Unfairly denied from Job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
RE: Unfairly denied from Job
Hypathetically, when my offense does drop, and I have a clean record, would he still deny me from the work place? Knowing that offense previously? Even though any other employer would hire me? Is there something wrong with that picture?

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
(04-04-2013 12:03 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Hypathetically, when my offense does drop, and I have a clean record, would he still deny me from the work place? Knowing that offense previously? Even though any other employer would hire me? Is there something wrong with that picture?

It depends. If he couldn't hire you (policy) because it was on your record, he may be able to once it's off.

However, if he didn't hire you because of your awful depravity, then you're just screwed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Well said Chas. I don't think I want to work for a Catholic organization anyway. It's funny, the people that are supposed to be the most understanding and supportive, can be the most hypocritical.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
I think the change in voice that you picked up on was due to his automatic reaction to him hearing that, based on your admission, his hands were "tied."

You may have said, "Yes. I thought it would be best to be honest with you; I got a D.U.I. many years ago. I don't have a problem with it, as I don't consume it enough on a daily (or even monthly) basis to constitute it being regarded as interfering in my daily life and/or hinder my ability to perform necessary tasks adequately. I have learned my lesson and I know it shouldn't have happened in the first place..."

But what bossman heard, based on his employment position and HIS bosses, was, "I got a D.U.I. at some point in my life. I can't guarantee I don't have a problem and I certainly can't make any promises that it won't happen again."

I don't like when people drink and drive and I have never put myself in the situation because of my fear of getting a D.U.I. AND the possibility of KILLING SOMEONE.

But I am empathetic to this particular situation: You seem to understand that you made a mistake and you know it was wrong. By what you've stated, you have been an otherwise law-abiding citizen with no other criminal or risky behavior.

I think this job is a loss. You COULD legitimately ask this bossman if you were to have applied after it was cleared off of your record, would he have considered hiring you despite knowing of the D.U.I. I don't think you have much to lose in that respect: Either he says "yes" or "no." He could tell you to come back when the offense is expunged, or he could confirm that it doesn't matter when someone gets that offense; They are automatically ruled out as a potential employee.

I think you should wait to apply for any more jobs until the item is off the record.

No matter what, you've learned some valuable information regarding a potential employer's mindset and company rules: Although it hurts right NOW, you have only gained more knowledge.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
04-04-2013, 01:04 PM
(04-04-2013 12:52 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I think the change in voice that you picked up on was due to his automatic reaction to him hearing that, based on your admission, his hands were "tied."

You may have said, "Yes. I thought it would be best to be honest with you; I got a D.U.I. many years ago. I don't have a problem with it, as I don't consume it enough on a daily (or even monthly) basis to constitute it being regarded as interfering in my daily life and/or hinder my ability to perform necessary tasks adequately. I have learned my lesson and I know it shouldn't have happened in the first place..."

But what bossman heard, based on his employment position and HIS bosses, was, "I got a D.U.I. at some point in my life. I can't guarantee I don't have a problem and I certainly can't make any promises that it won't happen again."

I don't like when people drink and drive and I have never put myself in the situation because of my fear of getting a D.U.I. AND the possibility of KILLING SOMEONE.

But I am empathetic to this particular situation: You seem to understand that you made a mistake and you know it was wrong. By what you've stated, you have been an otherwise law-abiding citizen with no other criminal or risky behavior.

I think this job is a loss. You COULD legitimately ask this bossman if you were to have applied after it was cleared off of your record, would he have considered hiring you despite knowing of the D.U.I. I don't think you have much to lose in that respect: Either he says "yes" or "no." He could tell you to come back when the offense is expunged, or he could confirm that it doesn't matter when someone gets that offense; They are automatically ruled out as a potential employee.

I think you should wait to apply for any more jobs until the item is off the record.

No matter what, you've learned some valuable information regarding a potential employer's mindset and company rules: Although it hurts right NOW, you have only gained more knowledge.

