Unitarian Universalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Unitarian Universalism
Ever been exposed to the UU?

My mother-in-law was a lifelong Catholic into her 50s, then the whole priest child-rape scandal broke and it pretty much destroyed her, had her questioning everything. She's an agnostic now, but is also one of those people who really needs to belong to something. She also has a beautiful singing voice and always sang and played organ in Catholic churches so she joined a nearby UU congregation, ostensibly to have a place to sing - she's been a member like 4 years now.

Anyway, I've been to a few events there, and we've taken our son for Xmas a couple times. I will say they do take ALL comers from all walks of life. There are married gay people, transgendered people, one polyamorous family, and even a few out and proud atheists who are not at all shunned by the others. It's kinda like the crowd gathered outside the Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight... the folks who just don't fit anywhere else, lol.

I think, this particular congregation anyway, seems to embody lots of the good stuff about churches; community, charitable activities, etc. without the Hell and Sin bullshit. And while they talk about Jesus, it's only as one of many viewpoints, they talk about Buddhism, Hinduism, and the Big Bang too.

Anyway not sure why I'm bringing this up - other than to point out they're one "church" of theists who I really don't have a problem with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 01:23 PM
RE: Unitarian Universalism
There's one of those churches in my town. I've never been, but I looked up the website to see what it is. It would be nice to have a local community. I'm curious about what they do for worship. If there's all walks of life and all different beliefs, how does worship work?

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
(03-12-2014 01:23 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  There's one of those churches in my town. I've never been, but I looked up the website to see what it is. It would be nice to have a local community. I'm curious about what they do for worship. If there's all walks of life and all different beliefs, how does worship work?

Well I've attended two Xmas services and a few charity fund-raising events so I'm far from being an expert, lol. But the Xmas services I've seen they talked about the Jesus STORY, and why people celebrate it, without throwing in two cents about whether it was true or not. They also mentioned Hanukkah, the Solstice, the end of the year in terms of the Roman calendar, and the fact that cultures across the globe have seen this time of year as a reason to come together and celebrate. So I think what they try to do is take "good stuff" like messages of love and community from any source they might find them; and truly have their doors open for anyone who wants to join.

The irony is, atheist though I am, I find it a little off-putting because they don't seem to actually BELIEVE anything, lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
03-12-2014, 01:42 PM
There was another thread about UU awhile back here that might interest you.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
03-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks Impulse - that was interesting. It confirms what my impression has been of the UU folks I've met.
03-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the thread, Mr. Boston, and thanks impulse for that link. Very fascinating.

I decided to do a bit of googling, found a church in my area. Looked at their website, and they post youtube links of the sermons. Here's the one I watched

I'm very impressed. Only one mention of god, and it was in reference to something a member had previously shared. If I was one that felt that need for community, I'd definitely be checking this place out. Might still do that if I like other sermons. I enjoyed this one, had a really good message, and he even got a little sciency in there. Even if he pronounced it amygDALA instead of aMYGdala. It's a part of the brain, not a star wars character Rolleyes

I wonder if the universal Unitarian churches could be the way to go for those in-the-closet pastors afraid of losing their only source of income because they no longer beleive.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta