United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 04:03 AM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(12-04-2017 03:32 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's an interesting question. What about preorders of say a case of wine from a particular vintner and because of weather or mold or whatever they don't get the yield they expected or perhaps none at all. Is that situation any different? In both cases you assume a known risk and as long as your money's refunded in both cases, are they different?

You know you're taking a risk with your above example, since it's dependent on outside influences. The plane on the other hand is there, flying it's predetermined route. You buy a ticket and don't assume that to be kind of a lottery or risky in any shape or form.

Sure I do. I am just as aware when I purchase that ticket I may be bumped by outside influences as I am that the grapes may not grow.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2017, 04:24 AM
Speaking of trolls... all of you who are against the surveillance state how do you feel about the state of surveillance? Blink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2017, 04:28 AM
(12-04-2017 04:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Speaking of trolls... all of you who are against the surveillance state how do you feel about the state of surveillance? Blink

It is advancing at a rate where the phrase "surveillance state" will be devoid of any meaning soon, very soon. The concept of privacy will be limited to basic bodily functions. Until we don't need those anymore.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-04-2017, 04:49 AM
(12-04-2017 04:03 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Sure I do. I am just as aware when I purchase that ticket I may be bumped by outside influences as I am that the grapes may not grow.

Outside influences as in the plane breaking down or crashing before you are able to board. Not as in greedy corporatists pressing out the last dime by selling more than what's available. There's the difference. You can't compare weather conditions to someone making a conscious decision to hold out their hands, the gimme money way.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
12-04-2017, 04:56 AM
(12-04-2017 04:49 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:03 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Sure I do. I am just as aware when I purchase that ticket I may be bumped by outside influences as I am that the grapes may not grow.

Outside influences as in the plane breaking down or crashing before you are able to board. Not as in greedy corporatists pressing out the last dime by selling more than what's available. There's the difference. You can't compare weather conditions to someone making a conscious decision to hold out their hands, the gimme money way.

That's a good point. What if the vintner pre-sold more than he knew he could possibly grow. That seems pretty unethical.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 07:06 AM
(12-04-2017 04:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's a good point. What if the vintner pre-sold more than he knew he could possibly grow. That seems pretty unethical.

Apples and oranges, since the product you're talking about here doesn't even exist yet, whereas the plane is there, having a certain capacity to be sold at a certain time.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
12-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Empty seats are wasteful. It's for the environment.

[Image: 1-tree-hugger-www-trehuggerplz-deviantart-com-i.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
12-04-2017, 09:44 AM
[Image: 7yFu4M6.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
12-04-2017, 12:15 PM
(12-04-2017 07:16 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Empty seats are wasteful. It's for the environment.

Another excellent point. Big Grin

12-04-2017, 12:17 PM
(12-04-2017 07:06 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's a good point. What if the vintner pre-sold more than he knew he could possibly grow. That seems pretty unethical.

Apples and oranges, since the product you're talking about here doesn't even exist yet, whereas the plane is there, having a certain capacity to be sold at a certain time.

So you're saying deliberately overselling pre-orders on my wine yield would not be unethical but airline overbooking is? I'm missing your point.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post