Thank you for support guys. I really do appreciate all of this. I can come here on this forum, and not be judged. My family and friends are supportive, but it's not the same. Here, I can have conversations with people and get different views/imput rather than what my family/friends expected support.

I told him I would be happy to explain the NEG1 offense. And yes, I did say that. Only more knowledge in life, and more depressed about why people do the things they do. It seems the more I interact with people, the more I don't like most of them. I am lucky to find some gems in the treasure hunt of life however.

04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Take hope. When God closes one door, He always opens another.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
(04-04-2013 11:56 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 04:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Don't get mad at the cop because YOU were drink driving.
There should be a no-tolerance to blood-alcohol level whilst driving if you ask me, especially for under 21's.
If you knew you were driving you shouldn't have been drinking. You chose to drink and drive and were caught, suck it up.
To many people die on the roads needlessly because of drink drivers, and not just the drink drivers themselves. My cousin was killed on her way home from her final day of nursing school by a drunk driver who survived. I have no sympathy for you in that regards.

However, it does seem quite harsh to reject you for the job based on that offense alone. We all make mistakes and it was your first offense and you've had a perfect record since then.

But I suspect, as Anjele said, because it is working with troubled children the restricts are strict. He may have had no choice but to not hire you despite his personal wishes.
It's not a good look when someone who is working with children at high risk to alcohol abuse has a minor offense involving alcohol.

I should have not driven that night, duh.I was not asking for sympathy in that regard in the first place. And I am sorry about the loss of the cousin, but when things happen to other people extremly bad, people like that tend to become irrational based off of an event. I beleive personal issues and work should not go together.Drinking Beverage

You can believe whatever you want to believe, it doesn't mean that that is how society works or what other people, who's opinions matter (in this case your "boss") believe.

If I'm a well known prostitute in my spare time they're not about to elect me onto the board of trustees at the local primary school now are they.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Earmuffs, I feel you are unfairly judging her based upon the DUI. Why is it legal for .08 but not .09? Why was she able to prove she was sober (hence sobriety test) but yet still arrested and arraigned? There are a bunch of different types of DUI's...she was a DUi without injury and it was not "gross" intoxication. She only had a misdemeanor (which you can join the military with, teach at schools, and be a public official) and she has admitted in almost every thread she was wrong for driving and learned her lesson.

She's right in that her boss probably had an irrational fear (much like yourself earmuffs) of drunk drivers, and thus chose to not hire her solely based on that fact. Unfortunately, because of the law he has every right to do that, even tho it may not be right morally. She's a happy, healthy, mother of 3, with all the correct certs, training, education and could have been of great use to the job. It's pure politics.

"If I'm a well known prostitute in my spare time they're not about to elect me onto the board of trustees at the local primary school now are they"

Present and Past tense are huge difference makers....She MADE a mistake, while the prostitue is MAKING a mistake by moonlighting. Do you murder a child who steals a piece of candy from a gas station? No, you slap them on the wrist and tell them "stealing is wrong" and hope they learned a lesson, some do, some dont...in this case the Child learned her lesson and hasn't done it since. Life is full of mistakes....the true test of a good person is how they learn from the mistakes.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 3 users Like Likos02's post
04-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Re: Unfairly denied from Job
This thread is silly. "Irrational fear of drunk drivers"? There isn't really anything to discuss here. .

09= illegal. In my city I know for sure, if you blow a .09, the cop no longer has officer digression because the drunk driver is a giant liability, imagine what would happen if a cop let this .09er go and they crash and kill someone? You'd be asking for that cop's badge and a hefty settlement, and that's why most agencies make it a automatic arrest policy for DUIs.

Don't blame other people for your problems.
[+] 2 users Like TheBlackKnight's post
04-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Um...

Just to point out, this section is for issues & support. You're free to disagree as Muffs has, but active nastiness shall be edited. Also don't spread your own crap around on other people's threads, if something's doing your own head in, make your own issues & support thread Smile

Regards

Dog

PS: the editing may seem heavy handed. Unfortunately I don't have any way to gauge what the correct level is so I will err on the side of caution. My apologies in advance.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post