Unforgivable sin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Unforgivable sin
I don't understand the purpose of proselytizing to a group of Atheists. I really don't understand the purpose of posts like those by HBL if it were in any other context than trolling. Aren't most of us a "lost cause"?

"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven" (Matt. 12:31)

To me this says even if I beg forgiveness I won't receive it. I self identified as an agnostic atheist as a teen from about 15-18. Pascal's wager won out thanks to fear of hell placed by childhood indoctrination. When I was 18 I called it "reconsidering my faith". However, I spent years struggling because of this verse and believed I was still going to hell. Surely a good, benevolent god wouldn't send me to hell. But then you still have the baptist response of "even good people go to hell, you can't earn your way to heaven. You get there through the blood of the cross."

Christianity is such a mindfuck.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
14-08-2014, 03:35 PM
RE: Unforgivable sin
(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I don't understand the purpose of proselytizing to a group of Atheists.
Many of them get taught that it is their obligation to recruit for Jesus.
And some of those people believe whatever they are told by their spiritual leader.
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
14-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I agree Yes

[Image: 350lykh.jpg]

[Image: mv2jdk.jpg]

[Image: 24mdi5l.jpg]

gotta love the stupidity of it all. I remember fondly how the preachers told me, "I have now healed your children through the power of jesus christ, you have only to truly believe in Him."

Great, so when both of my children died from Infantile Tay-Sachs a few months later I guess it is my fault, I must not have believed hard enough...truly Facepalm

mind fuck

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 9 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
14-08-2014, 07:52 PM
(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I don't understand the purpose of proselytizing to a group of Atheists. I really don't understand the purpose of posts like those by HBL if it were in any other context than trolling. Aren't most of us a "lost cause"?

"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven" (Matt. 12:31)

To me this says even if I beg forgiveness I won't receive it. I self identified as an agnostic atheist as a teen from about 15-18. Pascal's wager won out thanks to fear of hell placed by childhood indoctrination. When I was 18 I called it "reconsidering my faith". However, I spent years struggling because of this verse and believed I was still going to hell. Surely a good, benevolent god wouldn't send me to hell. But then you still have the baptist response of "even good people go to hell, you can't earn your way to heaven. You get there through the blood of the cross."

They also get brownies from their god if they proselytize and get abused for it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-08-2014, 07:57 PM
The unforgivable sins are wearing whites after Labor Day, and plaids with stripes. When Jesus was on the cross, as you no doubt have heard, he looked down at all the fashion faux pas of those attending his crucifixion, and saw all the clashing stripes and plaids. That's why he looked up to heaven, and said "Father forgive them they know not what they do", and then died. He just couldn't take it. And, that's why they're called, "the unforgivable sins".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-08-2014, 06:07 AM
Quote:Hebrews 10:26-29
For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Anyone that willfully sins grieves the Holy Spirit, so that basically means every person, including Christians; are going to hell.
I was raised in a Pentecostal household, even had the baptism of the Holy Spirit, I can still babble in tongues to this day.

My rationality flipped the bird to the Holy Spirit and its thuggish triumvirate. Oh yeah, I more than grieved the imaginary spirit, I spit in it's face. But- I'm still here, no lightning struck, it's ironic, I can still show a "sign of the spirit" by speaking in tongues as an atheist. That which comforted me as a believer with proof of god's power now makes me laugh at the stupidity of it as I can babble with the best of the Pentecostal nut-jobs- and I do so as I mock it for the fantasy that it is.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
15-08-2014, 06:14 AM
(14-08-2014 03:36 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I agree Yes

[Image: 350lykh.jpg]

[Image: mv2jdk.jpg]

[Image: 24mdi5l.jpg]

gotta love the stupidity of it all. I remember fondly how the preachers told me, "I have now healed your children through the power of jesus christ, you have only to truly believe in Him."

Great, so when both of my children died from Infantile Tay-Sachs a few months later I guess it is my fault, I must not have believed hard enough...truly Facepalm

mind fuck

Yeah, Christians just don't understand how hurtful it is when you desperately need an answer from god, and all you get are platitudes when it doesn't work. I'm saddened by your loss....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
15-08-2014, 06:42 AM
(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I don't understand the purpose of proselytizing to a group of Atheists. I really don't understand the purpose of posts like those by HBL if it were in any other context than trolling. Aren't most of us a "lost cause"?

