Unique games that most have never heard of

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Unique games that most have never heard of
I find that my favorite games are often those that aren't topping the charts, but rather the ones that most have never heard of. I tend to like the funny, cartoony, point-and -click type games, combining humor with thinking and/or strategy.

The first one I'll mention is one of my favorites to this day. It's the sequel to the NES classic "Maniac Mansion." I used to play this beast on my Windows 95 off of 3.5" disks. Very Monkey Island-esque. You play as 3 characters who are actually all in the same building, only one character is sent back 200 years in the past (a colonial setting) and another character is 200 years in the future, while the main character remains in the present. So everything you do in the past affects the present and future and you can send items through time to each other via the "Chron-O-John" time machine.

Day of the Tentacle

Next is a game called Ghost Master, where you have a bunch of ghosts of different types to command and the goal is either to scare everyone out of the house, make them go crazy, or make them discover something (like a corpse, unlocking another ghost for you). You have restrictions, like the water ghosts can only be tied to puddles or water coolers. And each person fears different things, so it's best to figure out what their fears are before just using generic abilities. Some ghosts are harmless and just rattle chains, others set the room on fire or make the walls pour blood. You can combine abilities to make different abilities, such as combining a rain and storm ghost with a wind ghost to make a typhoon, destroying houses and making it hard to walk outside.

Next is the Leisure Suit Larry series, excluding the last ones that were made without the consent of the game creator. As a perpetual horny teen, this game was perfect. There were lots of "easter eggs" you could do to see lots of pixelated nudity. It was also very funny. If you were in the mood, there was a Where's Dildo side quest, trying to spot the red and white striped dildo in each scene. If you haven't heard or played it and you're a male, I suggest LSL 6 and 7. The older ones were made in like the 80's and have the graphics to match.

Finally, there's a game by the Lionhead people (who made Black and White) called The Movies. You can either play it as if it were a Sims Theme Park type studio tycoon, or you can concentrate on the ability to make your own movies. You pick the props, outfits, actors, sets, and select different actions for the actors to do. You can even use a microphone and speak the lines for the actors.

Anyone got a favorite game I may not be aware of? I'm looking for something to play while waiting for the newest Walking Dead game episode.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2012, 12:37 AM
RE: Unique games that most have never heard of
(26-07-2012 11:50 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I find that my favorite games are often those that aren't topping the charts, but rather the ones that most have never heard of. I tend to like the funny, cartoony, point-and -click type games, combining humor with thinking and/or strategy.

The first one I'll mention is one of my favorites to this day. It's the sequel to the NES classic "Maniac Mansion." I used to play this beast on my Windows 95 off of 3.5" disks. Very Monkey Island-esque. You play as 3 characters who are actually all in the same building, only one character is sent back 200 years in the past (a colonial setting) and another character is 200 years in the future, while the main character remains in the present. So everything you do in the past affects the present and future and you can send items through time to each other via the "Chron-O-John" time machine.

Day of the Tentacle

Next is a game called Ghost Master, where you have a bunch of ghosts of different types to command and the goal is either to scare everyone out of the house, make them go crazy, or make them discover something (like a corpse, unlocking another ghost for you). You have restrictions, like the water ghosts can only be tied to puddles or water coolers. And each person fears different things, so it's best to figure out what their fears are before just using generic abilities. Some ghosts are harmless and just rattle chains, others set the room on fire or make the walls pour blood. You can combine abilities to make different abilities, such as combining a rain and storm ghost with a wind ghost to make a typhoon, destroying houses and making it hard to walk outside.

Next is the Leisure Suit Larry series, excluding the last ones that were made without the consent of the game creator. As a perpetual horny teen, this game was perfect. There were lots of "easter eggs" you could do to see lots of pixelated nudity. It was also very funny. If you were in the mood, there was a Where's Dildo side quest, trying to spot the red and white striped dildo in each scene. If you haven't heard or played it and you're a male, I suggest LSL 6 and 7. The older ones were made in like the 80's and have the graphics to match.

Finally, there's a game by the Lionhead people (who made Black and White) called The Movies. You can either play it as if it were a Sims Theme Park type studio tycoon, or you can concentrate on the ability to make your own movies. You pick the props, outfits, actors, sets, and select different actions for the actors to do. You can even use a microphone and speak the lines for the actors.

Anyone got a favorite game I may not be aware of? I'm looking for something to play while waiting for the newest Walking Dead game episode.

Well it really is not a favorite, but Princess Maker 2. Weirdest game I have ever played. You get a star born daughter when she is 9 years old and you have to raise her by making her do jobs(not related to sex). It was made in the 90s and translated to English from Japanese. Be warned.. it.... just.... is... I guess.

Under Repair.
27-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Day of the tentacle and Leisure suit Larry... Such great old games.

Do you know that Croatia also made a game and it was HUGE, won all sorts of awards, great critics, one of the hardest maniac shooters with neverending enemies and little ammo...

Serious Sam

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Serious Sam was amazing. My friend and I loved playing through that game, nothing more fun than being charged by headless exploding aliens.

A great PC game from the 90's I've played is:

Grim Fandango

I'm unaware how obscure it is, since it's technically considered one of those top games most people ought to play but they've not heard about.

The most insane game concept I ever heard of was: Urban Yeti for GBA

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I had this on the Amiga.... it was one of the few games that I bought from the shop, it came with a Diary of the main character which was awesome reading all on its own.

At the time it was pushing "acceptable" boundaries... it showed people having sex (all but briefly) and had very violent and graphic murders.

Im sure its shareware now on Dos.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2012, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2012 03:00 AM by Leela.)
Well, I didn't have a computer back then, but I had an NES.
And it had two games that came with it.
The puzzle game was about having mario-game-items like mushroom and such fall down on plates and you had to put the plates in place so when four of the same touch, they would disappear.
It seems I am not able to find out what the name of the game was, I just read like 5 lists of NES games and it is not on the lists...

The other one, fairly unknown on the SNES was Terranigma.
It has a bit of a Zelda feel to it but it also reminds a bit of RPGs.
I couldn't find a gameplay or trailer without someone babbling so here a link of someone babbling over playing it (sorry for the babbling).

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm at Uni so I don't want to go looking on youtube. Just wondering if anyone has heard of Loom and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Ancient adventure games but both really awesome.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
28-07-2012, 11:20 AM
These two games, I used to run home from school when I was 10 and play all day.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals, Skies of Arcadia,
FF CC, was the franchise's first time trying to make a real time action game. And it was a huge success with unique races, unique bosses with enitely different combat and mechanics.

SoA is a real time strategy that takes place in a steampunkish world were everyone lives on flying islands and terrain and everyone flies in flying ships. It brings in unique characters with all different forms of combat and personalities with their own backstories.

Both I feel are very underated in the fact that if you say Crystal Chronicles most people will either scratch their heads or think of the shitty sequels that crystal Chronicles had. Skies of Arcadia on the other hand, I have not met many people who ever heard of the game even though the main character Vyse plays cameos in other Sega games.
FF CC got an 80 from critics and an 8.4 from user scores on metacritic.
SoA got an 84 from critics and got a 9.6 from user scores.

Then for the playstation side, I used to play Okami a lot. That game is just so beautiful and surprise surprise, I love Valkyria Chornicles.

Okami has a 93 from critics, and a 9.3 from users
Valkyria Chornicles has an 86 from ciritcs and an 8.7 from users.

hope someone has played one of these games. I know Okami isn't exactly too unknown but most people I know have never played it.