Unexplained "spiritual" experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2015, 05:45 AM
RE: Unexplained "spiritual" experiences
(24-04-2015 09:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:55 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The only "REASON" it is thought potentially to be metaphor isn't because it's some grand figure.

It's because people of all degrees across so many realms speak in metaphors all the time about feeling inspired or devoted.

People speak in a variety of different ways, sarcastically, hyperbolically, metaphorically, etc.. Yet most us are able to navigate human language just fine, while some might have more trouble than others, like my mother in law, that doesn't understand sarcasm.

If I were to say, the Lord called me to preach, people will likely assume that I didn't mean this literally.

If I were to say, dude the other morning, something happened which I can't explain rationally, my "rationality left me", that morning, almost out of nowhere I heard a voice, saying to me "preach the gospel". It should be pretty clear that I meant this literally. You kind of have to be an idiot to assume otherwise.

Yabut, so what? Consider

You may mean that, but that doesn't mean there was anything other than your imagination fooling you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-04-2015, 10:29 PM
I think in general, we are hard on ourselves and believing in a supernatural realm helps us feel less helpless. But the truth is, we are not helpless. We are capable of extraordinary things. But we don't think so ( this is a human trait and it is worsened or lessened depending on our upbringing) and so we yearn for something to help us and save us... from ourselves. Atheism is about looking at one's self and realizing that the beauty of life and the power that we think we need to find elsewhere...is in us. If only we stop being so hard on ourselves.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
26-04-2015, 12:59 PM
(25-04-2015 10:29 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I think in general, we are hard on ourselves and believing in a supernatural realm helps us feel less helpless. But the truth is, we are not helpless. We are capable of extraordinary things. But we don't think so ( this is a human trait and it is worsened or lessened depending on our upbringing) and so we yearn for something to help us and save us... from ourselves. Atheism is about looking at one's self and realizing that the beauty of life and the power that we think we need to find elsewhere...is in us. If only we stop being so hard on ourselves.

World is a confusing place. World is clearly not a place that gives much of a shit about us. We like to feel that we can have some control. Maybe if we *ask* the super-beings that actually *do* control the world, they will help us, if they like us.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-04-2015, 06:53 PM
(26-04-2015 12:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 10:29 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I think in general, we are hard on ourselves and believing in a supernatural realm helps us feel less helpless. But the truth is, we are not helpless. We are capable of extraordinary things. But we don't think so ( this is a human trait and it is worsened or lessened depending on our upbringing) and so we yearn for something to help us and save us... from ourselves. Atheism is about looking at one's self and realizing that the beauty of life and the power that we think we need to find elsewhere...is in us. If only we stop being so hard on ourselves.

World is a confusing place. World is clearly not a place that gives much of a shit about us. We like to feel that we can have some control. Maybe if we *ask* the super-beings that actually *do* control the world, they will help us, if they like us.

But, we can control ourselves...and if more people worked together to make the world a better place, it just might be. Looking inward instead of outward is what can make it happen. All too often, people are looking for the answers in prayers to their deity, and the answers lie within.

Be true to yourself. Heart
27-04-2015, 12:24 AM
(26-04-2015 06:53 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 12:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  World is a confusing place. World is clearly not a place that gives much of a shit about us. We like to feel that we can have some control. Maybe if we *ask* the super-beings that actually *do* control the world, they will help us, if they like us.

But, we can control ourselves...and if more people worked together to make the world a better place, it just might be. Looking inward instead of outward is what can make it happen. All too often, people are looking for the answers in prayers to their deity, and the answers lie within.

Is true... kinda. Looking inward to me is synonymous with navel gazing though so I won't support that Tongue People who're brought up looking for answers from some magic ritual... it takes a lot to break that.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-04-2015, 04:55 PM
(27-04-2015 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  Looking inward to me is synonymous with navel gazing though so I won't support that ...

But have you really looked at your navel? I mean really looked at it?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-04-2015, 05:00 PM
My navel has a half moon hugging it from above. It's very special. Big Grin

Actually, when I was 3 I had a hernia from lugging around my 1 year old neighbor's kid. The docs thought they were smart and cut a half circle around my navel, claiming the scar would grow into the navel. Yeah, right. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-04-2015, 06:47 PM
(27-04-2015 05:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  My navel has a half moon hugging it from above. It's very special. Big Grin

Actually, when I was 3 I had a hernia from lugging around my 1 year old neighbor's kid. The docs thought they were smart and cut a half circle around my navel, claiming the scar would grow into the navel. Yeah, right. Tongue

C'mon, Dom - you know the drill. Pics ... Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2015, 06:59 PM
(27-04-2015 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 05:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  My navel has a half moon hugging it from above. It's very special. Big Grin

C'mon, Dom - you know the drill. Pics ... Drinking Beverage

Only very privileged people get to see this work of art! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-04-2015, 01:14 AM
(27-04-2015 04:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  Looking inward to me is synonymous with navel gazing though so I won't support that ...

But have you really looked at your navel? I mean really looked at it?

I've taken a gander at some ships of the South African coast guard through binoculars... that's about the extent of naval gazing I get up to Tongue