United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 04:50 AM by abaris.)
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(12-04-2017 09:48 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Without it ticket prices would be higher.

Or that's what the airlines say. It's all to keep ticket prices as low as possible. I call bullshit, since you only have to do a little bit of math here. Even if a continental flight costs 300, which is already high compared to European standards, and they overbook by four or five, they make and additional 1200 to 1500, which is nothing as compared to maintaining, fuelling and landing fees. Also break these additional 1500 down to the total passengers of any flight and you end up with a few dollars additional ticket prices per capita, if the tale of the airlines was true.

All they are doing is pressing out the last possible dime of the rotten fruit. The flights you are getting these days are the bare bones. Virtually any other service than taking a seat costs you extra. Quite pricey extras actually. That's how they're making money and that's what allows to keep up appearances as far as ticket prices are concerned.

Earlier, when this argument first came up, I had a look what a ticket Vienna (my hometown) to New York costs these days. It's between 100 and 350 Euros, depending on the airline. Do you really think even a dozen overbooked passengers are saving the ticket prices here? For give or take 8000 kilometers?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
13-04-2017, 05:04 AM
Apologies if this video has already been posted...

New video shows argument that led to United Airlines passenger being dragged from plane:

http://tinyurl.com/n2e2aj9

We're a bit behind Downunder LOL. Or is that ahead?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
13-04-2017, 05:58 AM
Quote:I strongly suspect that Fred more or less agrees with most of what I said, above. He has also been trying to point out that the situation was, in some sense, inevitible, because it's merely symptomatic of a larger problem.

I appreciate that. I know I've alienated people because the imagery doesn't pull at my heart strings. It's the way my brain works I guess. One death is a tragedy a million is a statistic. It's a normal human thing that maybe I don't have much of. I've been called a troll, an asshole, told I deserved to be beaten, my alcoholism was brought into it, and I'm accused of lacking empathy (and in this case I do). If I'm ostracized oh well. I know who I am. I mentioned giving to Doctors Without Borders to point out it pains me how much suffering is in the world. Believe me or don't believe me or accuse me of dick wagging or whatever but after I first read the numbers of people who starved in North Korea's famine I cried everyday for about 3 months. It's normal to feel empathy when you see an individual being treated poorly but my brain doesn't usually work like that. I'm not sentimental that way.

Seeing that CEO on TV surprises me. I do know he's full of shit but it goes to show how the public reaction to a story where a man wasn't even seriously hurt can have a big impact. It's hard for me to relate but that doesn't make me a bad person. I think I am wired differently.
13-04-2017, 07:16 AM
(12-04-2017 09:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  No, Dao didn't deserve to get roughed up. But as a Doctor he should have been intelligent enough to realize that resisting three cops was not going to be a winning play for him.

Maybe I'm just being overly cynical, but there's a pretty good chance he will get a huge financial settlement out of this, and United has already lost a bundle of money. In a sense, that is a "winning play" for him, and I can't help but wonder if he was aware of that right from the start.

It almost reminds me of the guy in "Dirty Harry" who paid someone to beat him up so he could blame it on Harry.
13-04-2017, 08:04 AM
(13-04-2017 07:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Maybe I'm just being overly cynical, but there's a pretty good chance he will get a huge financial settlement out of this, and United has already lost a bundle of money. In a sense, that is a "winning play" for him, and I can't help but wonder if he was aware of that right from the start.

It almost reminds me of the guy in "Dirty Harry" who paid someone to beat him up so he could blame it on Harry.

And rightfully so, if he gets a huge bundle of money. I mean, why is there even a dispute over that incident? Are we already so complacent about corporate behavior these days, that we take for granted that they can take away what you purchased at a moments notice?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
13-04-2017, 08:09 AM
(13-04-2017 05:58 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:I strongly suspect that Fred more or less agrees with most of what I said, above. He has also been trying to point out that the situation was, in some sense, inevitible, because it's merely symptomatic of a larger problem.

