Unholy PCs (Share Your Custom PC Builds)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: Unholy PCs (Share Your Custom PC Builds)
I've done this before on another thread, so I'll do it again here.

My computers specs:

Nothing to see here folks. Move along, move along. Weeping

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
11-09-2013, 10:10 AM
(11-09-2013 09:57 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Yeah it's a very nice pile of parts waiting to be RMAed

Something went wrong when I plugged in my last fan, I took it all apart to debug and accidentally bent some socket pins...Ordered a brand new Mobo....still broken.

Now I'm going to RMA pretty much the whole shebang (new Mobo, GPU, CPU, RAM) and see what comes of it.

Oughtn't you not try one component at a time?

Well, but I suppose the time then is the most important factor. So it's faster to go all in.

Do you not have the spare components on hand to test all but the CPU?

... this is my signature!
11-09-2013, 11:05 AM
(11-09-2013 10:10 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 09:57 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Yeah it's a very nice pile of parts waiting to be RMAed

Something went wrong when I plugged in my last fan, I took it all apart to debug and accidentally bent some socket pins...Ordered a brand new Mobo....still broken.

Now I'm going to RMA pretty much the whole shebang (new Mobo, GPU, CPU, RAM) and see what comes of it.

Oughtn't you not try one component at a time?

Well, but I suppose the time then is the most important factor. So it's faster to go all in.

Do you not have the spare components on hand to test all but the CPU?

Well at this point I don't know if it is the CPU or the RAM...or if whatever caused the issue also fried my GPU or this new Mobo. Tried a different PSU and that was a failure (I have one lying around that has enough juice to run the Board/CPU but not much else).

...All my suspicions point at the CPU right now, but I can come up with other scenarios...like what if my big arse cooler mount shorted both mobos? etc.

I don't have any spare DDR3 and I only know one person with a Haswell (and it's asking a lot to have someone rip out their CPU for you).

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2013, 11:10 AM
(11-09-2013 11:05 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Well at this point I don't know if it is the CPU or the RAM...or if whatever caused the issue also fried my GPU or this new Mobo. Tried a different PSU and that was a failure (I have one lying around that has enough juice to run the Board/CPU but not much else).

...All my suspicions point at the CPU right now, but I can come up with other scenarios...like what if my big arse cooler mount shorted both mobos? etc.

I don't have any spare DDR3 and I only know one person with a Haswell (and it's asking a lot to have someone rip out their CPU for you).

Well; the CPU is indeed a bit hard to isolate. Big Grin

You do have the GPU in your current system, no? Not much difficulty in swaping that back and forth. I was figuring on multiple sticks of RAM; one at a time is enough to test for a successful POST.

"Fuck it, new everything" is less work. Quite an understandable position!

... this is my signature!
11-09-2013, 11:36 AM
(11-09-2013 11:10 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 11:05 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Well at this point I don't know if it is the CPU or the RAM...or if whatever caused the issue also fried my GPU or this new Mobo. Tried a different PSU and that was a failure (I have one lying around that has enough juice to run the Board/CPU but not much else).

Well; the CPU is indeed a bit hard to isolate. Big Grin

You do have the GPU in your current system, no? Not much difficulty in swaping that back and forth. I was figuring on multiple sticks of RAM; one at a time is enough to test for a successful POST.

"Fuck it, new everything" is less work. Quite an understandable position!

It doesn't post even without GPU...without the CPU the board will show code '00' with the CPU the board will blip on for 1/2 second and peripherals get power but no post or code/board lights/CPU fans. Which is weird cause the last board would show '00' even with the CPU.

My last machine was an iMac and I have a Macbook Pro...so yeah no part swappage taking place...Only thing I had was that old PSU.

...I like playing computer detective but not when it's a pile of brand new parts worth about 2K and the clock is ticking.

11-09-2013, 03:23 PM
How did you manage to buy a bunch of computer parts that don't work?

I've been building computers all my life and never had an issues like this. Did you rub all the peripherals on a woolen jumper before installing them?

Maybe you were unlucky and someone hit them a few times with a Van de Graaff generator before they got packed at the factory.

Part swapping is usually the best way to find a problem. Maybe you should look into the motherboard model and make sure your cpu and ram is supported. You might have to flash the bios which can't be done without minimal functionality.

Try holding the insert key on the keyboard while powering on. It signals the bios to run the cpu and ram at lower speed. A kind of safe mode. The bios programs these days are allot smarter so this normally isn't needed.

