Unitarian Universalist Church--any experience with them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2012, 10:15 AM
RE: Unitarian Universalist Church--any experience with them?
(19-03-2012 08:20 AM)Denicio Wrote:  My limited exposure to the Unity church was...well...odd. Its not like any traditional church i had been. I was part of this new agey hippy band (Played the Chapman Stick, Fretless bass and Didjeredoo) and our vocalist went there. We were asked to play several services, which seemed odd to my Southern Baptist sensibilities. This was along the time of me letting go of all that I'd known faith/god wise and was only interested in being human. So i watched and observed.
First thing is that of the 3 Unity churches we played, ALL 3 had women pastors (leaders). Oddity number one! The second odd thing was when they prayed, they prayed to 'father, mother god (sometimes the word EARTH was in there too).
Behind the pulpit (an underwhelming stage) was something earthy. One church had this elaborate tree carved out of wood. No where do you see Jesus. You hear him mentioned from time to time, but nothing too heavy.

Another poster really nailed it. It seems like a loosy goosy collective of ex hippies that want to gather and be spiritual. I will say all the people at all the Unitarian Churches are KING! THESE are what the casual Christian would call "Christ like". These people thrive on doing good, being good, expressing good...and without some dogma or this 'hey look at me, i love JC' type of attention. These people were kind in such a way that it alarmed me. No gossip circles. EVERYONE listens (not waiting their turn to talk). No dogmatic preaching, no hang ups on sex, just good people fellowshipping. I chalked it up to group meditation.

I DONT go to church. If i had to...it would most certainly be a place like the Unitarians.

If i were still a Southern Baptist, i'd say that the Unitarian Church's were of the devil and were borderline witchcraft and FULL on New Age and going to such a place would damage your fai.

D

Nice Smile

Just be sure to note that "Unity" churches are not the same as "Unitarian Universalist"....so now I'm not sure which you went to, since both are quite liberal... Big Grin

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2012, 10:41 AM

(19-03-2012 10:15 AM)ValerieAnn1975 Wrote:  
(19-03-2012 08:20 AM)Denicio Wrote:  My limited exposure to the Unity church was...well...odd. Its not like any traditional church i had been. I was part of this new agey hippy band (Played the Chapman Stick, Fretless bass and Didjeredoo) and our vocalist went there. We were asked to play several services, which seemed odd to my Southern Baptist sensibilities. This was along the time of me letting go of all that I'd known faith/god wise and was only interested in being human. So i watched and observed.
First thing is that of the 3 Unity churches we played, ALL 3 had women pastors (leaders). Oddity number one! The second odd thing was when they prayed, they prayed to 'father, mother god (sometimes the word EARTH was in there too).
Behind the pulpit (an underwhelming stage) was something earthy. One church had this elaborate tree carved out of wood. No where do you see Jesus. You hear him mentioned from time to time, but nothing too heavy.

Another poster really nailed it. It seems like a loosy goosy collective of ex hippies that want to gather and be spiritual. I will say all the people at all the Unitarian Churches are KING! THESE are what the casual Christian would call "Christ like". These people thrive on doing good, being good, expressing good...and without some dogma or this 'hey look at me, i love JC' type of attention. These people were kind in such a way that it alarmed me. No gossip circles. EVERYONE listens (not waiting their turn to talk). No dogmatic preaching, no hang ups on sex, just good people fellowshipping. I chalked it up to group meditation.

I DONT go to church. If i had to...it would most certainly be a place like the Unitarians.

If i were still a Southern Baptist, i'd say that the Unitarian Church's were of the devil and were borderline witchcraft and FULL on New Age and going to such a place would damage your fai.

D

Nice Smile

Just be sure to note that "Unity" churches are not the same as "Unitarian Universalist"....so now I'm not sure which you went to, since both are quite liberal... Big Grin

Oh, you know i had no idea they were different. I thought they were the same just used different lingo to identify themselves.
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Just don't piss them off...
or they'll leave a burning question mark in your front yard.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Another perk of being a UU is when someone asks you to go to their church, you can say you already have one Big Grin

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com