United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 12:18 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
Over 20,000 sign #ChineseLivesMatter petition for Vietnamese-American man dragged off United flight

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
(11-04-2017 12:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  For everyone against overbooking, I suppose the next question is in regards to whether or not you're willing to pay higher prices should the practice come under enough scrutiny that it ends up falling out of fashion.

I get the overbooking thing. From earlier they said the flight was overbooked by ONE person. And they had a volunteer to decided to take the money and take a different flight early on...

These four seats were for cabin crew needed for another flight at the destination.

This wasn't simply a case of simple overbooking.

They could have upped the offer from $800 bucks to $1000 they could have offered upgrades to first or business class on the next flight. They could have offered hotel vouchers (plus money) if the next flight wasn't until the next day.

They could have simply refused the last four people to get on the plane. From what other passengers said, they allowed a few people to arrive late that weren't those cabin crew individuals.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-04-2017, 12:22 PM
(11-04-2017 12:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  For everyone against overbooking, I suppose the next question is in regards to whether or not you're willing to pay higher prices should the practice come under enough scrutiny that it ends up falling out of fashion.

I get the overbooking thing. From earlier they said the flight was overbooked by ONE person. And they had a volunteer to decided to take the money and take a different flight early on...

These four seats were for cabin crew needed for another flight at the destination.

This wasn't simply a case of simple overbooking.

They could have upped the offer from $800 bucks to $1000 they could have offered upgrades to first or business class on the next flight. They could have offered hotel vouchers (plus money) if the next flight wasn't until the next day.

They could have simply refused the last four people to get on the plane. From what other passengers said, they allowed a few people to arrive late that weren't those cabin crew individuals.

In this specific incident I agree completely. I'm referring more to the sudden outpouring of people complaining about the practice in general.

'Murican Canadian
11-04-2017, 12:28 PM
I just thought the #chineselivesmatter thing was funny because I'm a cynical bastard. I wish people would focus on the actual problem instead of soiling it with baseless perceived injustices. This was about their piss poor management of the situation. The fact that he was Asian was coincidental.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
11-04-2017, 12:33 PM

I'd be OK with fees for rescheduling/cancelling being raised, especially close to the flight date. I'd be OK with standby tickets so that people buying them know that the flight is already sold out and they are queued for an opening. I might even be OK with higher fares that remove the uncertainty but I think there are changes that could mitigate that necessity.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-04-2017, 12:35 PM
(11-04-2017 12:28 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I just thought the #chineselivesmatter thing was funny because I'm a cynical bastard. I wish people would focus on the actual problem instead of soiling it with baseless perceived injustices. This was about their piss poor management of the situation. The fact that he was Asian was coincidental.

In the reports I've seen, it's not clear whether he's Vietnamese or Chinese (reportedly, he claimed to be Chinese during the incident). I find the #chineselivesmatter thing hilarious if he really is Vietnamese. All of those Southeast Asians look alike, you know.

Personally, I would feel the same about this incident no matter what race or nationality the victim is.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
11-04-2017, 12:37 PM

If someone is a no show for the flight they already booked, the airline is keeping the money anyway. So let's look at overbooking realistically. It's making an additional dime by selling more seats than there actually are on the plane.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
11-04-2017, 12:44 PM
(11-04-2017 12:37 PM)abaris Wrote:  

If someone is a no show for the flight they already booked, the airline is keeping the money anyway. So let's look at overbooking realistically. It's making an additional dime by selling more seats than there actually are on the plane.

Which allows them to sell at a lower profit margin per ticket. I'm not saying it is or isn't right, only that if they adopt a standard that results in less tickets per flight being available, and more seats being empty on the average flight, supply will decrease relative to demand.

'Murican Canadian
11-04-2017, 12:56 PM
(11-04-2017 12:37 PM)abaris Wrote:  If someone is a no show for the flight they already booked, the airline is keeping the money anyway. So let's look at overbooking realistically. It's making an additional dime by selling more seats than there actually are on the plane.

Hmmm... I didn't realize that. I thought it worked like rescheduling ahead of time and you just needed to pay an extra fee to re-book on another flight. Searching around it looks like that isn't the case... and here I didn't think I could hate airlines any more than I already did.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-04-2017, 01:33 PM
(11-04-2017 12:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Which allows them to sell at a lower profit margin per ticket. I'm not saying it is or isn't right, only that if they adopt a standard that results in less tickets per flight being available, and more seats being empty on the average flight, supply will decrease relative to demand.

Realistically 300 to 900 dollars per flight. You really think this kind of money makes or breaks their profit margin? If everyone shows up, they have to reimburse the spares anyway. A night at a Hotel and a refund. That's not what makes them that more competitive. It's just a gamble at changing a few dimes in hopes of not everybody actually taking the flight.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]