United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 10:11 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(11-04-2017 09:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 09:43 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Shouldn't matter or doesn't matter?

A doctor exploiting drug addiction for sexual favors suggests a moral flaw. That he has a huge online poker account suggests he's way better than average at exploiting an opportunity. I wonder what how he thought refusing to give up his seat even after the police arrived would pan out. I wonder if United can afford lawyers who can piece this together and rewrite the popular narrative. Maybe I am an asshole. Maybe it takes one to know one and I saw it on this quack right from the first banshee screech.

This is what is known as victim blaming and is done by assholes and thugs.

Wow. Take a contrary position around here and the names sure fly!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 10:12 PM
(11-04-2017 10:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 09:56 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Fred, do you work for United Airlines or the Chicago PD? I only ask because it is precisely this sort of tone-deaf imbecility that they're demonstrating in spades.

Not only will this guy get a huge settlement, it will also be settled quietly. Neither United nor the police want the litany of their bungling paraded through the courts and across headines and social media for weeks or months. His lawyer will know this and can leverage it for a very fat pay-out.

It'll happen quick too. This week if I had to guess. Before cable news can line up interviews.

Big fat paycheck with an even bigger NDA.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-04-2017, 10:16 PM
(11-04-2017 10:11 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 09:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is what is known as victim blaming and is done by assholes and thugs.

Wow. Take a contrary position around here and the names sure fly!

It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't being contrary just to be a jerk. Again, I thought you were better than those trollish shenanigans.

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Suppose Rosa Parks should have given up her seat too huh ImFred?

Different situations obviously but the principle's the same.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
12-04-2017, 02:27 AM
(11-04-2017 06:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yes, I can. Flight 237 from DFW to JFK has 240 seats. American sells 250 tickets for that flight.

Coincidentally, ten people get sick, or have their vacations cancelled, or has Gramma Rosie die in her sleep, and now those ten extra tickets sold get used. But the cancellations are not refunded their fares for not having traveled; they're told "tough titty" and sent packing as the airline pockets that money.

Yeah, but that's not a dime. That's more like big bucks. They must have statisticians and ops research folk that determine the optimal balance between having to pay the bumpees and having empty seats.

Of course, my girly man. They've obviously decided that it's better to piss off ten people than to fly a plane with ten empty seats.

Thing is, those empty seats are still paid-for, and the cost-of-service is actually lower for the plane being light 1800 lbs of flesh and another, oh, 600 lbs of baggage.

Figuring a rough guess of $300 per ticket, is that extra three large worth pissing off enough people? Heretofore the answer has clearly be "yes, yes it is".

My bet is that a change is gonna come. Score one for the Internet.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-04-2017, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 02:38 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(11-04-2017 06:07 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Pretty much anyone who buys a plane ticket can purchase a refundable ticket. Most people don't because a refundable ticket costs more.

[Emphasis added, and added by myself below as well -- Thump]

Quote:Under our 24-hour flexible booking policy, if your ticket was purchased through United in the last 24 hours and you completed your purchase one week or more before the original scheduled departure flight, it may qualify for waiver of change or cancellation fees. Basic Economy tickets are not eligible for changes, but are eligible for a full refund inside 24 hours of booking as long as you completed your purchase one week or more before the original scheduled departure flight.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content...efund.aspx

Clearly, this policy is only applicable outside the airport, and not available to the vast majority of fliers.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-04-2017, 02:49 AM
(11-04-2017 07:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Actually, the overbooked sale is 100% margin so long as the stats hold true. The first buyer who doesn't show up already has paid the COGS and the margin; the second one who actually flies, the money he gave is pure profit from the airlines' perspective.

If they actually passed this along to the customer, you might have a point. No-shows don't allow them to sell at lower rates; no-shows allow them to pocket two sales for one seat.

In the end it isn't about one source of revenue being defined as profit and one not being define as profit. It's about creating policy based on predictable statistics with the end result being a ticket price that will allow the company to both make profit and remain competitive. All sources of revenue and all expenditures are part of that equation. If the practice is not illegal (whether or not it should be is a different conversation), and the customers accept that practice as shown by where they choose to spend their hard earned dollars, then it would be irrational not to put that practice to use.

I'm not trying to argue that it's ethical. Only that it's a predictable enough way to generate revenue that all airlines do it and that the thriftiness / greed of the consumer is at least as relevant as that of the cliche evil corporation.

That's the difference between us: I'm arguing that overbooking is unethical.

If I have five apples and I sell an apple apiece to seven customers on the presumption that two won't show up to collect their fruit, am I right? And what if you show up at my fruit stand hungry, having paid for an apple? Would you be satisfied with me telling you you'll have to wait until next season?

Neither legality nor practicality sanction the ethics of a decision. Don't sell what you don't have.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-04-2017, 03:06 AM
(11-04-2017 09:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There has been a fair amount of blame placed on drinking for jerk behavior. Makes me wonder if Fred is drinking again, off on a dry drunk, or is just a jerk who used booze as an excuse for naturally asshole behavior.

Maybe you should stick to taking your own inventory. Just a thought.
12-04-2017, 03:21 AM
(12-04-2017 02:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  That's the difference between us: I'm arguing that overbooking is unethical.

If I have five apples and I sell an apple apiece to seven customers on the presumption that two won't show up to collect their fruit, am I right? And what if you show up at my fruit stand hungry, having paid for an apple? Would you be satisfied with me telling you you'll have to wait until next season?

Neither legality nor practicality sanction the ethics of a decision. Don't sell what you don't have.

That's an interesting question. What about preorders of say a case of wine from a particular vintner and because of weather or mold or whatever they don't get the yield they expected or perhaps none at all. Is that situation any different? In both cases you assume a known risk and as long as your money's refunded in both cases, are they different?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 03:32 AM
(12-04-2017 03:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's an interesting question. What about preorders of say a case of wine from a particular vintner and because of weather or mold or whatever they don't get the yield they expected or perhaps none at all. Is that situation any different? In both cases you assume a known risk and as long as your money's refunded in both cases, are they different?

You know you're taking a risk with your above example, since it's dependent on outside influences. The plane on the other hand is there, flying it's predetermined route. You buy a ticket and don't assume that to be kind of a lottery or risky in any shape or form.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post