Unfairly denied from Job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 02:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 02:24 AM by morondog.)
RE: Unfairly denied from Job
You are free to be appalled and to state as such. The rules of this section are that personal attacks will not be countenanced. If you notice, I left a good portion of your rant intact. But the raving about how you hoped she would go to hell I edited. Problem ? Take it up with admin.

edit: As I noted above, the editing is perhaps heavy handed - I decided to err on the side of caution. I do genuinely encourage you to complain if you think it is unfair - but in the appropriate forum. I apologize for being grouchy Confused

/ end derail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 04:18 AM
Whew, okay, despite having a massive thread derailment....back on course again...nobody is excusing anyone's behavior, simply remarking about the huge amounts of public nastiness associated against drunk drivers. For the majority of drunken driving I agree with everything said about repeat occurances and lack of responsibility. But, like everything, there is a line that seperates irresponsibility and mistakes.

She made the mistake, acknowledges it, and took steps to fix it, and hasn't done it in 5 years. In my opinion, thats 1000% better then continuing the destructive behavior....good for you for realizing the mistake, keep trying to get the job you enjoy, and I would wait for your charges to drop off your record before filing a complaint.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 2 users Like Likos02's post
05-04-2013, 04:27 AM
(04-04-2013 10:08 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  Earmuffs, I feel you are unfairly judging her based upon the DUI. Why is it legal for .08 but not .09? Why was she able to prove she was sober (hence sobriety test) but yet still arrested and arraigned? There are a bunch of different types of DUI's...she was a DUi without injury and it was not "gross" intoxication. She only had a misdemeanor (which you can join the military with, teach at schools, and be a public official) and she has admitted in almost every thread she was wrong for driving and learned her lesson.

She's right in that her boss probably had an irrational fear (much like yourself earmuffs) of drunk drivers, and thus chose to not hire her solely based on that fact. Unfortunately, because of the law he has every right to do that, even tho it may not be right morally. She's a happy, healthy, mother of 3, with all the correct certs, training, education and could have been of great use to the job. It's pure politics.

"If I'm a well known prostitute in my spare time they're not about to elect me onto the board of trustees at the local primary school now are they"

Present and Past tense are huge difference makers....She MADE a mistake, while the prostitue is MAKING a mistake by moonlighting. Do you murder a child who steals a piece of candy from a gas station? No, you slap them on the wrist and tell them "stealing is wrong" and hope they learned a lesson, some do, some dont...in this case the Child learned her lesson and hasn't done it since. Life is full of mistakes....the true test of a good person is how they learn from the mistakes.

Irrational fear?
My fear of drunk drivers is totally rational. Anyone on the same roads as me (note: I ride a motorbike) that is severely impeded because they have consumed alcohol (which is purely their choice), is a major concern to MY safety.
Seconds, no correction, fractions of a second, that is all it takes between the line of being alive and being dead. I don't give a fuck about your opinion, the studies are clear cut that even at the legal limit your driving is impeded. It is simple as if you are driving you should not be consuming drugs. Wait till you get home or whatever. But don't put MY life in danger because you wanna have a few rounds with the boys.
2 tons of steal hurtling at 120kmph recklessly down the road towards me on my 150kg motorbike is not an irrational fear.

Quote:Do you murder a child who steals a piece of candy from a gas station? No, you slap them on the wrist and tell them "stealing is wrong" and hope they learned a lesson

No... You slap them on the wrist and the owner bans you and your child from their store.

And as I and others have already said, it is probably company policy.
It is working with at-risk children, it's not pumping gas or joining the military (which let's be honest, if restricted recruitment to non-offenders would have next to nobody...), and an alcohol related offense is not a good look when you are suppose to preventing the exact same thing occurring.

And so what if the boss did have a personal grudge against drink driving? He probably had family or friends killed by idiot drink drivers too. It is his prerogative to hire and not hire who he wants.

Choices have consequences, it's that simple. And don't try to downplay the seriousness of drink driving. People die. Die. Cease to exist.

Quote:You know what's worse than the DUI--you completely excusing your behavior.

Yea I thought about this too.
Your manner in this thread was to completely dismiss it like it was nothing (downplaying it's seriousness). If you were with that with this "boss" guy then that may well have effected his decision. The fact not that what you did but that you are not willing to own up to your mistake.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-04-2013, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 05:13 AM by DLJ.)
(04-04-2013 11:33 PM)Egor Wrote:  ...
You'll do it again and again. Typical atheist, narcissist, antisocial personality.
What a beautiful thing atheism is!

Do your homework, sunshine, she is a christian.

Evidence, post 19: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid275358

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
05-04-2013, 04:55 AM
(04-04-2013 12:12 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Well said Chas. I don't think I want to work for a Catholic organization anyway. It's funny, the people that are supposed to be the most understanding and supportive, can be the most hypocritical.

Ah! There is your answer.

To qualify for a child-care job in a catholic institution you need to be either...

a) a drunk and a child abuser with a current up-to-date criminal record
or
a) a drunk and a child abuser who has so far avoided getting a criminal record

get the pope to write you a reference.

No problem.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Again, If she had hurt someone, done it multiple times, or did not admit it was a mistake then I would agree with you 100%. However, once again, she admits it was stupid, and has fixed the mistake and never done it again. She was literally 6 months from that charge being expunged.

(on a side note, when I was a child I attempted to steal from a gas station, got a slap, and never did it again, I was also not banned, in fact the person on the register said "all you had to do was ask for it" and gave it to me, I haven't stole anything else in my life)

(double side note: most services have a restriction on joining with offenses on their record, only the army allows it on a regular basis, you can get a waiver, but it has to be for something trivial, like a .09 on a field breath test being that field breath tests are extremely inaccurate.)

As a friend sitting next to me pointed out, and in the point above, field breath tests can be extremely inaccurate, and judging on the charge being dropped down to a misdemeanor, I'm guessing the device had not been calibrated recently....So in all probability she was under the legal limit, as she passed the sobriety test (as stated in the OP).

The OP was not asking for sympathy about the drunk driving charge, even admitted she was wrong to drive, but rather the result of the drunk driving charge 4.5 years AFTER the fact. And she has a very valid point, in that she is not a repeat offender, and in 6 months the guy wouldn't have even seen the charge, she was trying to be honest.

I agree with you that drunk drivers have the possibility of causing massive amounts of damage and of killing people. That point is not in dispute. I agree with you that she was wrong to drive even if she was under the legal limit. That point is not in dispute. What I do not agree with, is labelling her a bad person or saying she is not fit for a job for making a mistake 4.5 years ago, which she fixed, and has a stellar record since then.

I consider her a better person for fixing what she had wrong with herself, and attempting to find a job helping children.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 2 users Like Likos02's post
05-04-2013, 01:09 PM
(05-04-2013 04:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 11:33 PM)Egor Wrote:  ...
You'll do it again and again. Typical atheist, narcissist, antisocial personality.Laughat
What a beautiful thing atheism is!

Do your homework, sunshine, she is a christian.

Evidence, post 19: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid275358

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
05-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Thank you sooo much for understanding. I did not get to read the hateful words that were edited. Oh well. I assume that is how hateful people feel about themselves. Let bigones be bigones. I do enjoy some good laughs on this thread.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
05-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Hey, puppy!

As someone who's been to her fair share of job interviews (well, actually not that many, but still), a general piece of advice - let it go when you don't get the job. People won't hire you for heaps of reasons, some - valid, some - ridiculous (same goes for hiring, lots of people get hired for the most ridiculous of reasons, often - over someone much better qualified). The moment that happens, just forget about it - nothing you can do, it's their decision and the only one who'll be tormenting herself will be you.

This being said - being turned down for a job sucks, no matter what the reason. So, I feel your pain.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
05-04-2013, 01:23 PM
(04-04-2013 02:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 11:56 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I should have not driven that night, duh.I was not asking for sympathy in that regard in the first place. And I am sorry about the loss of the cousin, but when things happen to other people extremly bad, people like that tend to become irrational based off of an event. I beleive personal issues and work should not go together.Drinking Beverage

You can believe whatever you want to believe, it doesn't mean that that is how society works or what other people, who's opinions matter (in this case your "boss") believe.

And you believe whatever you want to believe. Peace out and have a good lifeSmile Please don't post on any of my threads. Thank you.

If I'm a well known prostitute in my spare time they're not about to elect me onto the board of trustees at the local primary school now are they.