It is because they get double or triple credit for trying to convert people like us. If you were never a Christian you may not understand, but for me I can see it clearly, even tho I was not a thumper.

Preaching to the heathens - 1 point
Having the heathens talk back (martyred) - 1 point
Sending heathens to hell - 1 point
continuing to preach to the heathens after being martyred and sending them to hell - 2 points
Etc.

Because we are all grouped together like fish in a barrel it is easy fishing. Unfortunately we take the bait. I am as guilty as others for doing so. They have no interest in discussion. They are here to preach.
15-08-2014, 06:57 AM

hbl is a flat-out troll. He's made it obvious. He's just here to fuck with us.

(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven" (Matt. 12:31)

I imagine that rule was added to keep people from questioning things too much. That being said, it open to interpretation as to what that even means, so plenty of people might not consider us a lost cause.

(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  To me this says even if I beg forgiveness I won't receive it. I self identified as an agnostic atheist as a teen from about 15-18. Pascal's wager won out thanks to fear of hell placed by childhood indoctrination. When I was 18 I called it "reconsidering my faith". However, I spent years struggling because of this verse and believed I was still going to hell. Surely a good, benevolent god wouldn't send me to hell. But then you still have the baptist response of "even good people go to hell, you can't earn your way to heaven. You get there through the blood of the cross."

Most of the Baptists I've talked to seem to have a strong need to "be right". They talk about how right they are and pat themselves on the back. If someone believes different things about the Bible, they're quick to tell that person how wrong they are. If a genuine skeptic comes up and asks them actual hard questions, they dismiss the whole thing because the other person isn't "truly saved", so it's impossible for them to "get it". Mix in a hefty dose of persecution complex to give them some sort of moral high ground, and you have an unyielding person who really really believes things they can't even begin to prove or demonstrate.

What you're seeing here is a symptom of that. They're convinced that X gets them into heaven, and X doesn't specifically involve being a good person. They see a lot of "good" people as standing against their beliefs, so anything that is not X is demonized. On a side note, it's always fun to stand on the sidelines and watch two "true" believers argue incessantly over what X is.

(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Christianity is such a mindfuck.

[Image: 1042528d1365617788-lew-huey-chronograph-...ed-627.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
15-08-2014, 07:04 AM
(15-08-2014 06:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

hbl is a flat-out troll. He's made it obvious. He's just here to fuck with us.

(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven" (Matt. 12:31)

I imagine that rule was added to keep people from questioning things too much. That being said, it open to interpretation as to what that even means, so plenty of people might not consider us a lost cause.

(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  To me this says even if I beg forgiveness I won't receive it. I self identified as an agnostic atheist as a teen from about 15-18. Pascal's wager won out thanks to fear of hell placed by childhood indoctrination. When I was 18 I called it "reconsidering my faith". However, I spent years struggling because of this verse and believed I was still going to hell. Surely a good, benevolent god wouldn't send me to hell. But then you still have the baptist response of "even good people go to hell, you can't earn your way to heaven. You get there through the blood of the cross."

Most of the Baptists I've talked to seem to have a strong need to "be right". They talk about how right they are and pat themselves on the back. If someone believes different things about the Bible, they're quick to tell that person how wrong they are. If a genuine skeptic comes up and asks them actual hard questions, they dismiss the whole thing because the other person isn't "truly saved", so it's impossible for them to "get it". Mix in a hefty dose of persecution complex to give them some sort of moral high ground, and you have an unyielding person who really really believes things they can't even begin to prove or demonstrate.

What you're seeing here is a symptom of that. They're convinced that X gets them into heaven, and X doesn't specifically involve being a good person. They see a lot of "good" people as standing against their beliefs, so anything that is not X is demonized. On a side note, it's always fun to stand on the sidelines and watch two "true" believers argue incessantly over what X is.

(14-08-2014 03:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Christianity is such a mindfuck.

[Image: 1042528d1365617788-lew-huey-chronograph-...ed-627.jpg]

Can some mod let me "like" this comment five more times?

Thank you