Unhappiness and Generation Y

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Unhappiness and Generation Y
This fits here as well as anywhere else.

http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-ge...y.html?m=1

There are multiple points raised in this article where I very clearly saw things I do, have done, say, or have said.

It is incredibly difficult to take criticism and even more difficult to accept the fact that you may be (at best) average in the things you do. But perhaps that is only because my expectations are not centered around being average, but being above that. Better than that. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I have to stop expecting to be great at it from the get-go. Being better than average, means practice and experience. It takes time.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2013, 06:44 PM
RE: Unhappiness and Generation Y
Interesting article. Interesting comments below, too Undecided Everyone wanting to blame each other.
17-09-2013, 09:34 PM
(17-09-2013 11:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This fits here as well as anywhere else.

http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-ge...y.html?m=1

There are multiple points raised in this article where I very clearly saw things I do, have done, say, or have said.

It is incredibly difficult to take criticism and even more difficult to accept the fact that you may be (at best) average in the things you do. But perhaps that is only because my expectations are not centered around being average, but being above that. Better than that. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I have to stop expecting to be great at it from the get-go. Being better than average, means practice and experience. It takes time.

These generation generalizations are nothing but fatuous crap, no better than fortune tellers or astrologists are predicting the behavior of the individual. The argument these kinds of articles makes boils down to 'kids these days'.
17-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Eh, as a Gen Y myself, I understand where the writer is coming from.
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
18-09-2013, 04:53 AM
Re: Unhappiness and Generation Y
Yes, every generation gets blamed for something. This isn't blaming anyone though for a messed-up economy or calling us (I'm a Gen Y) all out (note that the author does try to specify a group within the larger group) for being lazy bums or anything.

The point is identify problems, and identify causes. After that, finding a solution should be easier.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
18-09-2013, 05:15 AM
I always considered the age range he mostly covered generation x.. Except after mid 80s.

I don't see any difference to the past.. Not sure where people find a distinction, the previous generations were with the same unhappiness in that age but what was outwardly public about feelings is different in this era.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-09-2013, 06:30 AM
I think the idea is what made one generation happy or unhappy has changed (even if slightly).

Thinking back to the article, it is probably a stretch to say that generation y is unique in thinking that it would be successful when in their 20's. I'm sure that's much more broad but it's easier than ever to both be bombarded with other people's success, or their fake success. This seems pretty spot on. First thing I thought of when I read that? Some of my Facebook posts. I immediately began to scour through my most recent ones to see if I was guilty of over inflating myself (I dared not go back too far, my past conduct on Facebook can be quite embarrassing).

—Thomas Henry Huxley
18-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Rolleyes

This thingy seems to be doing the rounds on the net...

Mostly posted on fb by people whom I perceive as more successful than me Tongue Bastards... I'll post it too. Then they'll think I'm successful...
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
18-09-2013, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2013 08:24 PM by aurora.)
I think the following article may be relevant here:-

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/comp...narcissism

I'm not sure what the consequences may be but I don't see it being beneficial.
Time will tell.
When a society lacks empathy (another trait of narcissism) it tends to break down.

Edit: Wow. Here's another one...

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archiv...ic/274336/

If only some of this is true.....

It looks like the jury is out on this:-

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/02/narcissism.aspx
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
18-09-2013, 08:41 PM
I generally feel I'm below average in talents and abilities and right at average in intelligence. However, seeing that I just now have my first paid job in seven years (I have had 3 non-paying volunteer jobs), I don't qualify as being in the "yuppie" category. My husband makes good money and I'm glad about it but we're not exacting scaling the social ladder or living in extravagance.