Unicorns. satyrs, cockatrices, dragons

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
08-01-2011, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2011 08:33 AM by theophilus.)
Unicorns. satyrs, cockatrices, dragons
Here is an interesting entry in the blog on this site:

http://thethinkingatheist.com/blog/?id=9&showEntry=1

It begins with this statement
Quote:If you believe the Holy Bible is absolutely, perfectly accurate and infallible:
and then list some things a Bible believer must believe. I won't take the time to examine the whole entry but I will discuss four of the things we supposedly must believe.

Quote:• You believe in unicorns, referenced no less than 8 times in the bible. (Numbers 23:22, Numbers 24:8, Deuteronomy 33:17, Job 39:9-10, Psalm 22:21, Psalm 29:6, Psalm 92:10, Isaiah 34:7)
The author of the entry evidently used the King James translation. I would like to look at how the English Standard Version translates this word. You can read this translation online here:

http://www.esvonline.org/Genesis+1/

Numbers 23:22 is translated
Quote:God brings them out of Egypt and is for them like the horns of the wild ox.
I won't quote the rest of the verses cited here but you can look them up for yourself.

Quote:• You believe in the Satyr, a creature of Greek mythology. It is a man with a goat’s legs, ears and horns. (Isaiah 13:21, Isaiah 34:34)
The ESV translates Isaiah 13:21 as
Quote:But wild animals will lie down there, and their houses will be full of howling creatures; there ostriches will dwell, and there wild goats will dance.

Quote:• You believe in the Cockatrice, a serpent hatched from a rooster’s egg that can kill with a glance. (Jeremiah 8:17, Isaiah 11:8, Isaiah 59:5, Isaiah 14: 29)

The ESV translates Jeremiah 8:17
Quote:For behold, I am sending among you serpents, adders that cannot be charmed, and they shall bite you,” declares the LORD.
The translators of the King James Bible made some poor choices in deciding which English words to use for some of the Hebrew words.

Quote:• You also believe in dragons. Yes, the authors of scripture speak about dragons as real creatures.
(Deuteronomy 32:33, Job 30:29, Psalm 74:13, Isaiah 27:1, Jeremiah 9:11, Micah 1:8)

This statement is correct. Those who believe the Bible and those who reject it all believe in dragons. However we use a different name for them now. We call them dinosaurs. The fact that we have stories about dragons that interacted with people show that dinosaurs didn't die out as long ago as many people believe.

http://scienceagainstevolution.org/v3i1f.htm

http://scienceagainstevolution.org/v3i2f.htm

http://www.scienceagainstevolution.org/v6i8f.htm

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
RE: Unicorns. satyrs, cockatrices, dragons
you do realize most dinosaurs needed higher oxygen atmospheres right? they're lungs weren't as efficient as mammals so their air must be more oxygen rich.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
08-01-2011, 03:52 PM
(08-01-2011 03:37 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  you do realize most dinosaurs needed higher oxygen atmospheres right? they're lungs weren't as efficient as mammals so their air must be more oxygen rich.

I'm going to guess to guess he solves this problem by subscribing to the canopy "Theory".

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
(08-01-2011 03:52 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(08-01-2011 03:37 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  you do realize most dinosaurs needed higher oxygen atmospheres right? they're lungs weren't as efficient as mammals so their air must be more oxygen rich.

I'm going to guess to guess he solves this problem by subscribing to the canopy "Theory".

That or he'll say "there are big animals today so dinosaurs could exist Big Grin"

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
08-01-2011, 04:50 PM

(08-01-2011 11:36 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The fact that we have stories about dragons that interacted with people show that dinosaurs didn't die out as long ago as many people believe.

Also, because I made up a story about me being able to fly, I can fly.
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
http://scienceagainstevolution.org/v3i1f.htm

That site would be truthfully labeled as "Bullshit posing as science and attacking evolution in an attempt to sway people into putting more money into the church's pockets so that the greedy lying clergy can become richer and more powerful." There is absolutely no reliable science in it at all, just a lot of lies.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Awww cmon! For f**k sake! I think this guy is a troll, seriously. What's next? big foot? fairies? nessie? Godzilla? ¬¬ It is hard to believe tha someone is dumb enough to throw this blatant BS and believe thai it is unquestionable proof of something like this...

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2011, 12:14 AM

(08-01-2011 11:36 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Those who believe the Bible and those who reject it all believe in dragons. However we use a different name for them now. We call them dinosaurs. The fact that we have stories about dragons that interacted with people show that dinosaurs didn't die out as long ago as many people believe.

This could also show that people can be made to believe almost anything.

P.S. Just for your info, the early church fathers weren't young earth creationists. What makes you smarter than the guys who actually lived in the same century as Jesus?
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 02:06 AM
You know what I find hilarious? You are blaming mistranslations for all the problems, and using pseudo-science to wish the other ones away, but the bible is suppose to be the perfect, infallible word of God.
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post
09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Quote:The fact that we have stories about dragons that interacted with people show that dinosaurs didn't die out as long ago as many people believe.

What about cartoons about dinosaurs? The Flintstones came out in the 1960s so does that prove that dinosaurs lived in the 1960s?

And, answer me this: if there were dinosaurs living with man then how come in all the records we have of ancient civilizations there is not one single mention of a 4 story animal walking around? The Egyptian pyramids date back further then the Old Testament, and yet there is no record of dinosaurs. Stonehenge also dates back to that period and guess what? No mention of dinosaurs. In fact, in none of the cave drawings or ruins found in England or western Europe is there any representation of dinosaurs at all. Since this is about the time they would have had to be around, don't you find it a bit peculiar that they don't get any mention? I certainly do.

So, why do we have stories on dragons if there were no dinosaurs? And, why would both the Chinese and the English both have these stories? It certainly is a good question, but there is a reasonable explanation that does not require these things to have lived with man.

And, I suspect the reason is both China and the UK are pretty fossil rich environments and the Chinese and the medieval English would have most likely found some of these fossils in the rocks. In both locations finding exposed fossils used to be fairly common. You may be familiar with the old tongue twister "she sells sea shell by the sea shore". That is about a real person, Mary Anning, who not only sold sea shells by the English sea shore but was also a 19th century English paleontologist.

You should really come up for air and try reading some actual books based on science and evidence, maybe learn the concept of critical thinking. That would help too.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post