest of you, have you ever had an experience which to this day still has you scratching your head as to what happened? Maybe some other members might be able to find a reasonable explanation to your unexplained occurrences.

PS: This probably should have gone in the pseudoscience section, could a mod move it?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
04-05-2014, 12:11 AM
RE: Unexplained Occurrences
(03-05-2014 03:45 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I know we've had a few of these threads before, but most of them are fairly old at this point. This is a chance for members who may not have contributed to this type of thread before to share their stories.

I used to be intrigued with the paranormal, especially ghosts and cryptids. Eventually, I lost my belief in both due to the major cognitive dissonance brought about by my increasing fascination with science and its more grounded methods of inquiry (I was keenly aware of the cognitive dissonance even when I believed in the paranormal, it was a belief out of desire rather than acceptance of the evidence). That being said, I still enjoy reading witness accounts of ghost sightings and the like even if I no longer believe in such phenomena. Now all that paranormal stuff I used to believe in gets divided into three different piles: unexplained, misattributed, and garbage.

I'm more interested in the unexplained type of phenomena here. I myself have never experienced anything which seemed out of the realm of physical possibility. I've never experienced or witnessed the type of phenomena we tend to ascribe paranormal explanations for. I actually find it kind of disappointing really, not in that I have a desire to believe in any such phenomena again, I don't, but really more that I want to know what it's like to experience something that you genuinely can't find any rational explanation for. I think of it as a testament to how we have only scratched the tip of the iceberg of knowledge, or just the pure intrigue and mystery behind experiencing you simply can't explain by any known natural phenomena.

So what about the rest of you, have you ever had an experience which to this day still has you scratching your head as to what happened? Maybe some other members might be able to find a reasonable explanation to your unexplained occurrences.

PS: This probably should have gone in the pseudoscience section, could a mod move it?

You have experience something nobody can explain probably. Ever ridden a bicycle?

http://www.newstatesman.com/science/2013...ycles-work

Funny how much we still don't know!
04-05-2014, 12:50 AM
I evolved rather quickly from fundy to Christo-pagan to confused pagan to agnostic christian theist afraid of Hell to atheist.

During my pagan-esque moment, I was using a crystal ball.
Except that it was working. I would clearly see something, and it would clearly happen later.
I stopped using it, because the results freaked me out.
I still don't know what to think of it and I still don't use it for that, because it still freaks me out.
Recently I've started staring into it again because SPARKLY and because it makes me fall asleep faster sometimes when I do. But if crap like that starts happening again, back on the shelf it goes.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
04-05-2014, 01:09 AM
I just went to bed, but had to get back up, because I'll have nightmares if I go to sleep right now like this. I'm not kidding that it freaked me out. Whatever caused it, me no likey.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
04-05-2014, 02:19 AM
(04-05-2014 01:09 AM)Charis Wrote:  .

Hug

Um... might I ask how you got a 'Sparkly' crystal ball?

Most of the things I've seen about the place here are just large lumps of rock crystal, polished into a sphere.

I have one of these,

http://pixabay.com/en/sphere-tesla-color...ica-77710/

Sitting on my desk atm. Big Grin

*Grumbles about getting stoopid image links to work*

Much cheers to all.
04-05-2014, 03:41 AM
I enjoy looking up all that stuff too, even now that I know there's a rational explanation behind everything.
Yesterday I was trying to find an explanation for Charlie Chaplin's "time traveler". It's certainly not a time traveler of course, but it annoys me that I can't actually explain it.

I don't remember a lot now, but I've had many experiences that I still cannot explain.

One was a memory I share with my brother, we were 7-9 years old, at my grandmother's house about to sleep, when a figure appeared on the window, a shadow of a head with horns, moving left and right. We both remember it and we both have a clear mental image of it. Some years later we heard that a neighbor would go around the houses where there were kids at night, wear a mask and scare them. But still, that thing didn't look like a mask.

