United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 02:58 PM
United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/busin....html?_r=0

Quote:A man on an overbooked United Airlines flight was forcibly removed from his seat and dragged through the aisle on Sunday, and video of the anguished protests by him and other passengers spread rapidly on Monday as people criticized the airline’s tactics.

That had to be about the worst way to handle the situation possible.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
10-04-2017, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 03:37 PM by Rockblossom.)
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(10-04-2017 02:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/busin....html?_r=0

Quote:A man on an overbooked United Airlines flight was forcibly removed from his seat and dragged through the aisle on Sunday, and video of the anguished protests by him and other passengers spread rapidly on Monday as people criticized the airline’s tactics.

That had to be about the worst way to handle the situation possible.

And the passenger in question is a 69-year-old Asian medical doctor who was heading home to see a patient the next morning. And he fell as they dragged him and smashed his face, so they had to take him to a hospital. This is certainly a new twist to the airplane emergency meme: "Is there a Doctor on board?"

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
10-04-2017, 03:37 PM
AAP (Australian Associated Press) reported in part...

[T]he man who was removed from the plane returned, looking dazed and saying he had to get home... Officers followed him to the back of the plane. Another man travelling with high school students stood up at that point and said they were getting off the plane... About half of the passengers followed before United told everyone to get off...

The man who was originally dragged down the aisle was removed from the plane again, and United employees made an announcement saying they had to "tidy up" the aircraft... After a three-hour delay the flight took off without the man aboard.

—What a mindless fuck-up by UA. And a waste of police resources and the other passengers' time. The logical thing to do was to work their way through the passenger manifest until they found four people more than happy to take the $400 and disembark. I also wonder if there was a subtle racist thing going on, as the guy was of Asian origin?

I can only hope the guy sues UA for assault, medical expenses, and mental distress.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
10-04-2017, 03:42 PM
What I can't believe is that he was on the plane!

Usually if they do those shenanigans it's before they allow anyone to board.

This isn't a small fuck up, it's a huge litany of errors.

I'm also tired of the over-booking crap.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Obviously the infrastructure appropriation coming up needs to have a sizable allocation for teleportation R&D
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
10-04-2017, 04:20 PM
(10-04-2017 03:37 PM)SYZ Wrote:  The logical thing to do was to work their way through the passenger manifest until they found four people more than happy to take the $400 and disembark.

I saw the videos and was incensed.

UA just kept compounding their mistakes. Sometimes people have to be somewhere else for a good many reasons and no amount of money will suffice, personal events such as weddings, funerals, vacations, connecting flights and the like. Business reasons such as important meetings, deals, closings and patients (as in this case). The list is endless as to why a passenger would not take money for giving up their seat.

Sometimes it may take more than $400, one article says UA bumped up the offer to $800 and still no takers. They should have kept upping the dollar amount until four people willingly accepted even if it cost the airlines thousands of dollars. That would have avoided this clusterfuck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-04-2017, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 04:27 PM by Loom.)
I hope he sues the living shit out of them.

Also...refusing to volunteer to give up his seat? The hell do they think volunteering is?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
10-04-2017, 04:30 PM
(10-04-2017 03:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  What I can't believe is that he was on the plane!

Usually if they do those shenanigans it's before they allow anyone to board.

This isn't a small fuck up, it's a huge litany of errors.

I'm also tired of the over-booking crap.

I used United a LOT when I was travelling for work and have stories to tell. They are horrible with overbooking! And losing luggage. I got to know a taxi driver well, who was paid $200 per delivery of my luggage once I was home again.

I spent many an evening washing underwear in the Hotel sink and freaking blow drying it in the morning because it wasn't dry. I got to be a super expert in squishing a weeks worth of outfits in my carry-on. Cause I would never see my checked luggage again until the taxi driver delivered it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
10-04-2017, 04:47 PM
I don't know where the rest of America grew up but, uh, the police came. When the police tell you to do something and you refuse, they force you. I get next to no support promoting anarchism but when you see a video of the police actually enforcing a law it's an outrage. What do you think force looks like?
10-04-2017, 05:06 PM
(10-04-2017 04:47 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I don't know where the rest of America grew up but, uh, the police came. When the police tell you to do something and you refuse, they force you. I get next to no support promoting anarchism but when you see a video of the police actually enforcing a law it's an outrage. What do you think force looks like?

Guy bought his plane ticket, he belonged there. They only wanted him to move so an employee could sit, instead of figuring out something else for the employee, they forced the guy out of HIS seat with unnecessary force. They were not enforcing any laws. I am hazarding a guess that you did not read the actual story.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 5 users Like JDog554's post