United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 06:23 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(11-04-2017 06:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 06:13 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  It was more likely a canceled flight driving the need to get the new crew to the destination airport than poor planning. If that flight crew hadn't made this flight an entire flight would have been canceled the next day because there wouldn't have been a crew to fly it. 240 people would have been inconvenienced instead of 4.

Understood, but I'm assuming they knew before they allowed all the ticketed passengers to board and then decided to kick 4 off. That's still poor planning. If I'm wrong about that then I withdraw the "poor planning" but maintain that they still should not have forced passengers that had already boarded to get off for this reason. If there was no other way to get the staff there in time they should have kept upping the bribe even if they lost money on the flight.

Possibly not since I understand that the flight crew in question wasn't a United crew. Code shared maybe but not United.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 06:26 PM
(11-04-2017 06:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:30 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  He is going to get money. Even if United settle to prevent this from getting any worse if that is at all possible.

He'll get about 1/2 to a million. A doctor. They need to PAY to make this go away, right quick. (There are reports he's had an MI ... if he dies, it's multimillions).

"United - we put the hospital in hospitality."

What is an "MI"?
11-04-2017, 06:28 PM
(11-04-2017 06:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 06:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He'll get about 1/2 to a million. A doctor. They need to PAY to make this go away, right quick. (There are reports he's had an MI ... if he dies, it's multimillions).

What is an "MI"?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 06:29 PM
(11-04-2017 06:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He'll get about 1/2 to a million. A doctor. They need to PAY to make this go away, right quick. (There are reports he's had an MI ... if he dies, it's multimillions).

What is an "MI"?

Heart attack.

OMG I hadn't heard that...only that he was hospitalized. Oh fuck. Gasp

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-04-2017, 06:40 PM

What is an "MI"?

Myocardial infarct

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Turns the flight was not overbooked

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...100317166/

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
11-04-2017, 06:46 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 06:54 PM)cactus Wrote:  This just reaffirmed my decision to go on a road trip this summer instead of flying. We can stop whenever, wherever we want, play our music as loud as we want, and not have to deal with any airport security bullshit.

You don't have to give up flying to do that, just give up flying on airplanes you don't fly yourself. Getting a pilot's license is NOT outlandishly beyond reach. Cool

HELL yeah! I got 7 million Pepsi points, and e'erthang! Wink

11-04-2017, 07:10 PM
(11-04-2017 05:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Which allows them to sell at a lower profit margin per ticket. I'm not saying it is or isn't right, only that if they adopt a standard that results in less tickets per flight being available, and more seats being empty on the average flight, supply will decrease relative to demand.

Actually, the overbooked sale is 100% margin so long as the stats hold true. The first buyer who doesn't show up already has paid the COGS and the margin; the second one who actually flies, the money he gave is pure profit from the airlines' perspective.

If they actually passed this along to the customer, you might have a point. No-shows don't allow them to sell at lower rates; no-shows allow them to pocket two sales for one seat.

In the end it isn't about one source of revenue being defined as profit and one not being define as profit. It's about creating policy based on predictable statistics with the end result being a ticket price that will allow the company to both make profit and remain competitive. All sources of revenue and all expenditures are part of that equation. If the practice is not illegal (whether or not it should be is a different conversation), and the customers accept that practice as shown by where they choose to spend their hard earned dollars, then it would be irrational not to put that practice to use.

I'm not trying to argue that it's ethical. Only that it's a predictable enough way to generate revenue that all airlines do it and that the thriftiness / greed of the consumer is at least as relevant as that of the cliche evil corporation.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
11-04-2017, 07:13 PM
(10-04-2017 08:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I said it earlier and I'll say it again...the CEO of Pepsi should be sending United airlines flowers for replacing their shenanigans on social media.

[img][Image: 29fz437.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
11-04-2017, 07:15 PM
(11-04-2017 07:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I said it earlier and I'll say it again...the CEO of Pepsi should be sending United airlines flowers for replacing their shenanigans on social media.

[img][Image: 29fz437.jpg][/img]

I must've missed the Pepsi thing. Whatever it was Pepsi is no doubt thrilled about that.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post