United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(12-04-2017 12:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 07:06 AM)abaris Wrote:  Apples and oranges, since the product you're talking about here doesn't even exist yet, whereas the plane is there, having a certain capacity to be sold at a certain time.

So you're saying deliberately overselling pre-orders on my wine yield would not be unethical but airline overbooking is? I'm missing your point.

But then you'd also have to offer a refund once the wine was ready to be shipped. You can't just say ha-ha and keep the money or make the customer wait until next year.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2017, 12:38 PM
(12-04-2017 12:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So you're saying deliberately overselling pre-orders on my wine yield would not be unethical but airline overbooking is? I'm missing your point.

No, I made myself pretty clear right from the start. Your example is totally irrelevant. That doesn't change if you move the goal posts.

If you mean to say that outside influences in a project can crash investments, you got a point. But I'm sure you see the fundamental difference between an investment in a future opportunity and purchasing an existing service or product.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
12-04-2017, 12:40 PM
(12-04-2017 12:38 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 12:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So you're saying deliberately overselling pre-orders on my wine yield would not be unethical but airline overbooking is? I'm missing your point.

No, I made myself pretty clear right from the start. Your example is totally irrelevant. That doesn't change if you move the goal posts.

If you mean to say that outside influences in a project can crash investments, you got a point. But I'm sure you see the fundamental difference between an investment in a future opportunity and purchasing an existing service or product.

Outside influences cancel flights all the time. How existent was it then? Come up with a better analogy if you don't like mine.

#sigh
12-04-2017, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 09:30 PM by Airportkid.)
(12-04-2017 04:49 AM)abaris Wrote:  ... Not as in greedy corporatists pressing out the last dime by selling more than what's available ...

When wedding planners schedule caterer service do they order only just enough service for the RSVPs minus the statistically expected no-shows? No, they order at least as much as the RSVPs plus some extra to cover the statistically expected attendees who failed to RSVP but came anyway plus the statistically expected number of crashers and unplanned taggers along. The party paying accepts the extra cost and recognizes that there will be some "wasted" money in unused portions, but that's the price paid for the uncertainty of scheduling. It would "unethical" - or at least stingily discourteous for the host to deliberately risk not having enough for every guest that does show up.

It's the same equation for the airlines, except that the party paying is insufficiently educated about the financial repercussions of scheduling uncertainties so squalls when it sometimes causes inconvenience.

If airlines didn't overbook then ticket prices would rise. Ticket prices are where they are because overbooking makes every available seat a paid seat. It causes inconvenience because uncertainty is fuzzy, but the cost of the inconvenience is less than the cost of higher ticket prices without overbooking. The fault isn't in the overbooking but in how it gets applied, and there the airlines could make improvements, mostly in making it much more clear to the public why overbooking allows them to buy a seat at the current prices instead of something higher.
12-04-2017, 12:56 PM
(12-04-2017 12:52 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ... Not as in greedy corporatists pressing out the last dime by selling more than what's available ...

Hey now. Those ain't my words.

#sigh
12-04-2017, 12:57 PM
(12-04-2017 12:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Outside influences cancel flights all the time. How existent was it then? Come up with a better analogy if you don't like mine.

Outside influences as the airline overselling and shoehorning their own employees on board at the expense of paying customers isn't the same as a blizzard preventing takeoff for safety reasons.

I don't need or want to come up with a better example. The practice is immoral and down to corporate greed. Regardless what is being sold or which service cannot be consumed because of shady business practices. The consumer shouldn't have to beg to get what they paid for. And least of all, they shouldn't be manhandled if they insist on consuming their purchase.

If they had taken off with the ones on board and offered the stay behinds a refund, I would be able to muster some understanding. But for practices like that, never. I hope he sues the living hell out of them.

12-04-2017, 03:46 PM
WaPo: Crucified Man Had Previous Run Ins With Authorities.

Interesting piece written by Alexandra Petri about how quick we are to blame people and use their background against them. Since a certain anniversary is being celebrated by some this week...

Quote:The gentleman arrested Thursday and tried before Pontius Pilate had a troubled background.

Born (possibly out of wedlock?) in a stable, this jobless thirty-something of Middle Eastern origin had had previous run-ins with local authorities for disturbing the peace, and had become increasingly associated with the members of a fringe religious group. He spent the majority of his time in the company of sex workers and criminals.

He had had prior run-ins with local authorities — most notably, an incident of vandalism in a community center when he wrecked the tables of several licensed money-lenders and bird-sellers. He had used violent language, too, claiming that he could destroy a gathering place and rebuild it.

At the time of his arrest, he had not held a fixed residence for years. Instead, he led an itinerant lifestyle, staying at the homes of friends and advocating the redistribution of wealth.

He had come to the attention of the authorities more than once for his unauthorized distribution of food, disruptive public behavior, and participation in farcical aquatic ceremonies.

Some say that his brutal punishment at the hands of the state was out of proportion to and unrelated to any of these incidents in his record.

But after all, he was no angel.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
12-04-2017, 03:51 PM
A computer, and that was the one making the choice of this particular passenger being taken off the plane, doesn't have prejudices, only algorhytms.

I fail to see what the good old Jesus tale has to do with it. I also fail to see, why, in this case, this one passenger would be the victim of racial screening. Well, unless the staff programmed the computer doing the lottery to do racial profiling.

Jesus, whatever people choose to associate with that figure, is entirely irrelevant, as is the above story.

12-04-2017, 04:02 PM
(12-04-2017 03:51 PM)abaris Wrote:  Jesus, whatever people choose to associate with that figure, is entirely irrelevant, as is the above story.

Fanning the flames of moral outrage is the relevance. The stupid brain is still pondering the algorithm to decide if this is a good thing, but it's definitely a thing. I'm not here because I have skin in the game, I'm here because this is where everybody is at.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 04:50 PM
We need an airline "Uber" startup which provides real competition.
All the majors can go straight to hell.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.