I also saw something weird in the sky a few days ago. My parents have seen something similar and I've heard other people say they've seen something like it too. It was like a star, suddenly becoming very bright (bright enough to form those "twinkle lines" that form a cross [Jesus? Blink ]) and quickly fading and disappearing. It didn't move at all. I'm sure this has a logical explanation though, I simply haven't looked it up Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
04-05-2014, 04:16 AM
(04-05-2014 03:41 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I enjoy looking up all that stuff too, even now that I know there's a rational explanation behind everything.
Yesterday I was trying to find an explanation for Charlie Chaplin's "time traveler". It's certainly not a time traveler of course, but it annoys me that I can't actually explain it.

I don't remember a lot now, but I've had many experiences that I still cannot explain.

One was a memory I share with my brother, we were 7-9 years old, at my grandmother's house about to sleep, when a figure appeared on the window, a shadow of a head with horns, moving left and right. We both remember it and we both have a clear mental image of it. Some years later we heard that a neighbor would go around the houses where there were kids at night, wear a mask and scare them. But still, that thing didn't look like a mask.

I also saw something weird in the sky a few days ago. My parents have seen something similar and I've heard other people say they've seen something like it too. It was like a star, suddenly becoming very bright (bright enough to form those "twinkle lines" that form a cross [Jesus? Blink ]) and quickly fading and disappearing. It didn't move at all. I'm sure this has a logical explanation though, I simply haven't looked it up Tongue

This could be it Tongue

Quote:A variable star is a star whose brightness as seen from Earth fluctuates.

This variation may be caused by a change in emitted light or by something partly blocking the light, so variable stars are classified as either:

Intrinsic variables, whose luminosity actually changes; for example, because the star periodically swells and shrinks.
Extrinsic variables, whose apparent changes in brightness are due to changes in the amount of their light that can reach Earth; for example, because the star has an orbiting companion that sometimes eclipses it.
Many, possibly most, stars have at least some variation in luminosity: the energy output of our Sun, for example, varies by about 0.1% over an 11 year solar cycle.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-05-2014, 04:22 AM
(04-05-2014 04:16 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
Quote:A variable star is a star whose brightness as seen from Earth fluctuates.

This variation may be caused by a change in emitted light or by something partly blocking the light, so variable stars are classified as either:

Intrinsic variables, whose luminosity actually changes; for example, because the star periodically swells and shrinks.
Extrinsic variables, whose apparent changes in brightness are due to changes in the amount of their light that can reach Earth; for example, because the star has an orbiting companion that sometimes eclipses it.
Many, possibly most, stars have at least some variation in luminosity: the energy output of our Sun, for example, varies by about 0.1% over an 11 year solar cycle.

Well, this variation here is too little, I'm talking about a star becoming brighter than every other star in the sky and completely disappearing afterwards Consider

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
04-05-2014, 04:44 AM
(04-05-2014 04:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 04:16 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Well, this variation here is too little, I'm talking about a star becoming brighter than every other star in the sky and completely disappearing afterwards Consider

Hmmm, I'd say supernova but I don't think that would vanish instantly.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-05-2014, 04:56 AM
(04-05-2014 12:50 AM)Charis Wrote:  I evolved rather quickly from fundy to Christo-pagan to confused pagan to agnostic christian theist afraid of Hell to atheist.

During my pagan-esque moment, I was using a crystal ball.
Except that it was working. I would clearly see something, and it would clearly happen later.
I stopped using it, because the results freaked me out.
I still don't know what to think of it and I still don't use it for that, because it still freaks me out.
Recently I've started staring into it again because SPARKLY and because it makes me fall asleep faster sometimes when I do. But if crap like that starts happening again, back on the shelf it goes.

I dont see the problem why it freaks you out.
If true then atheism in its physicalist/naturalist metaphysical approach would be incorrect.
Hence I would love to know if there was genuine paranormal evidence.

True, you can have pagan atheism were the world is supernatural and paranormal stuff happens (naturalism/physicalism is false) but there is still no God.
However MOST 'analytic' atheists tend to be naturalist inclined to a scientific method.
There are other forms of atheism because at the end of the day atheism is just not believing in God and has nothing to do with other super natural beliefs such as ghosts.
Atheism does not imply rationality or a scientific approach to evidence. It just happens than a scientific, analytic, rational approach often leads to atheism.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post