Unforgivable sin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 09:57 AM
RE: Unforgivable sin
I've always wanted to hear a suitable Arminian answer for this subject.

I don't think there is one. Robby, do you know?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 10:03 AM
I thought for a moment we were talking about the cruciatus curse, imperio and avada kedavra.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
15-08-2014, 12:13 PM
(15-08-2014 09:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've always wanted to hear a suitable Arminian answer for this subject.

I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding: I've heard the term Arminian used numerous times before, and in context, it seems to be in contrast to Calvinism, but I'm not exactly sure what that stance is. As far as I can tell, it's the typical stance of Southern Baptists, correct?

Edit:
Assuming this is the case, from my time at the den of Baptists, I was typically just dismissed because I wasn't a "truly saved", so they said I wouldn't be able to understand. It was all very hand-wavy. They would argue at length with the two resident Calvinists of the group about the nature of salvation, but I never once saw them discuss the issue of whether or not someone could be a "lost cause". I suppose I can ask my Baptist friend what his stance is.
15-08-2014, 12:21 PM
(15-08-2014 12:13 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 09:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've always wanted to hear a suitable Arminian answer for this subject.

I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding: I've heard the term Arminian used numerous times before, and in context, it seems to be in contrast to Calvinism, but I'm not exactly sure what that stance is. As far as I can tell, it's the typical stance of Southern Baptists, correct?

Edit:
Assuming this is the case, from my time at the den of Baptists, I was typically just dismissed because I wasn't a "truly saved", so they said I wouldn't be able to understand. It was all very hand-wavy. They would argue at length with the two resident Calvinists of the group about the nature of salvation, but I never once saw them discuss the issue of whether or not someone could be a "lost cause". I suppose I can ask my Baptist friend what his stance is.

Yeah, Arminian = opposite of Calvinism

Just wondering because it kind of goes against Arminian teachings that you always have the ability to ask for salvation. If you blasphemed the Holy Spirit and then asked for salvation some years later, according to scripture (and Arminian teachings), you cannot be forgiven or saved.

Again... never heard an Arminian try and defend this with scripture or coherent explanations.

15-08-2014, 12:33 PM
(15-08-2014 12:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, Arminian = opposite of Calvinism

Can't be that opposite, if the Arminian Methodists and Calvinist Presbyterians have been successful partners for going on 90 years...

... this is my signature!
15-08-2014, 12:42 PM
(15-08-2014 12:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 12:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, Arminian = opposite of Calvinism

Can't be that opposite, if the Arminian Methodists and Calvinist Presbyterians have been successful partners for going on 90 years...

That has zero to do with their beliefs on salvation/how salvation is reached.

Goats and llamas get along wonderfully; however, that doesn't mean they are the same thing...

15-08-2014, 12:50 PM
(15-08-2014 12:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 12:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Can't be that opposite, if the Arminian Methodists and Calvinist Presbyterians have been successful partners for going on 90 years...

That has zero to do with their beliefs on salvation/how salvation is reached.

I'm well aware of the difference between salvation by will or by grace alone, but the practical consequences of that distinction are essentially non-existent.

If it was an insurmountable disagreement, it would have remained insurmountable.

... this is my signature!
15-08-2014, 01:14 PM
(15-08-2014 12:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Just wondering because it kind of goes against Arminian teachings that you always have the ability to ask for salvation. If you blasphemed the Holy Spirit and then asked for salvation some years later, according to scripture (and Arminian teachings), you cannot be forgiven or saved.

Again... never heard an Arminian try and defend this with scripture or coherent explanations.

Are you saying that they've never defended the idea that blaspheming the Holy Spirit is unforgivable using scripture, or something else?

I'll ask my Baptist friend what his thoughts are on the matter.
15-08-2014, 01:17 PM
AFAIK the deal with that verse about how Jesus basically said "You = Fucked" if you ever chirp the Holy Poltergeist is as follows:
- It is technically possible for you to be forgiven, in the sense that you have committed a sin (bad person).
- You won't be. You. Are. Fucked.

It's like this from the deity p.o.v.:
- I have the ability to do X.
- I won't do it 'cos I don't wanna.

Thus do the Arminians with their weaselly ways avoid the dilemma...

I spent my moderately retarded childhood worrying slightly about this verse due to an incident in primary school...

Shortly after I decided I was really an atheist I decided it was a very practical thing, now if someone *reaaaaally* wants to convert me I can tell him (long face) "Sorry man, I'm going to hell either way, I blasphemed the holy fucking spirit"... rarely do they continue proselytizing Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-08-2014, 01:59 PM
(15-08-2014 12:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 12:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  That has zero to do with their beliefs on salvation/how salvation is reached.

I'm well aware of the difference between salvation by will or by grace alone, but the practical consequences of that distinction are essentially non-existent.

If it was an insurmountable disagreement, it would have remained insurmountable.

When did I ever say this or even hint that this was a thing? You pretty much just created this argument out of thin air to be contrary because I started posting.