Unicorns show us how the bible changes through time.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
17-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Unicorns show us how the bible changes through time.
This has probably been spoken about thousands of times but I can't help but point out how the bible changes over time through it's "re-translations" and updating. Nothing shows this better than unicorns....

All of these are Isaiah 34:7

First lets start with the good old Latin Vulgate
"et descendent unicornes cum eis et tauri cum potentibus inebriabitur terra eorum sanguine et humus eorum adipe pinguium"

King James Version (KJV)...
"And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."
Still a unicorn but get ready for some REAL magic.

New International Version (NIV)
"And the wild oxen will fall with them, the bull calves and the great bulls.
Their land will be drenched with blood, and the dust will be soaked with fat."
poof unicorns are now oxen.

New Living Translation (NLT)
"Even men as strong as wild oxen will die— the young men alongside the veterans. The land will be soaked with blood and the soil enriched with fat."
unicorns are now oxen and only a metaphor.

The Message (MSG)
"A wholesale slaughter, wild animals and farm animals alike slaughtered.
The whole country soaked with blood, all the ground greasy with fat."
unicorns are now farm animals.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
"And come down have reems with them, And bullocks with bulls, And soaked hath been their land from blood, And their dust from fatness is made fat."
YLT uses a euphemism
Reem
n. 1. The Hebrew name of a horned wild animal, probably the Urus.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
"Their slain will be thrown out, and the stench of their corpses will rise; the mountains flow with their blood."
No unicorns or oxen... got rid of the animals altogether.

When Christians say the Bible is the inarrent word of God... which Bible are they reffering to? Is the Bible talking about unicorns or oxen? It is my understanding that the Hebrew Bible states unicorns (רְ אֵ מִ י) Anybody know Hebrew out there?

I know a lot of Christians do not believe that the Bible is inerrant but I wonder if they realize how much it is really changing in modern times. (we all know it was changed untold times in the past) It does not take much study to see large parts "changing" and rough parts being "smoothed out".

Anyway sorry to beat a dead unicorn but i find this stuff interesting and can't help but share....

Myst

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes myst32's post
17-06-2011, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2011 12:45 PM by Lilith Pride.)
RE: Unicorns show us how the bible changes through time.
I prefer unicorn to horned beast, it makes the story a lot cuter to discuss unicorns.

Another mythology I prefer to more credible answers mermaids to dugongs
[Image: Kokoro_mermaid.jpg] (better looking than an actual dugong =p)

This was an interesting joke from the Japanese anime series One Piece where after being saved by a mermaid the male crew members decided they had actually been saved by a dugong in order to keep their image of mermaids pristine.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
18-06-2011, 08:36 AM

(17-06-2011 12:32 PM)myst32 Wrote:  When Christians say the Bible is the inarrent word of God... which Bible are they reffering to? Is the Bible talking about unicorns or oxen? It is my understanding that the Hebrew Bible states unicorns (רְ אֵ מִ י) Anybody know Hebrew out there?
This got me curious to ask: Is there a an existing copy of the original Greek-written Bible?
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2011, 02:28 PM
There really isn't an original Greek Bible. Some of the first documents (Gospels, Epistles...) were written in Greek, but they were only later compiled into a Bible. There were actually multiple different Bibles, the Marcionites made their own with letters from Paul and the Gospel of Luke.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
18-06-2011, 11:44 PM
(18-06-2011 08:36 AM)SubmissionToScience Wrote:  This got me curious to ask: Is there a an existing copy of the original Greek-written Bible?
The short answer is no.
The Bible has two major sections. The first was written in Hebrew and is basically the same as the Tanakh used by the Jews. The second is in Greek and consists of a number of short treatises and letters written at different times and to different groups in the late first century. These writings and others circulated widely around the Mediterranean world and were gradually collected into a single book.
The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament_Canon
provides more detail if you are interested.

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice
[+] 1 user Likes pilgrim's post
21-06-2011, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2011 05:14 AM by nontheocrat.)
"I don't know what you are talking about, if the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for you!" Tongue

Sadly, I've actually heard that said in Pentecostal churches. They were most offended by more recent versions using "Holy Spirit" instead of the name "Holy Ghost" for the third part of the trinity. They claimed it removed all the "power" from the scriptures, whatever that means???

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2011, 03:09 PM
(21-06-2011 05:11 AM)nontheocrat Wrote:  "I don't know what you are talking about, if the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for you!" Tongue

Hahahahahaah LMAO

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Other interesting problems changed via "translation"....

Luke 2:33 NRS <- NRS is "true" to the oldest texts.
And the child's father and mother were amazed at what was being said about him.

Luke 2:33 NLV
Jesus' parents were amazed at what was being said about him.

Luke 2:33 KJV
And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.