United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 06:00 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(11-04-2017 05:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Can someone explain to me where this extra dime is coming from by selling the ticket?

Yes, I can. Flight 237 from DFW to JFK has 240 seats. American sells 250 tickets for that flight.

Coincidentally, ten people get sick, or have their vacations cancelled, or has Gramma Rosie die in her sleep, and now those ten extra tickets sold get used. But the cancellations are not refunded their fares for not having traveled; they're told "tough titty" and sent packing as the airline pockets that money.

Yeah, but that's not a dime. That's more like big bucks. They must have statisticians and ops research folk that determine the optimal balance between having to pay the bumpees and having empty seats.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 06:01 PM
The practice of overbooking is a bit of a red herring here anyway. They were trying to clear 4 seats so that they could give them to United employees that needed to get wherever the plane was headed. Overbooking is one thing, but screwing over paying passengers because of what looks like poor planning is not reasonable in my opinion. Forcing a passenger was has already boarded to exit the plane goes way over the line as far as I'm concerned.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
11-04-2017, 06:07 PM
(11-04-2017 05:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Can someone explain to me where this extra dime is coming from by selling the ticket?

Yes, I can. Flight 237 from DFW to JFK has 240 seats. American sells 250 tickets for that flight.

Coincidentally, ten people get sick, or have their vacations cancelled, or has Gramma Rosie die in her sleep, and now those ten extra tickets sold get used. But the cancellations are not refunded their fares for not having traveled; they're told "tough titty" and sent packing as the airline pockets that money.

Pretty much anyone who buys a plane ticket can purchase a refundable ticket. Most people don't because a refundable ticket costs more.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
11-04-2017, 06:08 PM
(10-04-2017 09:00 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I bet if this video was 5 minutes longer everyone would be cheering.

Nobody on the plane was cheering. Nothing like a live show to get a real perspective.

I hate to point this out but it looks like your reps just got a busted lip and dragged out too. Don't worry bro, I got it on my iPhone.
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
11-04-2017, 06:10 PM
(10-04-2017 09:01 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:48 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Ya know I almost wish you would be put in a situation like this to find out how much of a drama queen he was being.

I've gotten my ass beat before.

Probably been hung from a coat hook by your tightey whiteys too I'd bet.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 06:11 PM
That's cold Girly.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
11-04-2017, 06:13 PM
(11-04-2017 06:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  The practice of overbooking is a bit of a red herring here anyway. They were trying to clear 4 seats so that they could give them to United employees that needed to get wherever the plane was headed. Overbooking is one thing, but screwing over paying passengers because of what looks like poor planning is not reasonable in my opinion. Forcing a passenger was has already boarded to exit the plane goes way over the line as far as I'm concerned.

It was more likely a canceled flight driving the need to get the new crew to the destination airport than poor planning. If that flight crew hadn't made this flight an entire flight would have been canceled the next day because there wouldn't have been a crew to fly it. 240 people would have been inconvenienced instead of 4.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
11-04-2017, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 06:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-04-2017 06:13 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 06:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  The practice of overbooking is a bit of a red herring here anyway. They were trying to clear 4 seats so that they could give them to United employees that needed to get wherever the plane was headed. Overbooking is one thing, but screwing over paying passengers because of what looks like poor planning is not reasonable in my opinion. Forcing a passenger was has already boarded to exit the plane goes way over the line as far as I'm concerned.

It was more likely a canceled flight driving the need to get the new crew to the destination airport than poor planning. If that flight crew hadn't made this flight an entire flight would have been canceled the next day because there wouldn't have been a crew to fly it. 240 people would have been inconvenienced instead of 4.

As it turned out they could have driven there quicker. Should be easy enough to check if the plane they were in a hurry to catch was impacted or delayed because of their tardiness.

11-04-2017, 06:19 PM
(11-04-2017 06:13 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  It was more likely a canceled flight driving the need to get the new crew to the destination airport than poor planning. If that flight crew hadn't made this flight an entire flight would have been canceled the next day because there wouldn't have been a crew to fly it. 240 people would have been inconvenienced instead of 4.

Understood, but I'm assuming they knew before they allowed all the ticketed passengers to board and then decided to kick 4 off. That's still poor planning. If I'm wrong about that then I withdraw the "poor planning" but maintain that they still should not have forced passengers that had already boarded to get off for this reason. If there was no other way to get the staff there in time they should have kept upping the bribe even if they lost money on the flight.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-04-2017, 06:22 PM
(11-04-2017 06:13 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  

But as you mentioned it was a for a flight the next day. Do we know which flight would have been impacted and how many people that plane carried? I haven't read that bit of news. Whole flights are cancelled for all sorts of reasons...Even if they had to reassign all those passengers would that added up to all the money they've already lost in this PR disaster? What about their future earnings?

Also it was four people on a flight crew. United could have easily had them take other flights or even chartered a flight for them. Much cheaper than this mess. I"m pretty confident that even a chartered flight wouldn't have cost them 250 million dollars.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces