Unitarian Universalism

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
30-04-2014, 05:52 PM
RE: Unitarian Universalism
Yes, though it seems a bit like a double standard.

How much could I say without offending one of them? I find interventionist and personal gods ridiculous, but I can at least entertain the thought of a deist god, even if I'm inclined to disbelieve due to the availability of simpler explanations. Einstein's God is the best one, in my personal opinion.
[/quote]

It is a little, there was more god talk than I was comfortable with (and I was far more tolerant than I am now). I didn't say, I was atheist, because at that time I wasn't. We went because Wavy Gravy was talking there.

I haven't experienced this in the church that I attend, but this type of thing probably differs from church to church based on the personalities and backgrounds of the minister and congregation.
[/quote]

Oh yes your probably right. But the one I went to was in a very liberal leaning area. But it's possible they were too hippy dippy.

It was an odd feeling of uncomfortable when I mentioned I wasn't sure if I believed in any god....it was a "oh you're one of those" the person made a face of disgust -- it wasn't a long look -- but enough. It was like you could feel a door closing.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2014, 08:56 PM
(30-04-2014 04:39 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 02:26 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  http://www.uua.org/beliefs/welcome/atheism/index.shtml

I saw this webpage while browsing the internet, and I have been toying with the idea of checking out one of their services. I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what they believe, and whether or not it is worth my time.

Has anybody on the forum had experience with this group?

One of my buddies from high school recently became a UU minister. He was raised in the church and went to a great college to study mechanical engineering - we were all surprised with his career choice. He's genuinely a sweetheart of guy: totally chill, accepting, kind, and a big advocate of LGBTQ rights and atheist acceptance.

He's my one and only data point around UU identity and culture. But, if he's at all representative of the group, I'll give them a pass. It sounds like being part of a cool, accepting community is the primary goal of any UU congregation (and any particular belief system you have is incidental).

Sound like a paradise.
30-04-2014, 11:38 PM
(29-04-2014 10:35 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 03:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I have a friend who is the pastor of a UU church, she is gay.

Thanks for the reply/information. Smile

Though, the Willy Macintosh thing is still a bit weird/odd/wrong, no?

Much cheers to all.

Dunno anything about that.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Notice that the list doesn't specifically mention Mormons as being welcome.

These UU guys are all right!

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
[+] 1 user Likes Virgo Supercluster's post
16-05-2014, 06:42 AM
I guess the only way to tell for sure is to visit one of their meetings...