Unfairly denied from Job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Unfairly denied from Job
4.5 years ago, I ended up getting a D.U.I. It was really dumb, because I blew a .09, and the legal limit is .08. Anyway, I passed the sobriety test. The fucking asshole cop ended up arresting me anyway, because he was power tripping hardcore, and legally, I was intoxicated. To me, and people that know me, I was not intoxicated. Totslly remember everything that night. I ended up getting attained, fingerprints, jail time...a bunch of bull shit for a petty first offense.Dodgy I ended up getting a lawyer, and dropping it to a NEG 1. This year, in October, it will be completly off of my record. I have had no traffic violations since, and have not gotten in trouble with the law. I barely drink as it is!

This is one of the most frusterating thing! I applied for a job to be a counselor for at risk youth. Super stoked, super excited. I had interview and went great. Had resume, great employment history, wonderful resources, proof of certifications and more. I essentially got the job, gave me 1-9's to fill out, w-4's, employees rights etc etc. Smartass
Until today. I got a call from the employer, and he wanted to ask me about it. Since it only shows up as a misdemeanr, I could have lied about it, but i decided to be honest and tell the truth. I told him what happened, and said it is going to be gone off of my record in 6 months. If I had waited 6 months to apply for this job, he would have no idea of my former conviction 5 years ago.

So guess what happened next....his tone of voice changed, and told me he won't hire because of it. :blink:He unfairly judged me for something that happened almost 5 years ago. My next response was..."wow, really?" My stomach started to sink, and felt an amazing sense of grief and sadness.

I have worked so hard in college, being a busy mom of 3. It hurts me because I don't deserve to be treated like a criminal.Weeping He talked to me as if I murdered a baby or something. There are many employee's there, and I am sure that somebody has gotten something worse than a petty misdemeanor. George Bush was our fucking president and had a D.U.I. for Christ's sake. I really want to send him a letter asking why he is an arrogant, unethical, and biased as all hell.
Please, I am looking for support here.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 02:36 PM
RE: Unfairly denied from Job
ouch, on the plus side, you didn't end up working for an asshole...
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Don't stop looking for them jobs, sweetheart, they're out there!
The Bossman? He's a complete pile of dog doo wrapped up in a douchebag!!!
YOU? You're a kick ass chick, hot momma Thumbsup

03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Probably he has an unruly alcoholic in his life and is scared of people who drink, or, someone he knows was run over by a drunk person, or some such thing. I assume it's a personal issue and you scared him.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-04-2013, 02:42 PM
The dog is right. This guy sounds like either a rigid rules follower or a weak, cover-his-ass type.

Had he an ounce of sense, he would understand that your experience would be useful.

Hard though it may be to accept, you are probably better off not getting this job.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Here is the irony. Right now, I am drinking wine, at 1:45 in the afternoon.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Rules are often pretty strict when it comes to jobs working with at-risk kids. The man may have actually been pretty impressed with you but disappointed that he couldn't hire you due to company rules.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
04-04-2013, 01:34 AM
I understand the strict rules part. But if he just denied my job solely based off of that, then he is in my book of assholes, verse 12:20. What does he think I can possibly do that would affect my work?!

"Welp, it's time to go to work, let me chug some Jack Daniels, get beligerenty drunk, and then drive into the company buiding and kill his wife and his baby accidenly. Oops, my bad."

http://youtu.be/0mOmHupi1SI

04-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Don't get mad at the cop because YOU were drink driving.
There should be a no-tolerance to blood-alcohol level whilst driving if you ask me, especially for under 21's.
If you knew you were driving you shouldn't have been drinking. You chose to drink and drive and were caught, suck it up.
To many people die on the roads needlessly because of drink drivers, and not just the drink drivers themselves. My cousin was killed on her way home from her final day of nursing school by a drunk driver who survived. I have no sympathy for you in that regards.

However, it does seem quite harsh to reject you for the job based on that offense alone. We all make mistakes and it was your first offense and you've had a perfect record since then.

But I suspect, as Anjele said, because it is working with troubled children the restricts are strict. He may have had no choice but to not hire you despite his personal wishes.
It's not a good look when someone who is working with children at high risk to alcohol abuse has a minor offense involving alcohol.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
04-04-2013, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 11:59 AM by CaffinatedPuppy.)
(04-04-2013 04:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Don't get mad at the cop because YOU were drink driving.
There should be a no-tolerance to blood-alcohol level whilst driving if you ask me, especially for under 21's.
If you knew you were driving you shouldn't have been drinking. You chose to drink and drive and were caught, suck it up.
To many people die on the roads needlessly because of drink drivers, and not just the drink drivers themselves. My cousin was killed on her way home from her final day of nursing school by a drunk driver who survived. I have no sympathy for you in that regards.

However, it does seem quite harsh to reject you for the job based on that offense alone. We all make mistakes and it was your first offense and you've had a perfect record since then.

But I suspect, as Anjele said, because it is working with troubled children the restricts are strict. He may have had no choice but to not hire you despite his personal wishes.
It's not a good look when someone who is working with children at high risk to alcohol abuse has a minor offense involving alcohol.

I should have not driven that night, duh.I was not asking for sympathy in that regard in the first place. And I am sorry about the loss of the cousin, but when things happen to other people extremly bad, people like that tend to become irrational based off of an event. I beleive personal issues and work should not go together.Drinking Beverage