United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 05:30 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(11-04-2017 04:39 PM)ImFred Wrote:  This guy isn't going to get a fucking penny. He'll be lucky to avoid a resisting arrest charge. And if United's stock bounce a day or two they don't give two fucks. Did they get boycotted today or did everyone just go wherever they were going? Thought so.

He is going to get money. Even if United settle to prevent this from getting any worse if that is at all possible.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 05:31 PM
(11-04-2017 12:37 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  For everyone against overbooking, I suppose the next question is in regards to whether or not you're willing to pay higher prices should the practice come under enough scrutiny that it ends up falling out of fashion.

If someone is a no show for the flight they already booked, the airline is keeping the money anyway. So let's look at overbooking realistically. It's making an additional dime by selling more seats than there actually are on the plane.

How is that not a half-assed pyramid scheme?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
11-04-2017, 05:38 PM
(11-04-2017 01:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I would be, sure. When I need to get somewhere at a given time, deliver of promised services matters.

I understand the economics of ensuring that planes take off at maximum load. I'll pay for the assurance that I will be where I need to be when I need to be there. Overbooking is horseshit because even if seven passengers don't show up and the plane takes off a little light, those passengers have already paid for their tickets, and that payment is not refundable under most circumstances -- so the airline already has that money, and the flight is actually a little cheaper to do (not much cheaper, admittedly) because the plane is carrying a couple thousand pounds less in people and baggage.

That certainly makes sense while we're sitting here. But, realistically, your average customer just goes to some random discount tickets site and gets the one that's $2 cheaper.

So what? That doesn't address my point at all. The airline owns the seats, literally. Selling what you don't actually own is, in any other business, either criminal fraud, or base chicanery. So is selling the same thing twice (remember, the airline doesn't know who isn't going to show up until the folk don't show up).

In neither case is it good business sense. If a third-party site is willing to eat two bucks on their margin in order to get sales, that's their business. But if I own two hundred seats and sell tickets for two hundred and ten, what I am doing is planning for the occasional bumpy ride.

In short, to answer your point, I'd pay two dollars more at the airline's own website to ensure I get where i need to be when I need to be there.

I'm not sure that would actually save me any grief, but whatever.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-04-2017, 05:48 PM
(11-04-2017 12:37 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  For everyone against overbooking, I suppose the next question is in regards to whether or not you're willing to pay higher prices should the practice come under enough scrutiny that it ends up falling out of fashion.

If someone is a no show for the flight they already booked, the airline is keeping the money anyway. So let's look at overbooking realistically. It's making an additional dime by selling more seats than there actually are on the plane.

Can someone explain to me where this extra dime is coming from by selling the ticket? Sounds like some sorta Office Space rounding to the nearest penny shenanigans.

#sigh
11-04-2017, 05:51 PM
(11-04-2017 12:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:37 PM)abaris Wrote:  If someone is a no show for the flight they already booked, the airline is keeping the money anyway. So let's look at overbooking realistically. It's making an additional dime by selling more seats than there actually are on the plane.

Which allows them to sell at a lower profit margin per ticket. I'm not saying it is or isn't right, only that if they adopt a standard that results in less tickets per flight being available, and more seats being empty on the average flight, supply will decrease relative to demand.

Actually, the overbooked sale is 100% margin so long as the stats hold true. The first buyer who doesn't show up already has paid the COGS and the margin; the second one who actually flies, the money he gave is pure profit from the airlines' perspective.

If they actually passed this along to the customer, you might have a point. No-shows don't allow them to sell at lower rates; no-shows allow them to pocket two sales for one seat.
11-04-2017, 05:52 PM
United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
I would have tied the seatbelt in a tight knot. They would have to cut the fucker off.
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
11-04-2017, 05:56 PM
(11-04-2017 05:04 PM)SYZ Wrote:  The removalist thugs weren't "police" in the normal sense. They were security guards employed by the Chicago Aviation Department (and who don't have the same legal powers of arrest as state police). And it is a "major outrage" to the extent that United's share price has dropped overnight as a result, and it's likely that many Chinese nationals will now boycott their service—130 million of 'em have already viewed the Twitter footage.

The guy dragging the passenger backwards by his arms has been stood down by United, and hopefully he'll be sacked.

The City of Chicago Aviation Authority police officers are swore police officers. They attend the same police academy, receive the same training and certifications regular city of Chicago police do. This includes firearms training and annual firearms certifications even though they are unarmed. They also have the same authority to arrest someone as a regular city of Chicago police officer. That authority may be limited to aviation authority property though. I'm not sure about that part.

The guy dragging the passenger backwards has not been stood down by United. He doesn't work for United. He works for the city of Chicago aviation authority as a sworn police officer. United has no authority over him. He was suspended by the city of Chicago airport authority pending investigation into his actions during this event.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
11-04-2017, 05:56 PM
(11-04-2017 05:52 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I would have tied the seatbelt in a tight knot. They would have to cut the fucker off.

Wrap the cord on the "we all gonna die" mask around your neck so that it chokes you if they pull you from the seat.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 05:57 PM
(11-04-2017 05:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Can someone explain to me where this extra dime is coming from by selling the ticket?

Yes, I can. Flight 237 from DFW to JFK has 240 seats. American sells 250 tickets for that flight.

Coincidentally, ten people get sick, or have their vacations cancelled, or has Gramma Rosie die in her sleep, and now those ten extra tickets sold get used. But the cancellations are not refunded their fares for not having traveled; they're told "tough titty" and sent packing as the airline pockets that money.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-04-2017, 06:00 PM
(11-04-2017 05:30 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 04:39 PM)ImFred Wrote:  This guy isn't going to get a fucking penny. He'll be lucky to avoid a resisting arrest charge. And if United's stock bounce a day or two they don't give two fucks. Did they get boycotted today or did everyone just go wherever they were going? Thought so.

He is going to get money. Even if United settle to prevent this from getting any worse if that is at all possible.

He'll get about 1/2 to a million. A doctor. They need to PAY to make this go away, right quick. (There are reports he's had an MI ... if he dies, it's multimillions).

"United - we put the hospital in hospitality."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.