Find a comparable pc that works and test the peripherals in that.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
11-09-2013, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 06:09 PM by ridethespiral.)
(11-09-2013 03:23 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  How did you manage to buy a bunch of computer parts that don't work?

I've been building computers all my life and never had an issues like this. Did you rub all the peripherals on a woolen jumper before installing them?

Maybe you were unlucky and someone hit them a few times with a Van de Graaff generator before they got packed at the factory.

Part swapping is usually the best way to find a problem. Maybe you should look into the motherboard model and make sure your cpu and ram is supported. You might have to flash the bios which can't be done without minimal functionality.

Try holding the insert key on the keyboard while powering on. It signals the bios to run the cpu and ram at lower speed. A kind of safe mode. The bios programs these days are allot smarter so this normally isn't needed.

Find a comparable pc that works and test the peripherals in that.

I dunno man I have terrible luck...I didn't wear a strap but I was barefoot on linoleum and I touched the case in-between each part and I never felt any discharge.

My MoBo supports USB flashing, and I tried that...on both boards...nada. The parts compatibility checks out on pcpartpicker, and was reviewed by some posters there and double checked by myself, and besides I had it booting for a day...only funky compatibility issue might be the cooler mounting.

Problem is the machine is cutting edge and I'm coming form 8 years of MAC products. I only know one person with a Haswell CPU and board, and 2 people with DDR3..But it's a lot to ask a co-worker to loan me their RAM/CPU (especially when CPU guy lives like 2 hours away and only works part time from home).

I had the whole machine running, booting windows and everything and I rearranged some fans on my case, I had some issues getting my fan LEDs to come on so I was playing with those with the PSU on but the machine off and getting nothing, then I booted and the fans lit up (had to boot, I figured they would passively glow), the board came on and then all the fans stopped and the board just showed a '00' code. I had all 5 fan headers in use (including a splitter for a 6th)...So I figured I must have blew the fan headers, but I got a brand new board and still no boot (sans fans).

Other possibilities....

Maybe my big arse dual tower cooler shorted both boards with it's mounting/bent my boards with it's weight?
Maybe the PSU is frying components (can you screw up a PSU plugging some LEDs into a molex backwards?)?
Maybe the Processor is a lemon?
Maybe the arctic silver is to blame(I didn't use too much but I had to do a few wipes around the edges while spending about an hour sliding the cooler around and trying to get it to take it's mounts)?
Maybe I screwed through a fan lead and electrified the case (which I doubt cause it's not zapping me)?
Maybe the magnet on my long phillips head (only used on cooler mounts) screwed something up?
Maybe blowing the fan headers (if I did blow them) the first time killed my RAM?

...I really have no idea, the CPU is my prime suspect (even though my A++ friend says that he rarely sees bad CPUs) cause both boards have more functionality with the CPU removed. Super frustrating. I thought I was home free after she booted to windows.

I'm packing up all the core components after the baby goes to bed...then I just have to wait who knows how long....Good thing BF4 doesn't come out until Oct, and ESO got delayed 6 months because of consoles.

If you can see this here it is with the second motherboard failing to boot after I removed it from the case and placed it on some cardboard. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101...=2&theater

11-09-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd suspect PSU before CPU. Especially considering everything went to shit when you playing with it and the fans. If the motherboard hasn't displayed any Q-codes, and the Q LED's for CPU, GPU, RAM, and boot device are not lighting up when you turn the machine on, the problem is likely elsewhere, and I suspect the PSU.

That is, unless you tried to put the CPU into the socket when the pins were bent, in which case, yeah CPU would be suspect.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
11-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Oh and to add to the thread, my modest budget build from about a year and a half ago:

Gigabyte Z77-UD3H
Intel Core-i5 2500k
8GB G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 1866 RAM
Sapphire HD6950 2GB
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD (OS Drive)
OCZ ModXtreme Pro 600W Modular PSU
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Media Drive)
WD Caviar Blue 500GB (Seed Drive)

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
12-09-2013, 05:01 AM
My most recent purchase was October 2012:
Asrock Z77 PROFESSIONAL Z77/4
Intel SSD 120GB 330 Series
Intel Core i7 3770 LGA1155 CPU
G.Skill 16GB [SNIPER] DDR3-1866
I mostly use it for browsing the web.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.