Unique Moments of Realization

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 08:17 AM
So the other day as me and my wife were using our cheapo telescope and waiting on another we were talking about technology and the amazing moments of realization there must have been for the people who invented and used things.

Things we take for granted. Things we think nothing of. It's "common" with us, normal.. simple.

I was thinking of Galileo. The refractor telescope specifically.

The first time I understood what a refractor telescope was and understood something about Galileo's telescope I had a moment of realization. One of those moments that makes you think. I thought, "What must it have been like to be the person who looked up and saw moons and orbits and had a profound moment that no other person on the planet had when they understood things orbit around the sun. Moons orbit planets. They weren't the center of everything."

To be that person. To make that discovery. I cannot fathom.

What about the wheel? Could you imagine what it must have been like to look at it and scratch your head, feel so smart but so stupid having realized all along you were missing out on using it to make your life easier? To be that guy that made something so simple in our daily lives, such a profound discovery and moment.

It's why I love astronomy and cosmology. To think about, understand and sometimes see the cosmos now that we can understand it, at least to me, is something so many miss out on. To comprehend things even a little makes me genuinely happy. Puts me in a humble, simple place, even though somethings can be so complex.

What things, or tools or contributions we use regularly as the human race do you use that you often think about "what it must have been like for that person" when it was first invented?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
08-12-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: Unique Moments of Realization
(08-12-2012 08:17 AM)Logisch Wrote:  What things, or tools or contributions we use regularly as the human race do you use that you often think about "what it must have been like for that person" when it was first invented?
I'd say that the one I'm thinking of was discovered rather than invented. What I'm talking about is electricity. It must've been amazing to be able to use that powerful resource for all sorts of purposes all of the sudden.

Great thread by the way, moments in which I think about things like this give me a certain feeling of awe and wonder. It's the same feeling I have when I look up at the sky at night to see the beauty of the universe we live in. Life is truly magnificent.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
08-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Consider

Velcro

Oh! And bubble-wrap.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
The telephone. Amazing to be able to talk to someone who is on the other side of the globe...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-12-2012, 10:07 AM
The Internet! Yes

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Orgasms?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
08-12-2012, 10:39 AM
(08-12-2012 10:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Orgasms?
Consider
08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Too bad for Galileo that he was considered a lunatic and put into exile even though he made one of the most important discoveries up to that point.
[+] 1 user Likes Thiago's post
08-12-2012, 03:09 PM
It's kind of sad how many people that we now recognize for their genius were consider more or less "loonie" in their own time, Galileo among them...

And back on topic: video games. Well, a bunch of things, but that's one of my favorites. Drinking Beverage

"Life - its the fun thing that happened on the way to the cemetery."
-Poilce Officer Janson, Raid
I live in the land of Santa, fool!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes Arctic_Guy's post
08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Louis Pasteur has saved my life numerous times.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.