I appreciate that. I know I've alienated people because the imagery doesn't pull at my heart strings. It's the way my brain works I guess. One death is a tragedy a million is a statistic. It's a normal human thing that maybe I don't have much of. I've been called a troll, an asshole, told I deserved to be beaten, my alcoholism was brought into it, and I'm accused of lacking empathy (and in this case I do). If I'm ostracized oh well. I know who I am. I mentioned giving to Doctors Without Borders to point out it pains me how much suffering is in the world. Believe me or don't believe me or accuse me of dick wagging or whatever but after I first read the numbers of people who starved in North Korea's famine I cried everyday for about 3 months. It's normal to feel empathy when you see an individual being treated poorly but my brain doesn't usually work like that. I'm not sentimental that way.

Seeing that CEO on TV surprises me. I do know he's full of shit but it goes to show how the public reaction to a story where a man wasn't even seriously hurt can have a big impact. It's hard for me to relate but that doesn't make me a bad person. I think I am wired differently.

It's not about a bloody nose. It's about personal safety when travelling, and paying for something and getting bloodied when holding on to it.

No wrong is right because there are worse wrongs. That is not the way it works.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
13-04-2017, 08:23 AM
The process United (and possibly other airlines) have in place is flawed or non-existent, it is born of expediency and lack of forethought.

This may be the first time a passenger already sitting down in their seat has refused to willingly disembark (though I find that hard to believe) so they were unprepared and resorted to the baser instinct and that is to call in security and forcibly remove the passenger. They sent in airline law enforcement who are not being asked to come up with a peaceful solution to the problem. These guys are paid to be enforcers, period.

The responsibility lies entirely on the company processes drafted by the head honchos for this scenario, that is to say they don’t have one other than forcibly removing the passenger after offering money and no one taking it. This oversight will cost the company and rightfully so. I can hear the scrambling now of all other carriers meeting with their lawyers and drafting new procedures for dealing with this situation. Memos flying across the interwebz on how to deal with this scenario or ones similar to it if they ever arise.

I find it interesting that in none of the videos you see the Captain or crew speaking with the passenger. Maybe they did, maybe they didn’t but it would seem to me that a Captain would use much more tact. I would also think that the crew would have a way of quickly contacting HQ for guidance. Invariably though they too would simply look at the company rule book and fail to find a remedy other than force.

Costly lesson for United.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
13-04-2017, 08:33 AM
The dude with his daughter and lawyers are about to hold a press conference.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/13/united-pas...r-lawsuit/

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
13-04-2017, 08:35 AM
(13-04-2017 08:04 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Maybe I'm just being overly cynical, but there's a pretty good chance he will get a huge financial settlement out of this, and United has already lost a bundle of money. In a sense, that is a "winning play" for him, and I can't help but wonder if he was aware of that right from the start.

And rightfully so, if he gets a huge bundle of money. I mean, why is there even a dispute over that incident? Are we already so complacent about corporate behavior these days, that we take for granted that they can take away what you purchased at a moments notice?

I'm not excusing United's actions at all. What they did is outrageous. I'm just suggesting that maybe this guy wasn't being stupid (as Dr H suggested) by resisting the police, but rather being clever (as in "I'm going to make a lot of money out of this").
13-04-2017, 08:44 AM
(13-04-2017 08:35 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 08:04 AM)abaris Wrote:  And rightfully so, if he gets a huge bundle of money. I mean, why is there even a dispute over that incident? Are we already so complacent about corporate behavior these days, that we take for granted that they can take away what you purchased at a moments notice?

I'm not excusing United's actions at all. What they did is outrageous. I'm just suggesting that maybe this guy wasn't being stupid (as Dr H suggested) by resisting the police, but rather being clever (as in "I'm going to make a lot of money out of this").

Which is why I stand by my earlier statement that everyone involved is probably being an asshole.

Censored United for creating this situation and Censored this elitist race bating sue happy Asian.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post